Northern Ireland Running

301 to 320 of 20,244 messages
28/04/2005 at 10:13

Kenny

Angie v. unprepared to commit herself until today - and then just repeated what's on the BBC website anyway......if it's right, looks quite good...glad it's not mara day today......

Did 30 mins yesterday - felt heavy and slow....still can't decide whether to carry drinks or gamble on what's provided by the organisers and my support team (one adult and three children aged 10, 8 and 16 months).
28/04/2005 at 11:02
I've been keeping an eye on the weather for the past couple of weeks it changes every day. 16-18 is quite warm to for a marathon nice for the relay runners who can catch a few rays while waiting at the change over points.

Chris there should be plenty of water you may have to stop to ensure that you get enough. Its difficult to run and drink from a plastic cup. If its going to be warm you have to make sure and take plenty of water on board early so that you don't become dehydrated and suffer later in the race.
28/04/2005 at 11:05

Thanks for that Kenny
28/04/2005 at 11:33

Personal weather forecast from Angie - she says it will be "cloudy-warm" and almost humid, unless the cold front on Sunday moves through and "lifts it a bit", 13 degrees, wind fairly light from the south....adding, "It will make the pint taste even better after........"

So there you go.
28/04/2005 at 11:36
Thanks Chris is Angie buying the first pint
28/04/2005 at 11:42

She's already coughed up sponsorship fiver....I'll buy you one on her behalf
28/04/2005 at 14:26
James, Robert said that there would be room on the bus. I am planning about 5 miles at an easy pace.
My Number 1s 522.
28/04/2005 at 15:55
jsut as long as the light southerly is from behind all the way!!

with regards water, little and often i find best. oh and avoid gulping ti leaves you with hic ups.
29/04/2005 at 13:57
Hi everybody not long to go now. I ran 5 mile last night at marathon pace the achilles was OK after about 2 miles. Resting now until Sunday an easy couple of miles followed by a good stretch.
James Robert says that a couple of people have droped out so plenty of room on the bus see you tomorrow about 11.
29/04/2005 at 14:14
James,

Hi. No, I don't race more than 15 miles or (more usually) half-marathon distance.

I live near Northolt RAF base. Very handy for long runs around Hillingdon woods. Prior to that used to run around Wanstead: handy for Epping Forest.

Miss Ireland though. I didn't start running until about 7 years ago, long after I moved away from Coleraine...pity.
30/04/2005 at 18:34
Hi everybody - Not long to go now. Make sure to hydrate well and carbo load. I got the runner's pack - over 1700 taking part. I hope you all have a great day. I think it will be around 16 degrees C but there's a chance of showers. It should be OK though.

The best of luck to you all and I hope you all have good runs.
30/04/2005 at 18:45
Hi everybody Went up and got running pack this morning taking it easy carboloading and drinking plenty of water.

Good luck on Monday see you at the end
01/05/2005 at 09:15
Hi everyone went out for an easy couple of miles this morning at marathon. Warm and dull had agood stretch when I got home going to relax for the rest of the day.
Take it easy see you tomorrow
02/05/2005 at 13:04
Congratulations to all the Belfast runners. You've completed the longest marathon ever run in Belfast
02/05/2005 at 21:46
Well I did it in 4:15 suffering tonight but the ackes and pains will disappear with a good nights sleep.
Hope you are feeling a bit better Seamus it was tough going out there in that heat.
What about the rest of you how did you get on and did you like the new course.
Congratulations to everyone who finished.
I would like to know exactly how far we had to run.
02/05/2005 at 21:59
dont really care for the new course. too many long boring bits and no support ie, shore rd, coast path, duncrue, sydenham by pass, airport rd - pants:-((

how did the rest of you do??

I was going great to 12m 79.30, then going down the grassy bank during the detour tweaked groin when i slipped. uncomfortable during the coastal path and nasty breeze, then sore round twisty bit at 4th changeover. not good up the slip road at 20, 2.23.30 and then down hill agony after that. had to result to walk run after 5th changeover, hobbled over in 3.15 ish.

the detour was noticeable as i had walked the real bit on sat afternoon. fighting through people going all directions there was hellish.

still i have a nice glow and a white vest thanks to the sunburn. and i have now done an Ultra!!!

If anyone wants comments passsed on to Davy Seaton the race director i will gladly oblige on mon night.........
02/05/2005 at 22:21
Hi everybody - I hope you all had a good run. I finished in 4hrs 21 mins. I was very sick at the end of it - I think I took to many carbo gels during the run and I had a very heavy breakfast at 5.00am.

Then I cramped very badly when getting into the car - but when I came home I did a mile run and it loosened me up and I did another mile run at dark. I feel fine now and am celebrating with a few glases of red wine.

Kenny - You had a good run and you finished strongly. I tried to stay with you for a 100 metres or so but I had no energy left.

James - How did you get on?

Did any of you see mile markers from 10 - 20 miles. I didn't - I thought there would be a good marker at the 13.1 mark but I couldn't see any.

Ian - I found the long stretches of road boring - I enjoyed last year's course better.

Maybe I had higher expectations this year as it was a flatter course.

02/05/2005 at 22:49
Hi everybody

I enjoyed the run but I think the organisation could have been better

Walkers shoud all be behind the runners at the start - runners cannot get into the stride because of this

Too many bollards to avoid in the first half mile or so - these are dangerous

Brightly coloured mile marker placed accuratelt to the nearest lampost and at about 15 foot high up the pole to be vandal proof.

More stations with energy drinks

Some of the cycle paths were too narrow especially at relay turnovers

Relay runners should get off the track immediately - many just chatted and reversed into other runners

Not enough portaloos around the course

To finish on a positive note - the medal is an improvement on previous years.

I heard a wheel chair participant complaining of the rough surface on many parts and too many sharp inclines - he said he will not be back next year.

03/05/2005 at 09:29
Hi everybody glad I finished and because of the extra distance robbed me a PB. I ran 4.12 in London 3 years ago. Was running realy well but not knowing there had been a detour my mile times went ot the window and I though I was slowing down. Missed quite a few of the mile markers but did see some between 10 and 20. Last 9 miles difficult with the lack of support.
Marshaling especially at the turn over was bad it was difficult forcing your way through.
Can't comment on whether last years course was better as I didn't run it but the long straights were soul destroying.
Ian I've also tweaked my groin it was sore about the last four miles. Quite difficult getting into the car this morning.
Give us a few day and we will forget all about it and start planing for next year.
03/05/2005 at 10:51

Congrats everybody on making it round - managed 4.16 after making the classic novice blunder of going off far too fast and at 20 miles having to walk/run the rest of the way........however, the lack of mile markers made pacing very difficult, and the extra bit just threw me completely....it was fantastic though. Having said that, found the Sydenham by-pass, Holywood dual carriageway, armycamp, airport road stretch absolutely soulless and boring - just when you need a lift, there's nothing......

My friend was running with a guy with GPS - at the finish line it indicated more than 27 miles....but I think it was brave and right of the organisers to adapt the course quickly so the race could continue.....

Roll on next year....now I know whatit's like!
301 to 320 of 20,244 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.