Northern Ireland Running

321 to 340 of 20,338 messages
03/05/2005 at 11:29
I agree Chris it would have very disappointing if they had a stopped the race after all the hard work we put in in training.
A guy at work called in this morning, he was running with a few guys with GPS watches and they recorded 17.3/27.4.
I made the same mistake as you and went off too fast it hard to hold back when you feel good. I suffered between 22 - 25 but picked up for the last mile. When we needed support there was none. When I ran London the last six miles was packed with spectators cheering you home and it drives you on and gives you the boost when you need it most.
03/05/2005 at 11:50
I did the relay and was actually starting at the changeover point where the bomb was discovered. Some runners had already come through when they rerouted the race, hence the chaotic changeover. I actually felt sorry for those running the whole race as the path between waiting relayers on either side of the road was often less than 1 m wide.

Comparing this year's course to last year's (what I've seen of it) I can imagine it would be very difficult to run the last miles in the middle of nowhere. At least the weather was reasonable, on a bad day it would have been much worse.
03/05/2005 at 15:43

James - what happened?
03/05/2005 at 18:11

Having had a day now to recover, and get over disappointment of going off too fast, want to have another crack soon. Anybody any thoughts about/experience of Dublin in October?
03/05/2005 at 20:12
Kenny and Co - I'm glad that it was possibly 27.3-4 miles. I thought I ran the race as well as I did Connemara and my time in Connemara was 4hrs 16 mins.

My time off 4hrs 21 mins doesn't seem so bad now as I probably ran an extra mile.

This has heartened me as I know I can improve.

Kenny - You could have broken the 4 hour barrier if there hadn't been a diversion.

James - You still did a very good time

Are any of you going to do the Ballymoney 5 on Friday?
03/05/2005 at 22:16
Sobering thoughts from you all.

I think the markers were all in place, from people saying i saw this one and that one and not the other. With the exception of the coastal path!!! However with all the election posters they get missed, a nice bright flourescent orange/green would have stood out more.

Chris glad you havent been put off and are up for more you lunatic. Dublin is an easier run there is much more atmosphere and support, i have done the last two and am heading down again this year just to enjoy it. I am off to Cardiff 3 wks before.

James, Edinburgh also has a few long lonely bits, the cycle path, protabello seafront and the last uphill 3 miles, good luck. at least they took out arthurs seat this year.

me, am resting poor groin for a week or so then aiming for a few good races form the callender before Longford Mara at end of August.
04/05/2005 at 09:16
Feeling a lot better today, the legs are easing up. The pain in the groin is still there but not as bad as yesterday. The achilles is still swollen so I am going to take at least a week maybe two off to recover.

Seamus the Ballymoney run has been postponed due to the elections and will now be held on Wednesday 27 July at 19.00 so we will all have recovered by then and hopefully do a better time.

I don't know if I would have broken the 4 hours Seamus but would have been a lot closer as I struggled between 22 & 25 miles.
I was a bit down at the end because I hadn't beat my 4:12. Early on I was on schedule to do it but when I heard we had run extra it helped. We can only go on what people are saying it varies from a few hundred yards to 1.2 miles. It a bit like the fisherman the more the story is told the longer the distance will get. I don't think the organisers will ever tell us the exact distance. I can't understand why they don't put a timing mat at the start to give you an official time. The difference between my time and their time is 1 min 22 surely when they go to the bother of using chips this would be simple.

Chris I may look at Dublin in a few weeks.

James how are you put the disappointment of your time down to experience and look on it as a long training run in preparation for Edinburgh. Maybe look at what you ate before the race to see if there was anything which may have upset you.

Baldy I think Dave is going to get a hard time about the new course a lot of people not very happy.
04/05/2005 at 10:32
You could try and use the immodium on your next long run to see what happens. Or forget about using it again.
I know that if I am pushing myself realy hard that my stomach cramps up. Maybe you were pushing a bit too hard and this was your bodies way of telling you to slow down. It always worrying when something like this happens that it will happen again until you go out and have a good run without any problems.
04/05/2005 at 11:54
John Glover on the Belfast 2005 thread measured the detour yesterday and says
Update on distance - surveyor's wheel taken round detour today measuring 1580 metres - take away the 400 metres which should have been run through Gideon's Green and you get an extra 1180 metres run.
The official line from the Belfast Marathon Office is that extra distance was a third of a mile.
Runners wearing GPS watches say it was 27.3-4 will we ever know.
04/05/2005 at 14:39

What does anybody think about the Lisburn half-mara in June?
04/05/2005 at 14:46
Hi Chris you must have recovered if you are think about doing another race.
Lisburn is a tough course run mainly on closed road are bits that are closed off to traffic. Unlike Belfast it is not flat but as I always say if you go up the hills you have to come down sometime. A large field doing the half and more doing the 10K with a lot of kids doing the fun run.
I have never had a good run at Lisburn but maybe this year all being well I'll have a good crack at it.
04/05/2005 at 19:35
Hi everybody - I hope you are all recovering well after the strains of the marathon

I was talking to a friend of mine after the marathon - I think it was his 36th marathon. Guess what? He forgot his trainers and he ran the whole marathon in a black pair of Clarks shoes. Now that takes some doing.
04/05/2005 at 21:54
Seamus, thats a repeat of a regular from dublin. In the past when the race coincided with the train from the south arriving and no shops open, he turned up with nowt but is brogues. Went on to finish the whole thing.

Not too concerned with extra bit now, irrelevent, you cant change the times, how would you do it and what would be the point.

But how do we get rid of morons that caused it to happen, especially in sport??

Lisburn is great, tough but well run adn well attended. Will be running with work folk at their paces. May set up a timed pace group, any thoughts??
06/05/2005 at 09:33
Hi everyone it's all gone quiet after the marathon. I went for a massage last night to try and speed up my recovery. The achilles is still sore so I am resting but might try a light run on Sunday.

Baldy what speed would the pace group go at in Lisburn. Hows the groin.

The re-routing was one of the few things that the organisers got right I just hope they listen and take on board what the runners are saying because if the runners stay away that will be the end of the marathon. What is badly missing in Belfast is a major sponsor who would help fund some of the things that people are complaining about. It would be a pity if we lost the only marathon in the North.
I think they should return to runners acting as marshals as they know what is required to run a successful race. When runners marshal they keep everybody right and give encouragement to the competitors. This year a lot of the marshals standing along the route had no interest in the marathon and were only there for the money. I know its something to do with insurance but maybe runners could work along with these people. I know when we organise a race the marshal are encouraged to give the runners a bit of support.
06/05/2005 at 15:13
Hi James I might go out on the bike on Sunday and give anyone who is suffering a lift on the bar. I think I will wait until Monday and run on the grass at lunchtime.

London has the advantage in that they have full time organisers and a much larger budget.

I think it might be a good idea to have a two lap marathon, with a half marathon and relay. It would cut down the number of relay teams because some of them would do the half it would also cut down on the number of marshals. Hopefully you would have more support.

If I go to a race in which Hugh Ord is running I'll give him a wide berth.
06/05/2005 at 15:35
James could you bring your camera up at the weekend so I can download the pic of the marathon. Might send a few through to the papers to see if they print them.
The pics are up on the Belfast site. 10 of you.
07/05/2005 at 00:18
Hi everybody - I haven't run since Belfast - will run tomorrow.

Ian - Last year I did Lisburn half in 2hrs 20secs so I would be too slow in running with a pacing group.

Kenny - You did well in Belfast considering you were carrying an achilles injury.

James - Every run does not always go the way you plan it. I was very relaxed in Dublin last October and ran the marathon in 4hrs 4 mins a PB - in Belfast I was totally focused and only did it in 4 hrs 21 mins.

I think that if you over prepare a lot of your energy could be left on the training ground.

I'm still inspired by a friend of mine a 53 year old who forgot his running shoes and did the 27.2 yes 27.2 the extra mile in the Belfast marathon in 4 hrs 48 mins - I'll be using that as a spur in the Longford marathon.

From now on I'm going to train harder at home with more hill runs.

The best of luck to all other runners on this thread.

A few more friends are complaining about the bussing to the changeovers at the relays - they say that the busdrivers weren't trained on where to go and it was a complete disaster as they saw their runners from the bus passing as the bus only got to the changeover place.

I would rather run an extra mile than chase after a relay runner.

07/05/2005 at 09:17
Seamus the achilles didn't realy bother me during the run I gace it a good rub with tiger balm before I left home. I felt it a bit going down the grassy slope when we were re-routed. My groin got very sore over the last couple of mile and caused me to slow down.

I think maybe Connermara is still in your legs Seamus which may have slowed you down. Two marathons in a month take their toll especially when you get to or age. Maybe that is why you ran a PB in Dublin because its a good course and you were well prepared. When is Longford? I am thinking about Dublin, a few members of the club might be interested.

Don't rush back too quickly give yourself time to recover run as you feel if you feel like doing 3 mile do it if you feel like doing 10 do it listen to your body for a few weeks. I am feeling very tired this week evry evening when I come home from work I just want to sit do watch the TV and fall asleep.

I think you will run better in Lisburn this year if I go we could set up our pacing group sub 2 hrs. I would like to get under 1:50 which I think is possible if I get over these injuries quickly.
07/05/2005 at 21:45
NIAF website says the extra distance on Monday was 1180m.
07/05/2005 at 22:44
Hi Kenny I did 6 miles this evening in 52 mins and felt good.

Longford is on the last Sunday of August 28th at 10.00am. Its a very flat course - flatter than Belfast this year.

I had serious calf cramps after the marathon as I sat about for a while and didn't release them by stretching straight after the marathon

I was OK the following day.

Kenny - I think I will run my own race at Lisburn - I have a habit of starting too quickly and then tiring in the later stages. In training I'm going to try to stay strong for the last few miles.
321 to 340 of 20,338 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.