Northern Ireland Running

341 to 360 of 20,196 messages
08/05/2005 at 21:47
Well hi all,

getting over my dodgy groin, am going to start back out tomorrow. There is only so much ice a guy can take!!!

Am going to venture out tomorrow night.

I am going to gear up for a few good 10ks with the aim of a good run at the longford mara. Hope to have a good hard summer.

Kenny, I was thinking of about 1.50-1.55 for a pace group at lisburn with the aim of a 3.59 group for Dublin. Have a few takers at work so far for both.

James what goals are you setting yourself ahead of edinburgh, have a good think about your race plan there, it could be difficult in June, hot and hilly!

Seamus dont you go doing too much old man!!!
08/05/2005 at 22:04
Hi everybody - its good to be back running.

Ian I did 5 miles this evening and did my last mile in 7 mins 30 secs - so I felt good. I'm going to do a bit of hard training towards the end of most runs to increase my stamina for the later miles in a marathon.

I broke in a new pair of Asic Gel Kayanos today. I think I'll keep using these shoes from now on. I've been using Nike Pegasus and Nike Kantara as well.

Kenny - I hope the achilles is improving - give it steady gentle stretching.

Some people still claim that the extra distance was more than the 1180 metres that they say it was.

James - Are you back in training yet?
09/05/2005 at 09:14
Hi everyone
Went out yesterday for an easy run but the achilles and groin still sore so I cut short and cmae home. I OK walk about its just when I try to run. Looks like its more rest amd ice packs. I have been stretching amybe have to go to physio to see what I've damaged.

Ian if I get into training son I would be interested in the pacing group. But if I am out for a while will have to give Lisburn a miss.

Don't try to too much too soon Seamus
09/05/2005 at 14:11
Where is the best place to find out about runs in northern ireland or ireland?
09/05/2005 at 15:15
Hi calypso For Northern Ireland look on the NIAF wbesite
www.niathletics.org
click on fixtures and then on cross country and road running.
This will gice you most of the local races. There may also be few small races which are not registered with the NIAF which woulf be advertised locally.
For Ireland
www.athleticsireland.ie
click on calender gives you a list again there may a few races which are not run under AAI.
What distance are you interested in? Where do you live and how far are you will to travel to race?
09/05/2005 at 21:51
gentle 6m in 48 tonight, legs fine and more importantly the groin was fine. Will aim to do simliar all week with rest on fri and 13 on sat, fingers crossed.

James, did einburgh last year, roasting hot all day. Great run, has a relay event and you woldnt even have noticed the changeovers!! first two miles were up Arthurs seat, third was down. My splits were 7.45, 7.15 and 5.45!! well organised but not pb course. will give you the full rundown if you want.

Calypso, also try the clubs local to where you are going, we ahd a guy over from San Diego last year, took him out for club runs and races. Now he is trying to find excue to get back!!
10/05/2005 at 20:41
James, the water was in bottles, however there wasnt much along the cycle path. the energy drinks were just that, in cups, cant remember which make but i used gels of my own instead as usual. As i said the first three miles were up and down then out of holyrood park and fairly hilly round the castle plus a nice cobbled area. the cycle path was humid as it is fairly well covered with trees, not a lot of support along that bit, quite lonely. You then come out among houses and head down on to portabello beach running left then back on yourself having gone round a marshall just to make sure it is correctly measured!! the run along the sea front was long and breezy but there were plenty of people about. it went up hill then on a few of the main(ish) roads before heading into a housing area. That was all up hill at 24M and bloody hard before coming down for the last 500m back nto Holyrood park. plenty to eat and drink at the end plus a goody bag. The end was a cordoned off area for athletes so arrange to meet your other half at a certain point and give her a peg up over the barrier!! plenty of physios/therapists for the rub down. medal tshirt and later a certificate arrived. Expensive but a dam fine race.
10/05/2005 at 20:59
Hi everyone went out tonight and ran 5.6 miles slowly the legs were a bit on the heavy side. The guys in the sports cenmtre showed me a stretch which has helped my groin. The achilles is still sore so I am going to get the ice pack out. Going to rest tomorow and have another go on Thursday.

Janes Brendan say all car dealers are crooks so have a good look around and don't rush into anything there are plenty of car out there for sale. I brought a car off J&A Gage it was a x rental 1 year old never had any problems with it.
10/05/2005 at 23:21
Hi everybody

James - the Asics Gel Kayano are the best runners that I run in. I've ran in Nike Pegasus and Kantara and Grid Shadow Saucony as well as Mizunos.

Kenny - Take it easy with that achilles tendon - give it time to heal.

Ian - you're still training hard - keep it going.

I did 6 miles this evening in just under 48 mins. That's a PB for a training run.

Keep training everyone
11/05/2005 at 09:04
Hi Seamus do you known what date the Maghera 10K is on. My achilles is sore today after last nights run seems to ease up with exercise.
11/05/2005 at 10:41

I think I'm getting on fine - have had a cold and cough, but ready to go out for first run this afternoon......feel heavy and tired, so I definitely need a run!

Just wondering if it's time to think about ditching the Mizunos (two years old - but the heavy mileage was only this year) and going for something else - there's nothing like a financial commitment to make sure you get your money's worth by keeping running. Mind you, the 55Euro I've already forked out for Dublin in October should be incentive enough.

Incidentally, the pix on the sportscam site are not encouraging - just look tired and unhappy, which isn't really how I felt apart from miles 20-25 (or was that 21-26?).

Glad to hear everyone is still at it....
11/05/2005 at 10:53
James it would have been cheaper buying a new tyre. Astra a good car the Zafria I had was based on the Astra.

Chris if you are going to continue doing long runs I would invest in a new pair of trainers you could still use the old shoes for some of your shorter runs. I usually buy a pair every six months (sale time) keeping the new ones for races and long runs using the older ones for the shorter stuff. They recommend that you have more than one pair of shoes and alternate them giving them time to recover. I havn't entered Dublin yet still waiting to see how long it take for this achilles to heal up but the wife is quite keen. I don't know if she gald to get me out of the house doing long runs or a weekends shopping in Dublin shes looking forward to.
11/05/2005 at 10:56
is anybody doing the LIsburn half next month ?
11/05/2005 at 11:28

Kenny - I suppose this is the most expensive time of year to buy new trainers?

Cartman - I understand Lisburn's quite a tough course?
11/05/2005 at 11:42
Chris if you like to try on your trainer before you buy yes it is the summers sales usaully start about the ned of June begining of July. You can get some good bargin on the internet. In the past I've went in and tried on shoes and then ordered them over the internet. Shop owners don't like you doing this but how can they stop you.

Cartman - Lisburn is quite a tough course some tight climbs but you also have some good down hill stretches. Hill right at the end is quite nasty if you are struggling. Can also be quite warm at that time of the year. Good turnout means that you are not stuck out on your own.
11/05/2005 at 12:17

James - here's what dublin will cost me. It's 50 Euro to enter, plus 5 Euro "booking fee" which seems compulsory for just about everything in Dublin (might even explain the price of a pint in Temple Bar)......we've got a room that will take two adults and a little un for 130 Euro, but you could do better than that, and then there's the cost of petrol and parking (20 Euro plus - or you could take the train or bus), not to mention food, drink and shopping.....

11/05/2005 at 12:19

That's 20 euro-plus for just the parking - I know petrol's cheap in the Republic, but not that cheap......
11/05/2005 at 21:18
Hi everyone

Kenny - The Maghera 10K is on Tuseday 24th May, registration (£7.50) starting at 6.30pm - race will commence at 8.00pm (contact Conor at 028 79547400). It should be a good run. I missed it last year as I was on a course of penicillin.

I hope your achilles improves Kenny - Don't push it too much.

James - Dublin is an expensive city - however the marathon is well organised and its a fast course.

Chris - Good to hear from you - you're enjoying your running.

Ian - How's the running going. I'm thinking of doing a bit of rowing to rest the legs from the roads.
11/05/2005 at 21:59
Plenty been going on in the last 24.

Out tonight for a steady 7 in 47 with heavy legs.

James wind not as strong as larne but wind is wind, it never seems to help you dust hinder you :-(

Chris, i use mizuno and wouldnt swap them, rider and precision, and phantom for racing. Good offers in RW at M&M and web at Start fitness. Also recomend seeing Michael, manager of Up and Running in Wellington place. He will check your gait and advise well. Offers discounts too!!! Whatever you choose, choose carefully, feet are essential for running apparently.

Seamus I get sea sick so rowing out for me:-)

Cartman, am doing Lisburn with a crowd and going for 1.55 ish, your welcome as is anyone to join.
12/05/2005 at 07:29

Managed six miles yesterday afternoon in 45' - felt like no distance at all! But it required quite a big effort - legs heavy....still, that's the start of it again!
341 to 360 of 20,196 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.