Northern Ireland Running

561 to 580 of 20,302 messages
28/07/2005 at 11:27
I managed to see the first 25 runners home then I was busy typing in the results and giving the odd swear at the computer when it didn't do what I expected. Have to be careful as one of our members is a Rev and doesn't approve.
Glad to hear that your sister is OK. Running is a different type of fitness to other sports just takes a few runs to get sorted keep her at it as having company will push both of you on.
Cookstown is another 5 mile it has been changed to the Friday night at 7.30 starting and finishing at Loughery College. Couldn't have made it on the Saturday and lookiong forward to see how I go over that distance. Dessies Run 10K on the 30 August 7.30 starting at Templemore Leisure Centre, Derry is another good run
28/07/2005 at 11:39
Donna the results are up on our website link on home page
http://springwellrunning.tripod.com/
You passed quite a few people on thhe way home.
Seamus 5K's are good speed training as they are flat out most of the way. Will have to get the wife talked into a day out and get a fill of cheap disel on the way home.
Happy with the turnout last night 129 entries 124 finishers we had 98 runners last year.
Donna my wife thinks I am mad when I come in from a long run and go and lie in a cold bath for 15 minutes. Non runners just don't understand us mad folk who run.
28/07/2005 at 15:31
Thanks Kenny, passed 27 people, happy with that. Swearing infront of the Rev wld be a real tut tut. Would love to get in another race before great north run. Going on hols on 25 Aug for a week so Cookstown might suit ok. Havn't tried the cold bath yet, sounds very unpleasant but might have to be considered it very soon. Do you think it really helps after a long run? (Dont want this punishment if it is not totally necessary). Do you put ice cubes in the bath?
28/07/2005 at 15:46
Donna I'll just have to learn to bite my tongue.
I havn't gone as far as the ice cubes just cold water. I think it does help the recovery after a long run. After the initial shock its not too bad. The first time I tried it was when I was training for Belfast it was a cold winters day and I got in I thought I was going to die. But you get used to them. If its good enough for Paula Radcliffe then its good enough for me.
Looking at the results you finished just 6 seconds behind Rowena who won the ladies prize in the social race.
28/07/2005 at 15:55
What a bummer. Now that wld have been really special for 1st race. Maybe next time.
28/07/2005 at 17:09
Hi everybody - I went out for a 10 mile run today - its very hard to get going after a race. I'll have to go back to taking a rest day.

Donna - That was an excellent result as you were second in the social run.
28/07/2005 at 19:11
Hello everyone just like to congratulate you all on you recent race. Will be visting N Ireland 16th September just wondered if there was any races around then.
29/07/2005 at 09:32
Hi Anthony Bangor Road Races are on the Saturday 17 no sure but I think these maybe relay races if Baldy was about he would know. The following Saturday there are a couple of trail races one at Springwell Forest, Coleraine 10K and the other at Crawfordsburn Country Park I think it may be 4 miles (not sure). If you had been here a week earlier you could have run the Waterside Half Marathon. Will keep you posted if anything else turns up. I will probably do the Springwell 10K.
Seamus your legs are probably still try to recover from Wednesday and Saturdays run. A rest ady or short recovery run may have been a better the day after a race.
Went out and ran 5.5miles last night got wet but the rain at this time of the year is never a bad as the winter.
29/07/2005 at 23:15
hi everyone hope you are all well and injury free

well done seamus and donna on your pb's this week.

i run a easy 6 miles on tuesday night.then tonight i ran 3 miles as fast as i could and came home in 22mins 33 sec.i always find speed work so tough.

going to do a 16 mile long run on sunday
30/07/2005 at 20:11
Hi folks went to Muff today for the Bob Mullan 5K. 2 and a bit laps of a flatish course a bit of which was a rough lane. Happy with my time of 23:25 but I thought my heart was going to bust throught my chest at one time. The only good thing about 5K's are they are over quick. Good races for getting a bit of speed would never push myself that hard doing speed sessions.

Good time for the 3 miles Jim good luck with the 16 tomorrow. Are you for doing the 10 miles in Ballyclare a good tester for seeing what sort of shape your in.
30/07/2005 at 20:30
Jim - Glad to see you're doing well. That was a very good time for the 3 miles. I hope your 16 miles goes well tomorrow. I did my long run of 18 miles today. I was pleased to do them in around 9 min miles.

Kenny - That's a very good time for a 5K. You're going well at the minute Kenny. The speed sessions are very tough but they do bring you on for the 5 milers and the 10Ks.

Ballyclare will be a good run - I hope its not as hot as it was last year. The Cookstown 5 miler is now on Friday 19th August. Then I'll be geared up for the Longford marathon on Sunday August 28th.

I'll not be on this forum for a few days as we're going on holidays. The best of luck to everyone in their training.
30/07/2005 at 20:52
Ran 10 miles on Friday in 1 hr 24 minutes. Absolutely chuffed to bits. First time ever running 10 miles so was bit of a milestone and am delighted with time. Was quite a tough run, my legs still felt heavy from Ballymoney. Jumped into a cold bath directly afterwards (was cursing u Kenny), absolutely nightmare to begin but your right, u really do get used to it after a few mins. My muscles in my legs were so sore yesterday but ok today. Going to do recovery run of 3 miles tomorrow. Is it natural to feel absolutely exhausted after a long run?
30/07/2005 at 23:33
donna well done on your 10 mile run and yes it is natural to feel exhausted after a long run.i always do my long runs on sunday mornings and sleep all afternoon [that was before the baby came along].as for the ice bath no chance i like the heat to much.

kenneth well done on your 5k time its so tough running fast and you do think you are about to explode.yes i am running ballyclare and looking forward to it as it will be my first race since lisburn and only one before longford.
31/07/2005 at 08:32
Hi all - earlier on said I my visit N Ireland(where I studied) this summer but I am afraid I have my wedding to pay for:O(

Hopefully early next year.

Anyhow - If any of you guys know any rhymes you had at school, please enter them on the "School Rhymes" thread - I would love some N. Irish ones for the book I'm doing -ta:O)
31/07/2005 at 11:19

Well - the 5K charity run in Castlewellan turned out to be the 8K running leg in the Mourne Triathlon relay - don't quite know how that happened. Anyway, having psyched myself up to take kenny's advice to just "blast it" I ran as hard as I ever have - and did it in 34'. Very pleased. Great event - I would be tempted if it wasn't for the swim......get tired after half a length of the pool, never mind 1K of open water......got to really admire people who can do that, ride nearly 40K on a bike and then run 8K in 20 something minutes...different kind of running altogether. Think I'll stick to attempting the odd marathon - although I enjoyed racing with others over a shorter distance. I want to try entering a few more things - got a flier in Castlewellan for the Rathlin run......£25 plus a £25 charity donation - but it includes the return ferry. Promises 10.8 miles of stunning scenery and a "series of steep climbing hills". Anybody got any experience of this event?
31/07/2005 at 16:15
Donna now you know why I don't use ice. Thats good running for 10 miles keep it up and you'll get round the GNR no bother.

See you in Ballyclare Jim its good to a race in the middle of marathon training just to see how you are going.

Have a good holiday Seamus are you taking your trainers with you.

Chris 8K is about 5 miles good time I am the same as you its the swimming that puts me off. Those guy are amazing to be able to run so fast after the swim and cycle. Its an expensive sport and takes up a lot of time training for the different events. I've never ran Rathlin but I've heard it very tough lots of steep hills. Susposed to be a good day or weekend out.
02/08/2005 at 09:40
Hi,

Just thought I would pop on and say hello! Figured I'd better post a message now as Kenny has 6*5 mins planned for us later and I'll probably be too tired to type! I'd be very interested in Rathlin myself, should be an interesting run.

Sammy
02/08/2005 at 11:00
Hi Sammy welcome to the thread. Hope you are feeling fit for later. I had some information about Rathlin not sure if I still have it will look at home and see.
See you later.
02/08/2005 at 11:10

For info....www.rathlinrun.com

Organisers say the race starts at 12 noon but the ferries to the island are at 7.30 am and 10.00 am. These are allocated in a few weeks according to distance each competitor has to travel to get to Ballycastle. Ferries home are at 3.30 pm, 5.30pm and 7.30pm.

Organisers say they're keen to close registration soon......
04/08/2005 at 14:47
Hello Sammy. Hope Kenny didn't push you too hard on Tuesday night. How many miles did youse run? Hope everyones training is going well. I had an awful run on Tuesday night. Wanted to run 5 miles but only managed 3 but they were 8 minute miles. I was probably pushing too hard and ran out of steam. Hopefully will be running 11 miles tomorrow morning, will probably bin the watch for that run.
561 to 580 of 20,302 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.