Northern Ireland Running

581 to 600 of 20,302 messages
04/08/2005 at 15:12
Hi Ladyluck,

Kenny was a bit of a slave driver on Tuesday night again (no change there)! We did 6 * 5 mins with 2 mins rest between. It was very warm and it turned out to be a very tough session. Think we did about 6 miles though I`m not sure. 3 miles at 8 minute pace is not a bad run. Some nights you just feel a lot better than others. Its probably a good idea to ditch the watch for longer runs as getting the milage up is so important. Hope you have a good run.

Sammy
04/08/2005 at 16:26
That was a great run Sammy especially in the heat. I think that was a factor as well on my run on Tues. I think it is harder to motivate yourself when running alone when ur feeling fatigued, it must be great being part of a group when running, it is harder to give up. Kenny u seem to be back on form which is great to see. Still thinking about doing the Cookstown run. Is anyone else here doing it or have done it in the past?
06/08/2005 at 10:59
Hi everyone was at a wedding on Thursday had a lazy day yesterday. Longish run tomorrow.
Donna I ran Cookstown about three years ago. It was the first year the race was run they said it was a flat fast course far from it still a good testing course and you get a good cup of tea afterwards. Having the race on a Friday evening it may be cooler last year I think it was very hot. Looking forward to it to see hope I am going. Doing Ballyclare 10 miler next Saturday.
Sammy needs it a little push to get him going. I think we did about 7 miles on Tuesday. We had about 12 in the group as there was a club meeting after training. Helps when you have someone to run with.
07/08/2005 at 15:39
hi everyone hope you are all well.Just in from doing another 16 miller what a nightmare felt terrible from start to finish and was almost 5 mins slower than last week in a time off 2hrs 29 mins.

kenny that run today has not given me much confdence for ballyclare and as you know its a tough course.
07/08/2005 at 16:35
Hi everybody - Was away on holidays and didn't get any running done as the streets of Prague were all cobbled. My legs were sore even walking on them.

I did a long run of 22 miles (in 21 degrees)today and I was happy with it - but I was very tired at the end.

Jim - Its always hard to put in two good long runs week after week. some people suggest that you do a very long run every fortnight - but I always do them weekly before a marathon. 5 mins down isn't bad over 16 miles - its less than .3 mins a mile.
Its better to do this on a training run than in a race. However when you do Longford you'll be more motivated and with runners around you - you will go quicker.

That's my last long run before Longford - I may fit in a 12 or 13 at some stage - but the real long runs are over - its tapering stage for me now. The 10 miler in Ballyclare will be as good as a half marathon as its a tough course.

Kenny - I hope your training is going well. Ladyluck - Hope you're still improving on the times.

I have to help a neighbour put in concrete foundations for his new house tomorrwow - so I'll be looking after my feet as I'll be wearing wellies all day - wouldn't want a black toenail at this stage.

Good luck to everyone in their training.
07/08/2005 at 21:53
Hi everybody went out and ran 12.7 miles today. Felt good and was able to push up the last hill about a mile from home good training for the finish in Ballyclare. I still find hills tough so don't know how I'll cope on Saturday. Feeling a lot better and hoping to have a good run at Ballylare.

Jim everybody has bad days and as Seamus 5 minutes over 16 miles isn't too bad. It was warm today if you didn't have a drink you were maybe a bit dehydrated which slows you down. Keep looking on the bright side rember your good runs and forget your bad runs. When I am training for a marathon I work out my schedule so that if I ran 16 mile last week I run 14 this and then 17 next week susposed to give you an easy week before steping up the miles the next week. OK if you have worked out your schedule and give yourself plenty of time to build up.

Seamus I don't know how you do those miles in that heat. A full day wearing wellies is sore on the feet especially if its a warm day. What time are you aimimg for at Ballyclare? I'd be happy if I could get close to last years time of 85 mins which is good for that course.

Ladyluck how did your 11 miles go?
08/08/2005 at 10:30
I dont like hills either Kenny but I know it helps my fitness. You will sail through the run this Saturday at Ballyclare. I am sure your last run give you a lot of confidence especially finishing so strong.
Welcome home Seamus, how was ur hols? Did u find having a week off effected ur fitness? I am going away on the 24th to Mallorca for a week and I am debating if I should bring my fitness gear. I am sure u r relieved to be at the tapering stage.
Jim I agree with Seamus, 5 mins is nothing over 16 miles especially when things are so busy in ur life at the mo. I think u should give yourself credit that u are still able to fit in training round everything else. Well Done.
I done 10.5 miles on Fri 1 hr 25 mins. Said I was going to ditch the watch but seem to be addicted to entering details into my running log. Started slow and finished strong. The GNR is not scaring me as much now that I am getting the miles on my legs. Just hope an injury is not lurking.
08/08/2005 at 10:42
Hello all, sorry to crash your thread but can I ask a favour?

I will be over in Belfast on business a few times over the next few months, starting this Thursday. I will most likely be staying at hotels in central Belfast near City Hall.

Has anyone from Belfast got any suggestions for simple, easy to follow and safe running routes from the city centre? Something around 4 to 7 miles would be great. My knowledge of Belfast is very near zero, hence the need for simple directions!

I would be very grateful for any ideas. Thanks.

Skip
08/08/2005 at 11:11
Hi Skip I don't know Belfast well enough to advise you on safe running routes. Ormeau Park is good and there is also a path alongside the river if you are out near Stromont there are some good trails which they use for the cross country. The hotel staff may be able to give you some advise. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Ladyluck your going well the crowds at the GRN will pull you through. I take my training gear with me on holidays sometimes it never gets out of the bag but its good to have if you feel like a run and have a bit of spare time.
08/08/2005 at 19:17
Hi everybody - Today was a great day weatherwise. I didn't run today but will do hill running sometime tomorrow.

Ladyluck - Take your running gear with you on holidays and you'll feel better having it. I didn't feel any loss of fitness having a week of. Most people say that even up to 3 weeks off doesn't really affect your fitness.

Kenny - I don't mind running in the heat - I takr plenty of water with me. I'm using that SIS Energy PSP22 powder mixed with a pinch of salt and I think it has helped me recently in the long runs. I don't tire as much as I used to and my lips aren't blue any more when I come in after a 20 mile run.

Skip - I'm not sure which is the best place to run in Belfast - as Kenny says - the Ormeau Park should be alright. You could also run along the River Lagan and cross over at the different bridges to suit your milage. Contact the people at www.niathletics.org and you will get advice from there.

Jim - Keep at the training - you will be raring to go next time.
09/08/2005 at 09:36
Thanks Kenneth and Seamus. Looking at the maps, Ormeau Park should be easy to get to so I will head off there. Hopefully it's not big enough to get too lost!
10/08/2005 at 22:32
Hi everybody hope the training is going well.

seamus well done on your 22 miler.that's the distance i would normally go to when training for a marathon.but lack of time has prevented this. Going to run Ballyclare on Saturday and do a 13 miler the following week before Longford. Have taken the pressure off myself by just wanting to complete the matathon and not worry about time on this occasion.

Could anybody tell me how long it takes to drive to Longford from Ballymena and is it hard to find?

10/08/2005 at 23:52
Jim - I think its about 3 hours drive. Last year we went through Dungannon, Monaghan, Clones, Cavan, Granard , then Longford.

Jim - go to Google - type in - route planner and you'll get the shortest distance from Ballymena.

I might not make Ballyclare on Saturday as I may have to go to a funeral.
11/08/2005 at 10:30
Hi everyone tough weeks training hills on Tuesday night followed by circuits yesterday were we worked the legs hard. Back a bit sore today hope to be OK for Saturday. Weather not looking too good not to be as warm as yesterday.
11/08/2005 at 12:44
Hi Kennny and everybody - can't make it on Saturday as a colleague has died and funeral on Saturday.

I hope you all do well - it'll be cooler than last year - Good luck.
11/08/2005 at 14:36
Sorry to hear that you won't be at Ballyclare Seamus I was looking for you to drag me round. I think the weather is to be windy and cool with the chance of heavy showers. See you in Cookstown.
13/08/2005 at 15:39
Hi everyone just back from Ballyclare. Had a good run finished in 83.25 three minutes faster than last year. Good well organised race with nice wee shower in the middle to freshen us up. Sammy had a good run a new PB 70.09. Look forward to Cookstown now.
13/08/2005 at 18:08
Kenny - Very glad to hear of your good result. That's some going on a hilly course like that. I'm sure you're feeling good.

I'm looking forward to Cookstown - I mightn't go all out as I don't want to be injured for the Longford marathon.
13/08/2005 at 22:45
kenneth ran ballyclare as well and came home in 80.11.i am pleased with the time considering the poor form off late.it's a tough course but i like it fighting the uphills and letting go on the downs.I checked the names and numbers with the time keepers to try and find you so i could introduce myself but i could not see you.
14/08/2005 at 11:58
Jim - That's a great time as Ballyclare is a tough course. Ballyclare takes more energy out of you than a lot of half-marathons would.

I did Ballyclare last year and it took me 90 mins. Jim if you can keep up those levels you could break the 4 hr barrier in Longford.

581 to 600 of 20,302 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.