Northern Ireland Running

601 to 620 of 20,183 messages
14/08/2005 at 20:19
hi all

a rare post from the balding one.

things are hectic at work at the moment and i managed to take three days across the water at the end of july. not managing to run let alone surf. that means longford is a gonna and cardiff is looking the same too unless there is a drastic change which i doubt! cest la vie in afraid

hope the rest of you are all fit and well and running with great gusto.

am involved in the bangor classic rebirth in sept so i hope to see you all at the starting line for a very big day.

keep running
14/08/2005 at 20:34
Hi everyone went out and did 6 miles today nice and easy.

Jim sorry I missed you at Ballyclare 80.11 is a good run.

Baldy good to hear from you again I was asking Fred yesterday if you were still running. Any more details about Bangor is it the old Kodak 10K revived.

Seamus was pleased with my run yesterday finished strong passing four runners on the up hill to the finish. Conditions a lot better than last year which helped.

Keep up the running
15/08/2005 at 09:43
Hello all. Congrats Kenny, Sammy and Jim on the ballyclare run. Youse done great especially going on what I hear about the course. Passing runners on a hill Kenny is very rewarding, ur fitness seems to be back. You never seem give up which is a great quality. Jim mummy and baby doing well. Is baby sleeping all night yet? I ran 11 miles yesterday, did not time it as I knew it was going to be hard due to drinking the night before and havn't been drinking really in recent weeks so think the few glasses of wine really went to my head. I got around but I swear I will never drink before a long run again, it was absolute torture.
17/08/2005 at 09:07
Hi everyone speed session last night legs still felt heavy fom Ballyclare. Its funny how you forget how tired you are when you start to close in on some one during a race your body finds the energy to drive you on. At Ballyclare I picked off the first guy and could see I was closing on the next and just kept going.
Ladyluck hard running with a hangover but sometimes its the best cure you feel a lot better after it. Long runs are all about getting miles in the legs and time on your feet so speed isn't all that important as long as you put the effort into your shorter runs. A guy who runs with us calls the long Sunday morning runs the social run when you run at pace were you can have a bit of banter. He runs a 3.15 - 3.30 marathon and is happy doing his long runs at 9 - 9.30 min mile pace.
17/08/2005 at 14:14
Hows it going? I've just started running for about a month now. on the treadmill only at the gym (part of a weightloss programme) and love it. I've built it up to about 3 miles. After a weeks holiday I bought a good pair of running shoes from a very helpful chap called John at Up & Running in Belfast and decided to venture out on to the road for a three mile run. That was last Sunday morning. Since then my legs have felt like they have been attacked with baseball bats but are getting better and my left foot is a little sore. A perfect example of too much too soon but I'm going to tackle it again on Saturday after my legs and foot feel better. Any advice folks?
17/08/2005 at 17:10
Paulie - Did you stretch after the run- you need to stretch the muscles after every run and run cold shower water over your legs after every run. Its probably only muscle fatigue at the beginning of training. The best of luck in your running.

Kenny and everyone - I'm just in from my last longish run before Longford. I did 10 miles in about 85 mins. I'll run Cookstown on Friday night and then a 5 miler and another 3 miler before Longford. I just hope I don't get injured or have the flu before then.

ladyluck - Good to hear that you're still enjoying your running. I think I run better after a few glasses of wine the night before - I think its the urge to shake off that groggy feeling. Good luck to everyone in their training. Hope to see as many as possible in Cookstown.
17/08/2005 at 18:29
hi everyone run 4 miles last night at a quick pace felt beter as run went on.i will do a ten miler on sunday morning and one short run next week before longford.

ladyluck if i run after drinking the night before it just means i am sick that bit quicker.then again 3 drinks these days and i am drunk' ps mum and baby joe are doing great got my first smile from him last week.
18/08/2005 at 12:26
Hello all. can anyone recommend a good speed work session. At the mo I am walking 1 minute, running 1 minute at 7mph and 1 minute at 8.5 mph and doing this for 21 minutes with 5 minute warmup jog before and after giving me just over 30 minute workout. Kenny thanks for letting me know about ur friend's attitude to a long run, think I will do this instead of beasting myself on this run and ending up fatigued and dreading the next one. Hello Paulie, the next time u get trainers try ur first run on a running machine, that way if they dont suit Up & Running are happy to change them (done this a few weeks ago) but hopefully it is not the trainers that is causing u problems. Try sticking to 3 miles for a while to see if pain leaves ur legs and make sure u stretch well before and after a run. Hello Seamus, hope all is well. Was hoping to get to Cookstown but not working out, so disappointed. Jim, glad all doing well. the first milestones are great, bet u r doing a lot of baby watching. Me and nigel sometimes spent nights just watching baby mark, they are so addictive. Good luck to everyone for the Cookstown run, wish I could be there.
18/08/2005 at 12:38
Cheers folks. I'll let you know how I get on.
18/08/2005 at 22:26
Ladyluck do you do your speed session on a running machine?
Paulie sometimes new trainers take a bit of getting used to. Running on the roads is a bit different to running machines. Keep pluging away maybe just your body getting used to running on the roads.
Jim make the most of the kids when they are young they are not long growing up the time just seems to fly.
Nice easy jog tonight before Cookstown tomorrow
18/08/2005 at 22:44
Anyone out there doing the Gees waterside 1/2 marathon in Derry in September?
20/08/2005 at 13:19
Calypso - I'm doing the Waterside half - its a good run and it a very flat course - although the last mile is slightly uphill.

Kenny and Co - The Cookstown 5 had a great turnout and it was well organised. I managed another PB of 37 mins 26 secs. Things just went together on the night.

Paul (Samuel) had a very good run.

Kenny - You had a good run.

I'm looking forward to Longford marathon.

Jim - I hope o see you in Longford next unday. My race number is 73.. What's your's?

ladyluck - You would have enjoyed Cookstown - it was a good course with some testing hills.
21/08/2005 at 19:39
Hi everyone. hope you all had a good weekends training. Done a 10 miler this lunchtime and got caught in a downpour of rain 4 miles from home. Hope that I dont take a cold before Longford.

Seamus - well done on your time in Cookstown. Starting to really look forward to Longford now. My race number is 131.
I will look out for you (the form you're in I probably won't see that much of you during the race).

21/08/2005 at 19:58
Good to hear from you Jim. I also ran a 3 miler during that rain. We definitely don't want the cold/flu this week. We should be alright.

The Longford marathon starts outside the pub (PVs). Its good because you can avail of the toilets there up to the last few minutes.

I want to try to break the 4 hr barrier - it may not happen - but I'll give it a go. However at mile 21/22 I may settle for less.

The best of luck to everyone else in their training.
21/08/2005 at 21:17
Seamus good luck with longford, i had to pull out of it and also Cardiff cos of work, couldnt do either justice and judging by my current form wouldnt get round either.

managed a staggering 25 miles this week, pb for the last 2 months!!!

hope to break the bubbly out and pass 30 next week.

Bangor Classic 10k should be great run, am still managing to help with organising it, slight difference to old course but with a big field expected it should be dead on and hopefully quick.

Kenny, hope you are fwell on the road to recovery now.

james seems to have disappeared, hopefully i should be back with you all properly soon.

take care and happy running
21/08/2005 at 21:39
Seamus you are going well must give you the confidence to go out and break that 4 hour barrier also you are getting closer to your brother with every race.
May see you and Jim in Longford. Peter Ferris has offered me a lift if I want to go and do the half. He leaving at 5.00 on Sunday morning and comming back that evening will make my mind up later in the week.
Had a bad stomach on Friday evening thought I was going to be sick on the way round but stuck at it and came home in 39.32 was hoping to go a bit better. Good well organised race on a testing course and a nice cuppa at the end. Did 1.28 this morning in constant rain but its warm rain at this time of the year.
Calypso I will be in Derry flatish course but I never seem to have a good run at it but always go back for more.
Baldy when is the Bangor run.
James has signed for a local football club havn't saw him for a couple of weeks as he was on holidays.
I am off to Silgo in the morning for a few days will be taking the trainers with me to do a few miles. Good luck in Longford Seamus and Jim I may be there to cheer you home.
21/08/2005 at 22:21
Hello all. Yes Kenny, I do my speed sessions on the running machine. Is this good or bad? Enjoy you few days in Sligo. We sometimes do the Sligo run on the motorbike. My husband loves the sligo bends on the bike. Will probably be in Majorca by the time u get back. Well done seamus and kenny on the Cookstown run. I was in cookstown dropping someone off at the hotel and was panging like mad when I seen the runners. I am going to the Derry half to cheer on a friend. Hope to see some of youse there. Was tempted to do the Derry half but it is the week before the GNR so dont want to risk an injury.
22/08/2005 at 10:19

Hello all

Glad to see everyone still in the running.

Just back from two weeks off - was in Yorkshire in the Dales with the family - only managed to run twice - big hills both times after reading that book about fell running by that journo - now they are a different breed. Definitely not tempted to try fell running. Tried a long run yesterday but could only manage 12 - need to pick up the effort for Derry half and Dublin mara. When is Bangor 10K?
23/08/2005 at 11:33
Can I just remind youse all out there about the Pegasus 10k at Springwell Forest, Coleraine on 24th September - 2:00pm start. It's all on trail so trail shoes or trainers are fine. You can enter on the day and there's a nice t-shirt, spot prizes and plenty to eat and drink - and toilet facilities this year!!! There's an entry form on our website at www.pegasusac.org.uk. If you need any more info and can't get me give Peter Crook a phone on 7711179131
28/08/2005 at 21:42
Hello everybody - I did the Longford marathon today. It was a great run - it was tough and breezy. I didn't break the 4 hr barrier - my time was 4 hrs 10 mins 45 secs.

Its easy to say that you'll go for a certain time - I found that the last 6 miles (again) are very daunting. Any way - I'm still very pleased with my run.

Kenny - You thought it was very breezy as well and the retarring of parts of the roadways are very poor - they councils down there use very coarse gravel for the finishing layer (not good for running on)

Jim - Although I didn't meet you today - I think I saw you - Are you a tall man - well built with sandy coloured hair. I was talking to you at some half-marathon a couple of years ago (I think so anyway). Its just that another runner at the start said that fellows from Ballymena - but the race was about to start. Driving home I put two and two together and I think it may be you. Am I right? After all that - How did you run go? It was a tough cours - even though it was flat. It was a bit like Belfast - sometimes too long and flat.

Peter Ferris did well. One man completed his 500th marathon today. What a record. I thought Peter Ferris's record was very good.

Hope to see you all in Derry - That's if our legs have recovered.
601 to 620 of 20,183 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.