Northern Ireland Running

9,841 to 9,860 of 20,196 messages
27/10/2009 at 08:57

Robin I haven't had a chance to talk to any of the Springwell Runners. One was just comming back from injury and just hoping to get round as he had failed to make the starting line on quite a few times. He came home in 4:30 he mustn't have been too disappointed as he is now looking forward to training for Belfast.

Well done everyone some good PB's.

27/10/2009 at 11:07

Well done to everyone who ran yesterday some great times and Pb's.Well done Robin,AU,Alan,and Lisoider on your PB'S great running.PTB another great run by you as well the Larne boys were flying.

As for my own run a bit disappointed to be honest just could not speed up at all over the last 6 miles yesterday for whatever reason.Dont know my as the training had gone well but as i always say its all on the day.Must say despite my disapointment Dublin is a great marathon which puts Belfast to shame.

Now Dublin is over i am looking forward already,going to try the 39 mile ultra in Connamara  in April already talked Robin in to it anymore takers

Almost forgot anyone see the match on Sunday get in there the pool  took the old Man u a part watched  it with the lads in the bar in Dublin on Sunday don't know how i kept so calm  

27/10/2009 at 11:24
Jim you'll have to get a bit of that Torres pace.
27/10/2009 at 15:38

Well done everyone, some excellent times,

PTB - so unlucky to miss out on the sub3 but still a cracking time,

AU/Jim thanksfor the company yesterday from phonex park onwards, it helped me alot.

Really pleased with my run yesterday didnt know how it was going to go, pretty evan paced race and felt comfortable and felt strong, Alluphill thought i should have push on from 18miles but i was going to leave it until 20. Stoped for a piss then and couldnt get going again. Stopping andd starting. 3.30 markers passed me at 24 aand a bit miles andd couldnt get back up with it. over 11mins of a pb and defo more to come off that. Now for a week off then a months speed work for the steelet 10km.

27/10/2009 at 17:29

Super PB's Alan (you've learned so much from London), Lisoider, Uphill and Robin - good to meet you two guys beforehand too. Jim - hope you're not too hard on yourself. You've still brought home a decent time, and as you point out yourself - sometimes things just don't go your way, and we don't always know why. I admire (slightly enviously) your next goal - I fancy it one day. But I think I have unfinished business over 26.2m first.

Chip time turned out to be 3:00:23 for me. It wasn't one of those where it was well within reach, and then slipped away at the end. I actually finished strongly, and was darned close to even pace throughout (actually a 15-20 sec negative split, for what it's worth). I just found the required pace tough right from early on - probably as early as 4-5 miles in. I'm glad I hung on, but I was never ahead at any stage.

And was it just me, or was it hillier somehow this year? I'm sure I don't remember that beast around 9m, for a start.

27/10/2009 at 19:07
PTB I don't believe it!
27/10/2009 at 19:30

Congratulations everyone who did Dublin - some really great times there. Paul - you think they could have knocked off those 24 secs for you! Well done on all the pbs - Alan, Lisoider, Robin and AU. I heard it was a warm day for it.

I had a much better run on sat than I had the week before - obviously a bit of wind, rain and mud was what I needed

27/10/2009 at 21:50

Not to want to lower the tone but some advice required here...

I did a long run tonight and got drenched. I'd the t-shirt on under a jacket and when I took the jacket off at the end the t-shirt was covered in blood. The blood was coming from the, ahem, nipple region.

Anyone any advice on what they find best for such things?? It's not something which has happened to me before...

27/10/2009 at 22:27

TG - I've this problem - strangely only with the right one   Tech t-shirts normally sort it out or loads and loads of vaseline etc.  I've tried plasters but they can be a nightmare removing after run.  If you can get your hands on bodyglide it also works a treat

Not funny when the shower gel makes contact - ouch!!

27/10/2009 at 23:03

Cheers HMM.

I've been told tomorrow morning's shower should be interesting...

I've heard of bodyglide so will try it and see about a tech t-shirt.

The damn things don't serve any purpose yet cause all this bother!! Anyway, probably best to change subject now...

Did a core stability class on monday night for first time ever. Discovered muscles I never knew existed. That and an 11 mile run tonight - I think I'll avail of this recovery run technique now!

28/10/2009 at 00:08
Great running at Dublin one and all, those are cracking times.  Bit disappointed myself, was hoping for sub 4.15 but when the 4.30 pace group flew past me at mile 21 I knew my number was up and finished in a PW 4.45.  Overall a good day though, very enjoyable atmosphere all round.  Back to the drawing board now for me.
28/10/2009 at 08:58

TG -vaseline before and after runs.

POH - chin up mate. You've had a great year.

28/10/2009 at 09:36

TG I use micropore tape which you can get in Boots or Tesco. It's a paper type tape which comes off with out too much bother. Sometimes when I sweat a lot it comes off before the end of a run but it works most of the time lest messy than vaseline. I fine some T shirts are worse thyan other.The worst for me is our club vest which is like sand paper.

Speed session last night. 10 x 2 mins, 1 min recovery. The rain came on on the way home from work and we got a right soaking but it's still very mild.

Paul you have raced a lot this year maybe Dublin was a race too many. Just finishing a marathon is an achievement especially when you see your target time go, some people drop out but it takes great will power to go on and finish the race.

28/10/2009 at 10:07
Did a good club run on Monday night. After the first 2 slower miles at around 9 min pace we ended up doing splits of 6:50, 6:57, 6:45, 6:49, 7:22(hill) and 7:11. It was tough but really enjoyed it.  I was off work yesterday to go to a wedding so did a 5.6 mile recovery run in the morning. Now looking forward to training tonight.
28/10/2009 at 10:41

Well done to all the marathoners and XC crew too!

Saw a few familiar Ballymena faces at the Dublin start line (too nervous to stop) and I think maybe Robin at the finish, based on the times posted (too broken to make any sense!).

Really great event- complete batism of fire for me but what a day it was. It was nice to do something with such great support, and really well organised too. We three Springwellers got away steady enough but hit the pace balloon followers in Phoenix Park ,Johnny paced us 2 "youngsters" () up to the 13 miles and sent us on...The 2 week old peroneal tendon injury came back to haunt me at mile 16 unfortunately and then the quads froze at about 20. Pretty annoying- HR was only at 150 but I couldn't get any faster! Chip time of 3:38.25, so happy enough considering the lack of experience...more long runs required if there is a next time!

Edited: 28/10/2009 at 10:42
28/10/2009 at 12:56

joe rocket it was me that spoke to you,recognised you from seven seven event.great run if that was your first marathon.you will have to give it a go to prove to yourself it could be better

Jim ultra here we come and if that was you quiet watching the football,id hate to see you excited(is your phone still in one piece)

28/10/2009 at 22:35

TG - use bodyglide, it doesn't stain clothing like vaseline does.

Off for NY  on friday morning.  Not sure how it will go.  Managed to pick up the cold over the last couple of days - first one in about two years!!!  My right calf has also been playing up, had to stop my last run on sunday morning at 6 miles. Hoping to do the friendship run on saturday morning and then make it round the course on sunday.  Really looking forward to NY, just really disappointed that I'm going in such form - will have to just hope that a positive thinking will get me round. Bib number 18735 if you can spot me on eurosport or you can register for updates at http://athletealert.ingnycmarathon.org/Alerts.aspx

Great running by everyone in Dublin, well done. Hope you all enjoy a rest now.

28/10/2009 at 23:11
good luck rower,just ignore the niggles and enjoy the occasion
29/10/2009 at 07:53
Good luck Rower.
29/10/2009 at 08:53

Good luck Rower and make sure you get up early the following morning and go to Central Park for the merchandise sale, medal engraving and winner's press conference. Great buzz up there. They'll also have a copy of the NY Times with photos and official results.

Or you could just stay in bed.....

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.