Northern Ireland Running

101 to 120 of 20,136 messages
15/02/2005 at 14:50
I was going to do a long run yesterday but found the bed hard to get out of so it will probably be Sunday doing speed work tonight, circuits tomorrow and about 6.5 on Thursday.
16/02/2005 at 15:56
Hi James we run at 6.00 from the Joey Dunlop Centre your welcome to come along. Runners of varous speeds faster runners come back for slower runners. We did fartlek
last night 6x5mins on 2mins off good night dry and no wind. Went to circuits at lunch time today. Got rejected for the Great North Run today another ballot on the 5 March last chance to get in unless I run for a charity.
16/02/2005 at 22:16
What about the Civil service next week, 5m and we all run together, none of the vets going on their own!!!!
17/02/2005 at 09:08
James the civil service is x country. A good 5 mile race. Everybody goes at the one time. Early start for us to travel up. If there is not too much rain you could get away without spikes.
17/02/2005 at 11:28
You can sign on on the day its atarts at 10.30
19/02/2005 at 16:26
On for 16 tomorrow in 2hrs, providing i dont over endulge on the red tonight (birfday drinks and all). Am using th RW schedule for sub 3, week 5 this week for my belfast prep.

done 8x300m hills today (not on schedule but i like to do hills each week on a thurs), why do they hurt even more when its cold wet and windy.

Kenneth looked at the flyer at the club for saturday, first junior race is at 11, men at 1130. But 1030 is good enough not to miss it. There is usually a foootball match on in the bar too after the run.
19/02/2005 at 17:14
James what about stranraer??
19/02/2005 at 21:37
Hi everybody - I had a good week this week as I covered 48 miles. I did a long run today (18 miles) in 2 hrs 54 mins - quite slow 9.66 min/miles. It was extremely cold with a chill factor from the north wind. If I can do another couple of weeks like this and then taper for the Galway marathon I'll be content enough.
21/02/2005 at 10:52
Hi James conditions were good yesterday I ran 16 miles 2:37 still some ice on the roads when we set out. Will see how I go in Stranaer before deciding on the marathon. You should try and build your long run up to 20 miles by adding on 1 mile a week.
Weather forecast for this week not looking good. See you on Thursday.
Thanks Baldy I think we arrived up for a 10.30 start last year to find the the race didn't start to 11.00 better being early than late and it gave us plenty of time for a warmup.
Seamus are you doing your long runs on your own. Speed doesn't realy matter its about time on you feet. Keep it up. Are you going to Stranaer I need a some one to set the pace.

21/02/2005 at 18:22
Kenny - My brother Terence and myself hope to do the Stranraer half - It should be a good race. Kenny - You'll be hard to beat as always - but it will be great to finish it. My best half marathon time is 1hr 53 mins - so if I get close to that or run under it I will be happy.
21/02/2005 at 21:31
Boys be good and book your ferry tickets in advance for Stranraer as there is football that day, 02890748748 ref is 1MAR.

Twill be cold and firm on sat in stormont so bring the trainers just in case.

Am lookisn got do another 16/17 on sun myself james, dont step up too quick and dont forget the easy weeks, the RW schedules really worked for me last year and i say if it aint brok dont fix it!!!
22/02/2005 at 10:38
James there 10 wks to the marathon if its a 16 wk program you should be in wk 6. There is also a training program on the the Belfast site which I am trying to follow for the long runs my milage is a bite light the rest of the week. After Stranaer I may try and run home on a Wednesday night which would give me an extra 11 miles.
Baldy we have our tickets booked for the ferry. I think there is about 12 going across from the club ( Springwell). Running on Saturday glad to hear it may be firm as I don't go too well in the soft stuff.
Seamus I am hoping to do 1:50 in Stranaer or quicker depends how rough the crossing his I am told its a good course.
22/02/2005 at 11:33
James I wouldn't jump from 14 to 20 in one go even if your are running at a slower pace. I would up my long runs by a 1 mile a week 2 miles at the most. Some schedules go up a mile one drop down 2 the next then up 3the next so you build the milage up and have an easier week in between. If you up the milage too quickly that is the time you get injured.
22/02/2005 at 12:15
Thursday's are normally just a steady run for about 1 hour. We are limited at this time of the year to running in the town but in a couple of weeks when the evening are getting clearer we will be able to head out into the country. Tuesday nights are either hills or speed. Tonight is hills.
22/02/2005 at 21:54
Mm hills, got that to look forward to on thurs, 12 of em too.

12x400s this morning so enjoying a beer tonight before tomorrows 8/9 steady.

Kenny forecast for here is lots of cold so nothing but firm ground. Spikes may still be preferred cos of the bit round the playground where the ground slips away.

James i am for sub 3 i hope in belfast, as i said the rw programms have really helped me thus far. Am changing though for the autumn, using advanced marathoning schedule, more miles and slightly tougher, but thats for another day.
23/02/2005 at 15:55
Hi James I've had a look at North Down's site there are some good sites out there. I came across this one which might be of interest http://www.marathontraining.com/marathon.html
Yes what is your name baldy we can't very well go up to people and ask are you baldyfrombangor we might just cause a row.
23/02/2005 at 22:04
can tell me, am baldy, oh and english!!

intend to wear forum top on sat and in Belfast.

managed 3.09 last year and 3.00.32 in dublin so the sub 3 is near.
25/02/2005 at 12:31
Hi James training with James would be OK but I wouldn't go out too often. He's been running for years and is used to training hard. He tends to run for 10 days without a rest. Stephen tried to do it and got injured. Doing a few sessions would be OK.
26/02/2005 at 14:46
Well Kenny hope you enjoyed yourself, goood to put a proper face to the name.

nice new hill that they included this year, it just took the energy out of your legs when you needed it most on the run in.

Still, good training for next weeks half.

James you missed a good one.
26/02/2005 at 22:02
Hi everybody - I am looking forward to Stranraer next Saturday it should be a good race - I got the info today - I haven't read it yet. Did 3, 10 miles runs this week and finished off with a long run of 20 miles (50 in total). Will only do 30 miles next week , that's including the half-martaton. The best of luck to you all in your training, Seamus.
101 to 120 of 20,136 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.