Northern Ireland Running

121 to 140 of 19,851 messages
27/02/2005 at 20:23
Managed a steady 16 today, legs a bit achey after yesterdays race though.

Was it me or was it bl@@dy cold today.

The cold bath didnt help, just thawing out now.

Will take it easy with a 5m recovery tomorrow night, then back to 16 x 200m on tues am.

Hope it is warmer on sat.
28/02/2005 at 11:12
Hi James your car sounds like me when I am running. Did 14 miles yesterday it was tough after racing on Saturday. Conditions perfect on Saturday firm course bright sunshine. I had my best race of the season finishing well in fornt of runners who had been beating me earlier in the year. Met baldy, nice to be able to put a face to the name.
Looking forward to Saturday and renewing my rivalry with Seamus. Has anyone ran Stranaer before, what's the course like someone was telling me their is a hill at about 9 miles.
28/02/2005 at 11:42
Your welcome anytime James but it will probably only be a short run as most of us are racing at the weekend either Stranaer or Albertville 5. About 4 miles and a few strides.
28/02/2005 at 20:28
Good man Kenny - I'm glad to see that you're in good form. I have a habit of running quickly at the start and then flagging towards the second half of the race. I remember keeping in front of you in the 10 miler at Ballyclare but you took over in the second half. I also have good memories of the Stranocum run where you pipped me at the end. I just feel delighted to complete any race. I've shed over a stone of weight since Christmas as I want to break the 4 hour mark in the Connemara marathon on Easter Sunday. I'll try to break my PB of 1 hour 53 mins in Stranraer. I have a slight strain on my left ankle - I think its to do with the camber in the local roads. I'm now running the opposite direction.

What milage are you doing this week Kenny?

I ran 10 miles this evening. I will run 7 miles on Wednesday evening and then rest until the Stranraer run. Regards to everyone on this forum, Seamus.
28/02/2005 at 21:54
Kenny, done Stranraer last 3 yrs. great course, PB potential but not lightning quick. there are a few climbs but the last mile is down hill. It is all out in the country the last you see of the loch is gettng off the boat.

Bottled water provided on course last year and as much fruit as you coukd eat at the end in addition to the goody bag. Very well organised.

16x200 tomorrow then steady 10 wed and some hills thu. Day of rest fri for me.

the weekend should let me know how i am going for Belfast.
01/03/2005 at 09:20
Thanks Baldy I am unlikely to do a PB but would like to do a sub 1.50. I managed it at Omagh last year but I don't think I'am in that shape at the moment. Will see how I do on Sat before deciding to run Belfast.
Tonight its 6x1000, circuits tomorrow and something short (3-4 miles) on Thursday rest on Friday and hopefully a good race on Sat.
Seamus, Ive lost a bit of weight too it makes it a lot easier. You always set out fast and I have to push hard to keep you in my sight. Sometimes I get past and sometimes I don't. Running on country roads is not easy as some have very steep camber. I try were possible to run towards the centre of the road away from the cmaber but this is not always possible with traffic. One of the advantages of going out early on a Sunday morning when everybody is still in bed and no traffic on the roads. I am running about 35 to 40 miles a week with a circuits and pilates class as well. If I decide to run Belfast I may try and run home on a Wednesday to get an extra 10 miles.
02/03/2005 at 20:53
Head & throat cold thingy still with me but undeterred was out for a steady 9m tonight in 63 mins and felt comfy. Still on for a few hills tomorrow but wont go over the top. try taper a bit for sat.

intend to christen my forum vest in stranraer. Will try remember camera for Richk s website anf for fetch too. recommend both, wwww.richk.co.uk and www.fetcheveryone.com. visit them and have a good laugh.
02/03/2005 at 20:57
Hi folks - not posted here for a bit but now I've got another job(more stable than my 1st job - though I'm keeping it) I may be able to get to NI at around August - would love to do a wee race at that time -any ideas:O)
02/03/2005 at 20:57
hope you pairs viruses ease up:O)
03/03/2005 at 09:30
Hard to avoid colds at the moment everyone seems to be snifing. Easy run tonight rest tomorrow for Saturday. Early start for us to get to Belfast for the boat. Looking forward to the race as I've never done it before. Lets hope the weather isn't too bad.

Hi Hoose-Goer a few races in August on the federation calender Cookstown 5 mile(20 Aug)
Dessies Run a 10K in Derry (30 Aug). Last year therwas the Ballyclare 10 mile and a race on Rathlin Island. If you check out the federation website closer to the time it should give you a full list. http://www.niathletics.org
03/03/2005 at 09:36
Cheers Kenneth - I'll look 'em up. At Uni in Coleraine at one time -got an attatchment to NI now:O)
03/03/2005 at 09:55
I have worked in the Uni for 16 years a great place for runners good cross country course and some good routes around the uni. Will keep you posted if I hear of any other races during August.
03/03/2005 at 10:17
cheers Kenneth:O) I left in June 1989. Prob was I was a heavy smoker and drinker at the time and liked me wimmin:O) Did get offer to join Rugby club but declined -silly me!)

thanks again:O)
04/03/2005 at 16:25
Good luck to everyone running in Stranaer I'll see you there
05/03/2005 at 21:32
Hi everyone - The Stranraer half was quite windy today. Some runners said that their times were slower by about 2 minutes because of the wind. The event was very well organised from start to finish. I was very tired on the boat on the homeward journey.
06/03/2005 at 14:57
Seamus if that is your idea of quite i would hate to run in very!!!

put me back by about 2 - 2.5 mins but a great run and yet again well organised. i wont need to buy any fruit for a few days i can tell you. am getting the results emailed to me (hopefully) so let me know if you want a copy.

legs a bit achey taday so only did a gentle 9 but feeel better for it.

whats next on the horizon. was going to do jimmys 10 next week but that would mean sacrificing a long run (20ish). might just hold out until larne half (2 Apr). hate that run but it might just be the means to an end. Then laganside on 17 Apr.
06/03/2005 at 20:06
Ian - I've run in windier conditions. However the Larne run is quite windy on the return journey. If you type in Results of Stranraer half 2005 into Google you can get the results. I had them on Saturday evening. There were 420 runners. You are a good one to run 9 miles today. I'll wait intil tomorrow and maybe do 7. Regards, Seamis.
06/03/2005 at 20:34
well done seamus, found em. good site, www.ukresults.net

good to see kenny getting a mention in the team prizes too.
07/03/2005 at 10:40
Hi James glad to hear you are feeling better. The ferry wasn't too bad until you got up to walk about though you had one too many to drink. Good well organised race but there was a strong north wind which made it very cold.
Seamus your going well it must be the weight loss and the extra miles. Tried to keep with you hoping you would tire but my legs went before yours.
Ian I had all my fruit ate before I got home. Got the result sthis morning.
Ran Portstewart beach yesterday lovely morning bright sunshine cold but no wind.
07/03/2005 at 14:25
Don't try doing too much this week James as you may have a relapse.
Had a good battle with Seamus until seven miles then I slowed. I usuallly catch Se4amus near the end but this time I never saw him. Happy enough with my time. Not quite ready for a 1:50 and the conditions didn't help. It's my fastest half since Dervock last July. Keep pluging away and try again at Omagh.
Went out at lunch time round the Xcountry legs still very heavy.
121 to 140 of 19,851 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.