Northern Ireland Running

15,241 to 15,260 of 20,174 messages
13/06/2011 at 20:50

Got disappointing (or should that be devastating) news today.  Consultant advised me to give up running.  When I said no, I couldn't consider it, he said tht he couldn't guarantee that I would be able to run again.

I pleaded with him to consider surgery, so he sent me for further x-rays and said that surgery may be possible as my knees themselves are in good shape, but again no guarantees.  I have to keep up the cycling (haven't started yet) and try to run in 3-4 weeks and then go back to him.  Of course it didn't help that I winced when I stood up from the seat!

To be honest, I have forgotten a lot of what was said as his voice sounded mufffled because my heart was beating so loud that I couldn't hear a lot of it.  I couldn't even understand the scan pictures, and a lot of it was in latin.  I could have done with someone like Paul B with me.

Not giving up hope yet.....

13/06/2011 at 21:06
A real cruel turn of fate Mags. Just keep believing .....
13/06/2011 at 21:22
Mags, I'm really sorry to hear this. I'll see you tomorrow night at the club meeting. You don't have a copy of the MRI report, do you?
13/06/2011 at 21:27

Paul, I just have the pictures (is that what they are called?), and copy of the x-rays.  Would they be any good?

13/06/2011 at 21:36

Gavin - Newry City runners seem like a good bunch. I'm not from down that way but they organise a couple of races which are well run and also they have done initiatives like marathon pacers etc so seem quite progressive. What other clubs are down there?

Mags never give up - seek second and third opinions on whatever the problem is. Also do your research on it. Also note that he said he couldn't "guarantee" - that is not a definitive you can't run again.

From any research I have read on running injuries and doctors giving the "never run again" diagnosis it seems that they reach this conclusion far too quickly and in addition to that they don't understand runners and the fact that running becomes part of their lives and running isn't just "disposable". Doctors obviously know more than people like me however no one person's opinion is infallible in my view and you should a) not give up b) remain positive and c) arm yourself to the teeth with research.

Also bear in mind that knee injuries are something that appropriate strengthening exercises can go a long way towards fighting off. However that takes a lot of discipline but I've no doubt you have that.

13/06/2011 at 21:39
Sorry Mags,  I'm no good at reading these images.
13/06/2011 at 21:51

TG - thanks. That is what I am taking out of it - I never actually heard him say that I will 'never' run again.  I did ask how come I could run 50 miles one week, and then the next, not be able to run at all. He didn't have any definitive answers, 

I have taken your points, a, b and c on board.  Definitely not giving up at this stage.  Remaining positive is a little harder this evening, but by tomorrow I'm sure I will be fighting back. Have managed to quell the tears for now.  I will continue with the research, and hope for the best in 3 weeks time.

Paul B - No worries.  I will talk to you tomorrow evening and try and get a copy of the report from my GP.

13/06/2011 at 21:56

Mags sorry to haer taht I know how much running means to you but don't give up just yet. A guy in our club was told to give up running he said it was the worst moment of his life. But he's planning to do Dublin this autumn.

I was told I should be running but I got them talked into letting me do a little and sneeked in a few halfs last year.

You may have to forget about the marathons and off road stuff but there are plenty of shorter races out there. It's better to be doing something than nothing at all. I know you wanted to do the Causeway Ultra this year but you'll have to give that a miss.

Get on the bike and keep the fitness up.

13/06/2011 at 22:43

Mags, that is really bad news and probably hard to take it all in just yet. As others have said, he didn't say you won't run again but that he couldn't guarantee it.

I have told my story here before so apologies to any who are getting bored by it, but I had to give up football  in 1995 at the age of 26 because of back pain and was then off work for 5 years because of the back pain. In March 1999 I had pretty major spinal surgery involving trimming a disc and having 2 metal rods and 4 screws inserted in my lower spine. After keeping fit by walking a lot, I decided in March 2004 to try running. My doctor wasn't happy when he heard that I started running to lose weight and certainly didn't allow me to do marathons.  I might suffer in later life but as for now, I am enjoying the sport that I SHOULDN'T be doing.  It isn't a sport that I can't do but that to be over cautious probably shouldn't be doing.

Got a nice hilly 8 miles done with club tonight. Great to be back in a group run again.

13/06/2011 at 22:53

Rodney - I hadn't heard your story before, so thank you for sharingi it.  That is amazing!!  You guys on here are totally inspirational and give me great hope.

Likewise Kenny - thanks for sharing that.

Have stopped crying now.

14/06/2011 at 10:01

Mags - I feel for you, I'm sure you've had an awful day or two. But don't be too down at this stage - all (good) doctors will agree on the diagnosis of something, and generally on the treatment. But lifestyle is something that isn't a simple black and white decision in most cases. One doc might simply see a knee injury in isolation, and it be clear to him that the best thing for the knee is not to run anymore. But another doc will see a whole person, where running will cause deterioration in a knee, but the patient will on the other hand remain fit, active, happy, the right weight etc.... I don't think any of us are qualified to comment exactly on your case (especially as you haven't told us what the diagnosis was!!!), but stay positive. I echo what TG said too - a long-term (i.e. basically part of your daily routine for ever) strengthening routine for quads, hamstrings and glutes will take a lot of stress away from the knee joint itself too, and might make the difference.

Rodney - I hadn't heard all that either, so it must have been a good while since you wheeled it out and bored the old hands with it on here.... I've had a discectomy too (although without the meccano), but I guess I was "lucky" enough to have a faster deterioration (from mild sciatica to basically immobile in 2-3 months), spreading that out over 5 years must have been torture, mentally and physically.

Wonderful, epic stuff at the Mournes - Paul, DS, Robin, Jim, HMM. Robin - you must really love pineapple.

Don't think I've been on since Sunday - I went OK at Decathon 10k on Sunday, pretty much got the 6:15m/m pace predicted, and 38:59. Flat course, and certainly should be good for quick times barring a strong wind. Not the best organised, but it was a first time for the race, so just about forgivable. Good to see C75 flying off in to the distance, even on a sub-maximal effort. What did you get for 1st V35?

14/06/2011 at 18:07
Well done everyone at Decathlon - grdaet running. thanks for the kind words + really gr8 to have more forumites on board. . Speaking to NFU 5 sponsor today - photocall last night. Great wee event. We will soon need a means of id at each race to help with the awkward moment when u sa "are you ... from the Rw forum,I'm HMM.." + you are met with silence
14/06/2011 at 23:22

PTB (and everyone else) - thanks for the supportive messages.  I'm feeling much better today after hearing so many stories from other runners who have been told the same.  I'm still not sure of the full diagnosis, but according to the MRI results the damage to my cartilage is much worse than he thought and there is no guarantee that even after an op that I would be able to run again.

I had a long chat with Paul B this evening and I'm going to go back and ask the consultant to do the op just to relieve the pain if nothing else.  Then I'll take it from there.  After all, I have seen many people with just one leg, or without any legs at all completing marathons, so of course I'll be able to run again.

Who's doing Lisburn tomorrow evening? I'll be there at the finish with scissors in hand

15/06/2011 at 10:46
Anyone running Lisburn tonight I am pacing the sub 2hr group which is going to be fun as my body still in bits from the weekend has anyone a spare pair of legs I could use tonight.

Mags glad to hear you being positive and of course you will run again
15/06/2011 at 11:19

Mags see you tonight I am doing the 10K. Jim I don't think my legs would be any use to you.

15/06/2011 at 14:33
Good luck to anyone entered at Lisburn tonight. I'm doing the Half marathon, but absolutely dreading it. Might well be hanging on to the sub 2hr pacing group though Jim! It would be a really good experience to let someone else do the thinking and keep me from slacking!
15/06/2011 at 17:01

Good luck to anyone racing lisburn tonight and Jim hope your legs hold together.

HMM that is the price you have to pay for being a celebrity.

15/06/2011 at 21:50

Hope everyone got on well tonight in Lisburn. Look forward to reports and results.

I got 10 miles done tonight and was happy to get a few miles done around 7 - 7.15 pace.  Averaged 7.26 over the 10 miles. Hopefully will get a couple more runs of this length  done before Round the Bridges.

15/06/2011 at 22:04

I did the Lisburn Half Marathon tonight but only realised when I got home that I still had my chip attached to my shoe. Does this mean I don't get an official time? I'm happy to post it back if necessary as I'm hoping to do the Half marathon series and would be gutted if I didn't get a time. I have to say it was complete bedlam at the end with all the 10k runners mixed with the half marathon runners. Did not like

Thanks for any replies!

Oh, and I completed in 1:29:18 by my Garmin. Tough second half to the course!

Olb
15/06/2011 at 22:18

Far as I know getting an official time is only dependent on crossing the start and finish lines. The chips don't actually carry any data apart from your ID/race number, all of the time data is collected by the computers attached to the mats.  I'm sure they might appreciate it if you post it back though.

I agree with the bedlam at the end, and the start wasn't much better.  It was the hills that got me though, they were a lot tougher than I was expecting.

15,241 to 15,260 of 20,174 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.