Northern Ireland Running

141 to 160 of 20,259 messages
07/03/2005 at 15:32
I don't know yet will continue to build up and see the advanatge of Belfast is you can wait to nearer the race before entering.
My next race will be Omagh so I can concentrate on my training.
07/03/2005 at 18:09
Hello everybody - I haven't run since. I might do a few miles on the treadmill tonight.
Ian - I must look closer at the results to see Kenny's name. I don't know how you can run a 1hr 28 - that's a fantastic time.

Kenny- Your time of 1hr 53 is very good. If there hadn't been a breeze you could have dipped under 1hr 50. Kenny - I took a carbo gel at 45 minutes - I think it helped me. I shoud have taken another about 1/2 an hour later as I noticed my energy levels falling. At 10 mies I was on 84 mins. That means I ran the last 3 miles as 9 minute miles.

James - It was a good battle between Kenny and myself, however next time out I'd bet it will be Kenny finishing first.

Its just good to be able to compete and If I had finished under 2hours I'd have been happy. At Lisburn last June it took me over 2 hours to complete the half marathon.

Regards to all, Seamus.
08/03/2005 at 21:58
hard speed sesh today.

1,2,4,2,1 min fast with 1 min recoveries three times not as easy as i first thought.

think thats it now until larne for me except for a wee trip to newcastle with work (7.5m XC)!!!

steady 9 to morra
09/03/2005 at 09:51
Hill session last night 8 hills jog recovery. Circuits at lunchtime and if I feel OK I might run home.
Baldy I saw a that session in a Runners World training guide. I quite liked the look of it but we were only going to do two set. We would also do a 30 sec fast 30 second jog 4 times a 3 minute jog and repeat the sequence 4 times doesn't sound a hard session but by the time you get to the 4th set you can feel it.
Thinking about going to Bangor to what the races on Saturday.
James how's the running going. I am full of the cold and yesterday at work didn't feel like going out running but went out and did a good session and felt better for it.
09/03/2005 at 14:03
Did circuits at lunchtime now for the run home might be mid night before I get my tea.
I am doing Omagh will be in Liverpool for Larne. Baldy is doing Larne and Seamus is in Connemara Easter weekend.
Tell him there will be nobody about on Easter Saturday as they will all be away running the Omagh 1/2. He would save money closing.
09/03/2005 at 17:56
Well everybody - I ran (plodded) 5 miles on the treadmill on Monday evening and on Tuesday evening I ran 15 road miles and finished off with 5 miles on the treadmill to make up my last long run of 20 miles.

I took a soreish/uncomfortable pain in my left ankle at the 12 mile stage of the 15 mile run. It gradually eased, but I know if occured again when I am running the marathon that it would really affect my chances of doing it under 4 hours. Its OK today. Does anyone else be troubled with this?

I think it might be overtraining after the Stranraer , maybe doing 20 miles on Tuesday was pushing it a bit.

Regards to evereyone, Seamus.
09/03/2005 at 21:32
sorry seamus, no ankle pains but sore to touch shins, fine bfore during and after but hurt to touch all the the time, strange.

bout time you were tapering now any way.

steady 9 in 63 for me tonight.

james i tend to do most of mine alone, run with the club on mon but more social than anything as i spend most club nights taking the kids or the slower ones. except for hill nights then its a free for all!!!!

if you cant get teh day off for larne just throw a sicky:-))

hills tomorrow for me.

10/03/2005 at 09:50
Well I managed to get home last night the batteries went in my GPS and I lost the signal but I think it was about 9 1/2 to 10 miles. Took me 1.27 but I felt suprising good after doing circuits at lunchtime. Pilates at lunchtime today and then I'am out tonight.
Seamus I get pains in my ankles all the time usually at the start but once I get going the generally free up and are OK. But I have had a pain in the middle of a tun like you mentioned but it disappears after a while could be an uneven part of the road putting an extra strain on the ankle. It is worrying if it happened in the middle of a marathon. It always feels good to get that last 20 miler out of the way.
James I'll not be there tonight but your welcome to come along. The usual crowd will be there. They are looking to get away sharp at six as part of the route is out in the country with no street lights and they need to get it done before it gets dark.
10/03/2005 at 19:49
Hills done cows and quads ache now, rest day the morra.

James dont be doing too much too quick easy to pick up an injury. mix it up plenty and get rest

dont worry about it seamus, you will have no worries at conne, just crack on and do it.

laganside route is slightly different, start at short strand, do the little loop around the hilton etc then along the river to ormeau rd but cross bridge there and back on ormeau embankment thenpass old start and repeat. dont go as far out before you turn. now 1 3/4 laps!!!
10/03/2005 at 22:49
Hi everybody, Thanks for your words of encouragement. The ankle feels all right today. I actually ran my fastest training run for 5 miles at home in 39 mins 50 secs. My fastest race at 5 miles is 39 mins 26secs. I achieved that at Stranocum a few years ago and Kenny you beat me that day.
I must start a bit of speed training between now and the marathon. Regards, Seamus.
11/03/2005 at 15:38
Glad you enjoyed the session James running with a group helps your training.
On the taper Seamus I think I would give speed work a miss until after the marathon. You are going well at the moment and lossing the weight is a big bonus. I think you are running better than Stranocum a couple of years ago.
Went out at lunchtime a ran 3.7 miles very windy but managed to avoid the rain. Rest day tomorrow and long run on Sunday 17 miles weather permitting.
11/03/2005 at 16:21
resting today.

i still do speed work on the week leading up to a mara, usually the tue, 8x400, keeps the legs ticking over, just got to be careful not to pick up a strain!!

James aiming for around 1.25. Course is boring but at least its mainly flat, just depends on the wind.

kenny are you not coming down for the British masters in bangor? was going to do the over 35 race but fell out with the organiser and told him where he could stick his race!! may marshall as a favour to a friend though.
13/03/2005 at 20:25
some great racing i thought kenny. the o35 race was binned due to lack of interest, may be that tells a tale, we 35 - 39 yr olds dont wanna be vets so LEAVE THINGS ALONE!!

managed a steady 20 today in 2.20 well on target and felst not bad. left some water and a gel out last night at an opportune spot, well worth doing if you can plan it right.

club night tomorrow, why did i tell everyone we were going to do hills in castle park :-((
14/03/2005 at 09:52
Some good racing on Saturday at Bangor those old fellows can still motor. Glad as wasn't racing as I think I'd have been last again, but didn't feel like racing so soon after Stranaer. Ran 17 in 2.42 on Sunday, cold with the odd snow shower. I think I've solved my problem with blisters on my feet by straping them up before going out. Ian I tried having a cold bath when I came in to help ease the legs nearly died of hypothermia, and I don't know if it helped.
Easy jog on the cross country today.
14/03/2005 at 10:49
James what have you got up to on your long run. Runners World have a six week schedule (in this months mag) for runners who have left it late or been injured. It may be an idea to have a look at it which may just put you back on schedule. You may have to cut out one of the half marathons which I am sure you don't want to doo after getting the time off.
14/03/2005 at 21:45
Well kenny what about the legs, mine were dead on today, nice steady 6 tonight and not a twinge after yesterday.

James onyl thing i can add is try early mornings and late nights, it takes some getting up at 5.45 but its one way of making time. Its what i sometimes have to revert to when work interferes.

that and readjust your sights, i was aiming for connemara ultra but got injured before xmas and had to forget it and concentrate on belfast instead with Cardiff in Oct being my main target after some (hopefully) good summer training.
15/03/2005 at 09:09
Ian my legs felt OK a bit heavy but no twinges went for a nice easy 4 miles round the xcountry there must have been a lot of rain because it was a bit soft. Pilates at lunchtime speed session tonight. I find that I run better in the evening after pilates session.
James no problem if you want to come along on Sunday. I leave the house at 8.15 jog down to meet the group at 8.30 do a run and then add on a bit extra to give me the distance on my schedule. I am planning on doing 18 this Sunday. The faster guys tend to go on and turn back. I find going out at this time you miss a lot of the traffic and are back finished early and the rest of the day is free to do what you want. I don't know if 18 miles the week before a 1/2 is a good idea but my main aim is to get round the full marathon.
15/03/2005 at 14:06
If you are going out as part of a group it tends to keep you a little bbit more motivated
15/03/2005 at 20:03
Hi everybody - Good to see you are all running well. Its great now with the milder weather, the training is more pleasant.

I did 10 miles this evening. I'll run 6 on Thursday evening and then 8 on Saturday. After that I'll run a 5 miler on Monday and then on the Friday before the Connemara I'll run a 3 miler.

I think I'll not be able to break the 4 hour barrier as Connemara is quite a hilly run.
Regards, Seamus.
16/03/2005 at 09:21
We did a speed session last night 6 mins on 2 mins off. Tired at the end. Feel OK today.
Circuits at lunchtime then run home this evening. Training as normal tomorror night as not every one gets this holiday. It takes a while to get the flu completely out of the system James which may be why your legs tighten a bit towards the end.
Got an entry form for Belfast yesterday but havn't go round to filling it in.
Hi Seamus Glad to hear the training is going well it won't be long now. Connemara is a tough run and a lot depends on the weather. 4 hours will be tough but I think you are in better shape than last year so if you don't get the 4 I think you will do a better time than last year. Good luck and I hope you miss the cold and flus that are going around.
141 to 160 of 20,259 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.