Northern Ireland Running

17,201 to 17,220 of 20,196 messages
11/06/2012 at 22:30

Oops DS - I forgot about you.   

13/06/2012 at 10:12

Just noticed entry date for Lisburn had been extended to Friday, so I've just entered the 10km race this morning. Was going to do a run next Wednesday morning and then go to watch in Lisburn but just decided to enter and run instead.

13/06/2012 at 13:25

Hi Rodney..really gutted I cant make Dervock...local marathon also that day, 2miles from my folks house so I really couldnt turn that one down

Wow, DS - that is nuts! you clearly are mental!

13/06/2012 at 14:08

Completed the Downpatrick to Saintfield leg of the "Real Relay" this morning. Joe ran with me to Crossgar and then protected my back from rush hour traffic as an outrider in car. Handed it over to Neal Skelton. 

http://www.endurancelife.com/realrelay/

Hats of to the Guys who took it to the top of Donard overnight enroute from Hilltown and well done Murlough AC getting it from Newcastle to Downpatrick on a wet morning. 

Good luck to HMM for leg 205 Bellaghy to Ahoghill this evening....

Is this the way The Olympic torch should have been carried around the country? More real runners involved and not a bus in sight. 

Edited: 13/06/2012 at 14:10
14/06/2012 at 08:32

There will be a training run around the new dervock course on Saturday 23rd June meeting in the Dervock car park (centre of village) 10am. This is an open invitation to anybody who wants to come along and as race director Bryan Edgar says experience first hand the fast downhill sections on the new look course!!! Looking forward to seeing you there!!

Well done to the real relay gang. You've got a point Lisoider.

Edited: 14/06/2012 at 08:33
14/06/2012 at 09:11

I hope to be able to make that run in Dervock Kenny. Will see if any others are interested from club.

Managed 1 set of intervals last night and hamstring was fine. Didn't do the 2nd set to be safe and also because I'm racing in Antrim tomorrow night.

Well done in the Real Relay Lisoider.

15/06/2012 at 09:03

4miles recovery run last night in the pouring rain. Hope conditions aren't too bad in Antrim tonight.

D S
15/06/2012 at 16:28
Hi folks, sorry it's taken me so long to log on and report back from Ironman Lanzarote. First of all thanks to everyone for all your messages and texts before and after the event. It was awesome and humbling to switch on my phone after finishing the Ironman to find so many texts and voicemails from loads of runners and triathletes on here.

Ironman was the longest, hardest but in a crazy way the most enjoyable event I've ever done. One of the best pieces of advice I got beforehand was to enjoy the event and take time during each discipline to smile and remember the fact that it wasn't just a long swim, bike or run but an Ironman swim, Ironman cycle and Ironman marathon. The challenge of the event was increased by having to up the training I'd been doing for a half Ironman and marathons to suddenly stepping up the training for an Ironman at short notice, but it reduced the taper madness I'd have experienced otherwise! A good friend, Jeff Curry, whom many of you know is doing Ironman Frankfurt next month (see the Jellyman Blog for details!) and he's currently worrying about any niggle as a potential major injury. I've tried to help by explaining that 4 weeks out from my IM I was entering the peak phase of my training... It's not recommended!

I travelled to Lanzarote on the Thursday before race day on Saturday, so there wasn't too much time to acclimatize to the heat. On race day it was still dark when I arrived at T1 at about 6am to check my bike hadn't punctured as it was racked overnight, fill my water bottles and stash gels, bars,spare tubes etc on the bike and in the pockets of my cycling top. I then took my T1 bag to my numbered space on the racks and after the usual portaloo queues got into my wetsuit and headed onto the beach to join the other 1600 or so competitors. Watching the sunrise on the beach, surrounded by experienced and aspiring Ironmen from all over the world was an amazing experience. One of the most memorable moments was shortly before the start when the announcers addressed the athletes in Spanish, English and German and told us that "it's a wonderful world" before playing the Louis Armstrong classic over the PA system. I love that song and was still on a high when the race started and we all started toward the water. I held back to avoid the "washing machine" of a mass triathlon swim start - great to see from the beach but not so much fun in the middle of it! By the time I ran into the sea I was relieved to find some clear water in front of me and plenty of swimmers on either side so I didn't have to worry too much about sighting buoys for the turns and was able to quickly get into a rhythm without worrying I was merrily making my way for Morocco when everyone else turned left at the marker buoy! The water was clear, calm and by Northern Irish open water standards, pretty warm. The course was 2 laps with a short run up the beach over a timing mat at the end of the first lap. I felt comfortable in the swim and managed 2 consistent laps well ahead of my previous PB at the overall 3.8k distance.

At T1 volunteers applied sunscreen as I was pulling my wetsuit off and getting ready for the bike. On leaving T1 at @7:45am I saw a temperature gauge reading 28C and knew the bike course was going to be tougher than any of my long rides or hill sessions up and down the hills round Craigantlet and Dundonald! Hot, windy, hilly it was, but the support round the course and through all the villages was superb. The weree loads of aid stations to refill bottles with water, flat coke or energy drinks as energy bars and bananas all along the route. The scenery was stunning and helped take my mind off the pain and heat. Some of the climbs were immense - there is more than 2550m of ascent during the 180km course. Heading up Mirador del Haria I was barely making 5mph at some stages and worried I was goin
D S
15/06/2012 at 16:45
Ah, must have exceeded the word count and lost half of that report. The short version now follows; the downhills made up for the long ascents and in a few places I manag to hit the interesting side of 50mph on 2 wheels! Overall i was on the bike for just over 8 hrs slowly removing all traces of sunscreen On my hands, arms and legs through a combination of sweat, water, wind and sand. The marathon was tough - still over 30C when I started and I was taking on fluids as well as stuffing ice and wet sponges down my trisuit to keep my core temperature down throughout the run. It was more of a walk, as the time shows, but I had entry of great company all the way round. I managed to ignore the pain in my knee to slowly jog the last 3k in to the line. Hearing my name over the PA system and being greeted by the race director, Ken, at the line and being officially welcomed into the Ironman family, was truly awesome. The overall time wasn't fast but my only goal was to finish and I'll always wear the finishers shirt with pride! If you want to see what a happy, sunburned DS looks like, I'm #1033 on finisherpix.com - sorry, can't post links properly from my iPad.
I ate my body weight at the awards dinner the following night - pasta, steak, baked potatoes, a huge Ironman cake and ice cream - post race sandwiches will never be the same again...
I've already thanked Triathletes World, Sports Tours International and Club La Santa for the most incredible prize and amazing experience. Super organisation and fantastic facilities all round.
Taking it easier for a few weeks now! Big well done to Claire, Paul and Robin in the MW ultra - it was tough going on Saturday and I just couldn't imagine turning round after 26 miles to do it all over again!
Edited: 15/06/2012 at 17:51
15/06/2012 at 18:37

DS, that sounds amazing! I am soooo in awe of you guys on this forum

That was an amazing event for you. All over now bar the tattoo......

15/06/2012 at 20:38

Very enjoyable race report DS, congratulations on a fabulous achievement!!

On a more depressing note, what is that weather not like!!  I'm sure anyone at Antrim tonight got soaked to the skin.  I really hope it dries a bit in the morning as I'm hoping for 15 miles & I do not want to do it in that weather!!

D S
15/06/2012 at 21:34
Hi Helen, just to complete the report, I visited a tattoo parlour yesterday for the first time in my life and am now the proud owner of an Ironman finisher's M Dot tattoo below my left calf!
15/06/2012 at 21:47

I knew you would! Congratulations on joining the Ironman club   You can show off your tattoo with pride

16/06/2012 at 12:43

Great report DS well done. See you in Dervock sporting your new Tatoo

17/06/2012 at 21:00
I'm gob smacked Ds. Thank you so much for the race report. Truly inspiring
17/06/2012 at 21:08

Great report DS.

Friday nights race in Antrim was actually 5.6miles long and mostly on trail. I had a bad run as was tired from the start but it was a nice course. Count it as a decent training run at 6.40pace. I did 16.05miles on Saturday morning but had a lie in and did my run arouind half eleven. Managed decent pace (7.35ish) until 10 miles and then slowed in the next 6miles. Happy enough with this run as was still feeling tired but wanted to get the miles done. (just under 51miles this week). This is my 3rd week in a row with over 50miles so boiund to be feeling it, but hope to continue this for another 2 weeks and then taper for Dervock. Will just run a bit slower in training and hope to be feeling more energetic for Lisburn 10k and RTB.

Looking forward to running round Dervock course next Saturday Kenny.

My daughter is singing at a school concert tomorow night, so I won't get to training but will do my run in the morning and that will give me more time to recover for Lisburn on Wednesday night.

Edited: 17/06/2012 at 21:10
18/06/2012 at 09:08

Listen to your body Ridney.

I'll not be there on Saturday as I have kids training in Limavady at 10. Should be a good turn out with runner taking the chance to preview the new course.

Still no running as I don't feel 100%. Went down yesterday for the trial run of McArthur's home coming. We are pulling McArthur from Ballymoney Station to the Town Hall. The reactment takes place on the 10 July at 8.00pm.

18/06/2012 at 13:19

Congratulations to Joe Quinn East Down AC- awarded MBE for services to local community and Athletics. Fully deserved

18/06/2012 at 13:21

I agree Lisoider well deserevd.

18/06/2012 at 22:47

Yes well done to Joe Quinn. I had read that in the Newsletter.

Anyone else doing half or 10k in Lisburn? I'm in for the 10k.

17,201 to 17,220 of 20,196 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.