Northern Ireland Running

17,381 to 17,400 of 20,118 messages
19/07/2012 at 19:29

Thanks Rodney, was trying to remember to watch that! 

19/07/2012 at 22:48

Jonny thank goodness someone's as slow as me! That'll be interestin to compare notes in a few months time - I am reverting to 2 70% or less runs per week (one LSR & one recovery run) and 2 tempo/hill sessions. Have returned to running  4 mths ago and motivation was weight loss - delighted to have gone from almost 17stone to 14'5" in those 4 mths. My pace has increased too although slower improvements here than I expected.... maybe its an age thing.

I have a neighbour who has run many marathons and he depressed me a little when he said I'll never get back to the pace i was running 6 years ago (I was 35 then). Hope he's way off with that statement as my goal is to get back to that sort of pace by the end of this year! Anyone any thoughts on the age "v" pace debate?

A pal I used to run with 6 years ago is now in his late fifties and is running faster than he ever has  - clocking a 1'34" pb for the half this year... so I'm pinning my hopes on his experience!

Anyway I'm away for the weekend from tomorrow so Good luck all for Dervock!

20/07/2012 at 07:55

Maybe something in this low HR running after all - just back from early morning 6ml tempo run and managed just over 8 m/mls - 49mins for the run. This is off the back of a couple of weeks slow/easy running. Well chuffed and fastest since my return!

Seeing improvements like this are part of the motvation for me and is why I would find it hard to stick to slow running all the time so fair play to those who can stick it out (Jonny!)

20/07/2012 at 08:21

We have 14 heading up tomorrow from Larne, 3 in the marathon & the rest in the half.  The forecast looks not bad, just hope it doesn't get too warm along those wee country roads!!  My aim is just to do better than I did at Stranraer when I had the biggest disaster ever, with 10 minutes onto my time.

Looking forward to seeing some familiar faces!

20/07/2012 at 10:23

Ricky, don't listen to your neighbour, there's no reason you can't become faster. Like your pal, I'm 56 and recently got a half marathon pb of 1.36. It's just that, as you get older, you have to run a lot wiser. I've learnt that I'm much more prone to injury and have to balance the running with cross training such as circuits, cycling, swimming and weights plus plenty of stretching & foam rolling. At 20 or 30 I could have run every day, but now I can't. My tuppence worth is that you have to be patient and give your body plenty of time to adapt. As you lose more weight, you will steadily get faster. I'm 5'10" but just 10st 6lbs, which is too thin but does make running easier. So if were you, don't rush it. Just enjoy the running and allow more time than the end of the year for your goal. Best of luck.

20/07/2012 at 10:32

Good luck to all running in Dervock tomorrow and elsewhere over the weekend.  I've got the usual marathon nerves but also looking forward (I think) to the novelty of a marathon on country roads instead of city streets.  Hope you hit your target Rodney, although I'd love to see you discussing the label with someone handing out the drinks.  I did the Portaferry 10 miler on Tues - not exactly text-book tapering but glad I went to it anyway.

20/07/2012 at 10:57

10 miles this morning try to relieve the stress. There was a nice breeze but it was hot. Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow in Dervock. We'll be on the go from 6 in the morning setting up the course. Good luck to all running. HMM I'll have to get the cameras set up for the re-enactment.

20/07/2012 at 12:17

Good luck to anyone in Dervock and I hope you get a good turnout / it goes smoothly for you Kenny.

I think there's a good few heading up from the club. I'm not feeling too fit at the minute so will hold off on the racing for a few weeks yet.

20/07/2012 at 12:30

Going to be a long day for you Kenny. A lot of work involved so credit to all at Springwell and the village of Dervock for putting this event on.

I had measured my RHR over 3 days whilst sitting at my desk in work and got 45BPM, but as last 2 mornings as I am aff work I remembered to set out HRM and have taken it first thing in the morning as recommended in the book I got. It makes a difference as I have had readings of 36BPM for the last 2 days. This makes my 70% at 139 but will do the MHR test after recovering from Dervock.

Good luck to all who are racing in Dervock tomorrow. I think I am looking forward to it. Should be some good times recorded over the 3 races.

Did any of you watch that programme last night. I might try running barefoot tomorrow. I think that it is just the same as any advertising. If someone has an item to sell, they have to make it sound as good as they can. Magazines and even events like the Olympics make money from these companies through advertising but we have a choice as to how much of it we believe. Obviously, the more elite athletes benefit more from these items but then they follow a stricter training regime than I do and at that level any small advantage helps.

You just have to be sensible. The right amount of energy drink or running shoes that weigh 2grams lighter aren't going to help me much. I just need to train smarter.

20/07/2012 at 12:54

Looks like it's going to be quite warm tomorrow guys...so keep well hydrated!

Hobbled/walked a mile yesterday...ice...pain no worse.

jogged the mile today....slightly less pain...just need to strengthen the muscle I think...icing as I type!

Def. going up tomorrow...all the best to all running.

20/07/2012 at 12:57

Heading up to Dervock this afternoon and will see some of you either at pack collection or at around mile 12/24 of the course tomorrow where I'll be marshalling.  Really looking forward to see all Kenny's hard work over the past year come to fruition tomorrow.

Good luck to all running tomorrow - and good luck C75 and the rest of NBH in Dublin.

20/07/2012 at 13:18

Good luck to everyone running or marshalling Dervock this weekend, I hope you all have a great day.

Good luck C75 for your Dublin event

Come on Ballymena Runners lots of PB's please at Dervock LOL

21/07/2012 at 07:46
Best of luck to POH, Rodney, Kenny and everyone else in Dervock today. Looks like you've got the nicest day of the summer so far..!

Nice work RickyW. Keep at it.
21/07/2012 at 11:38
Good luck all ! looking forward to hearing all the trials & tribulations!
Thanks C75 - finally seeing a tangible improvement has given me a wee boost. Good luck in Dublin!
21/07/2012 at 11:45
Paul D - that's very encouraging to hear! Well I am
6' and 14'5" so a bit to lose still although my weight seems to bottom out at around 13'7" - even during 50ml week marathon training.
Congrats on ur PB's - very impressive at any age category! I'll keep on plodding.
21/07/2012 at 15:32

Ricky, I'm not long as this running caper and didn't listen to more experienced people telling me to slow down when I started! I'm pretty pleased with all of my PB's, it's just now that I'm trying to beat them I've found that the endurance I need to push is lacking badly. Only one way to fix that! 

21/07/2012 at 17:10

Same thing happened me today as happened at BCM. Right knee got sore just over half way and tried to ignore it but a few hills made it worse so stopped at 16.6miles and got a lift back to Dervock. No problems with it during training again but just bad luck on the day. Touigh course. Went through half way in 1.37, a little slower than I wanted but just wasn't to be today again.

Well done to everyone else who ran today and well done to Springwell on all their hard work.

Heart rate training, here I come.

21/07/2012 at 17:43

Disappointing Rodney - even driving around the course it was evidently a hilly, up and down kind of route apart from a couple of flatter sections out of Dervock. I was sorry I couldn't run. Hope the knee doesn't slow you down too much....I'm on my fourth week off now! but hopefully making progress...did a 13 miles on the bike last night, 1 mile jog this afternoon.....less annoying than the last mile - so hopefully back to normal soon.

And kudos to Kenny and the Springwell club - looked like another excellent event.

Edited: 21/07/2012 at 17:43
21/07/2012 at 19:02
I just about got away with that today. 4.18 after sub 2 first half. Still loved it and pleased at fitness despite lack of training. Well done to Kenny and the club - great marshalls. Hard lines Rodney, plenty of rest and you will be back racing before the Summers over. great to catch up with everyone and had great craic with DS during 1st half. 2nd half we were more subdued - DS race report?
22/07/2012 at 07:58

Well done to all who ran yesterday it was tough going in the heat. Rodney I was so sorry to see you walking back to the field. You need to try and get to the bottom of what causes it.

It was a long day yesterday starting at 6am and finally getting home at 8pm. Bottled water may be good for the runners but means you have to do a sweep of the whole course after the race picking them up. Myself and Bryan got a lot of the plaudits yesterday but so many of the club went the extra mile to help make yesterdays event a success. Thanks to them all and to Mags, Max and Helen for coming along and helping out. I had planed a lie in this morning but woke up as normal. I feel like I ran the marathon yesterday.

17,381 to 17,400 of 20,118 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.