Northern Ireland Running

17,401 to 17,420 of 20,137 messages
22/07/2012 at 12:06

Well done to all who ran yesterday it was a tough course but we new it was going to be and the heat never helped

Kenny a big well done to you and the Springwell club could fault it at all loads of water and sports drinks in bottles, the marshall were just brill as well.One of the most enjoyable marathons i have ever done.  HOPE YOU HOLD THE MARATHON NEXT YEAR AGAIN please

with the tough course and heat i was well happy to get round in 3HR 44MINS could not of went a second faster on the day 

22/07/2012 at 15:26
Congratulations to all who ran in Dervock. Have read nothing but positive comments. Hats off to Springwell runners.

Rod, I agree with KB. Might be worth investigating the source of your pain before you start on the next phase of training.

Swords 10km went well today but a big hill (2km long) saw off my pb hunt. Achilles pain free though. Touch wood season starts now.
22/07/2012 at 16:10

Yes, thank you, Kenny, and your team for a great day yesterday. Like a lot of people, I just drive past Ballymoney up to the north coast and hadn't even heard of Dervock until recently. It's a lovely part of the world.

It's a tough course though. I was glad to be turning to the finish after 13 miles. I take my hat off to the marathon runners for going round it a second time. And sorry to hear about you having to retire from the race, Rodney. You put so much work into training, some day it has to all come together.

22/07/2012 at 16:11

Well done Springwell and all who competed - sounds like a great event! Hopefully get in for next years.

Gutting for you Rodney - least you had the sense to knock it on the head before inflicting more damage. I'd have probably struggled on, clocked a disappointing time and put my self out of action for months!

I ran the middle section 6 mile section of the Larne Half route this morning: Carnfunnock - Ballygalley - Carncastle - Balleygalley - Carnfunnock. A beautiful early morning run along the coast road.

Inspired me to go for Cookstown next Sunday - just done the online entry!

Anyone else up for it?

22/07/2012 at 18:40

Hi Ricky W I'm from Lisburn, live in London sice 81, coming over for Cookstown, it will be my first go at it!  What's it like? 

22/07/2012 at 21:18

Hi Reiki - havent got a clue! My first attempt at Cookstown - its a fairly new event (4th year I believe)
From what I gather its fairly tough - heres a few comments I managed to find from various forums over the last few years:

"Cookstown is very hilly throughout with mixture of short sharp hills and long slow gradients. In the Sperrin foothills so only to be expected. Really tough, almost unfair finish. Early on your up and down, 1st long climb starts at 9mls and goes on for a ml. I'm guessing a wee bit here as I couldn't find ml markers after 9. Mls 11-12 is a long, long incline. 12-12.5 is flat while 12.5 to 13.1 in fairly steep uphill."

"Very undulating but each incline didnt go on too long. Loved the course. Be back next year"

Hope that doesnt put you off!

22/07/2012 at 22:55

Glad the day was such a success Kenny; a big thank-you to you and your team.

I found it very tough going on the second lap yesterday and had to walk for a while but managed to finish around my standard time and enjoyed the day.  That stretch through the Dark Hedges was worth the trip alone. Who said there were only three climbs on the course?  Bad luck Rodney, wise decision to stop.  HMM you passed me at 19 miles (I couldn't speak as a sweet from a kind spectator had stuck in my throat and I had to wait to the next drinks stop to swallow it).  Thanks for the shouts too Mags.

22/07/2012 at 23:27

Glad to hear dervock went well. Some good runs from  a few guys in our club too.

Rodney bad luck in the gain - maybe time to find the root cause of that.

Did some mountain running today for a change. Not my forte but whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all that...

23/07/2012 at 06:53

Ricky W

Cheers that's amazing information!  Why does the end have to be like that, I managed a 10 miler yesterday, have been struggling for distance since the VLM this year, never mind hills!

Hope to see you there.

23/07/2012 at 11:13
@ Paul OH did i slag u for walking. I was worried we had upset u as there was no response lol. We walked/ran last 6 miles - stubborn to the end. I've only had one DNF in Mway Ultra and was determined not to have another
23/07/2012 at 12:18

None taken HMM , I was just sorry I couldn't tag along behind you. There were a few walking at that stage and everyone was encouraging each other when they overtook. I managed to get running again (more of a shuffle really) after mile 21 and kept it going to the end.

Have to mention Jerry Forde in the wheelchair as well, 100+ marathons, a true legend.

VT'd    pirate
23/07/2012 at 12:21

I found the second lap very tough from mile 13.1 onwards.  To be ushered to the opposite side from and realise that my race was really just beginning was as difficult to swallow as a warm gel.  

I started walk/running at about 16-17 miles, just behind you HMM and, I guessed, maybe DS.  I thought my shuffle might have been slightly quicker, but soon realised I was up against old hands.

My legs felt like lead for the last 4 miles as I hadn't run this long since Dublin in October.  Against a realistic target of 4:20 I managed the first half 2 hrs and the second in 2.22, which I have to be content with, but told me all I needed to know. The good natured banter and laughter at the blunt end of a race is always a joy for me and makes me wonder, 'Why does anyone want to be better to miss out on this?'

I just finished my first IM distance tri a couple of weeks ago and I knew this was going to be a tough day.  However, I knew the work Kenny, Brian, and the others had put into it, so knew it was going to be a great event not to be missed.  Which it turned out to be Kenny, thanks.

Back on the bike for a couple of recovery weeks and then I'm going to turn myself back into something that resembles a runner again, if I ever was one in the first place .

23/07/2012 at 13:10

Hello again VT'd. I thought you were doing the Bolton IM. Which one did you do? If it was only a couple of weeks ago, you did very well to run the marathon on Saturday. 

VT'd    pirate
23/07/2012 at 13:24

Hi Paul, thanks, good to hear from you.

I did Outlaw in Nottingham.  I injured my achilles 10 weeks ago and did next to no running in the important peaking phase leading up it. 

I subsequently worked hard on my swimming and bike training, which at least put me in a decent position just to get round. 

I wanted to get a long run in post Outlaw, so Dervock was always on the cards for me as long as I stayed injury free.  It's not quite there yet, but as long as I don't stress it again with pacey runs (as if !!!) then I'll manage to keep moving forward and retain some base fitness.  I'd loved to have gotten in round the 4 hour mark, but as usual with these things, you take what it gives you on the day.

Are you doing ireman again?  I've entered the half as a curtain closer, then it's training for Dublin Marathon, rest and then back to the start for Lanzarote IM 2013.

23/07/2012 at 13:37

I just want to add my praise for Saturday, it was a fantastic day, so well organised.  The goody bags were great, the course was tough but strangely enjoyable, I totally loved running down through the Dark Hedges.  The support around the course was great & it was very well marshalled.  We (Larne yins) liked the idea of getting the mile markers sponsored, something for us to think about for Larne half next year!! 

My own race was reasonable enough, I knew I was nowhere near pb standard, but hoped to run better than Stranraer. I started well but found the hills tough going, I literally just got up them at whatever pace I could!!  My time was 1.52 which was 5 mins quicker than Stranraer but still 5 mins off my pb, but at least its going in the right direction.

Not sure what I'm aiming for next, I'm doing reasonably long miles at the minute so might attempt a marathon before the end of the year!!

23/07/2012 at 16:19

Well done VT'd for completing Outlaw. I'm watch the Ironman series on Ch4, the pros are great to watch but it's the elderly athletes who are really inspiring. They just don't give up. DS did Lanzarote this year, it's a very tough one. No, I'm just doing a few sprint tris this year, but nothing longer than that. It's too time consuming and, anyway, my swimming needs sorted first. The canoe support teams are starting to recognise me as the aul eejit always at the back. I did the Dalriada Glenarm sprint tri last Wednesday, it's a nice one. With the running, I hope to get up to the Causeway in September and also should get down to the Dublin marathom in October.

23/07/2012 at 22:26

Reiki - yes maybe see you @ Cookstown. I'll be bringing up the rear hoping to break 2 hours - aiming for 9 min mile pace... although my priority is to try & enjoy it so will treat it as a long training run rather than put myself under too much pressure!
What sort of pace do you plan to run? If you did VLM this year I'm sure you'll still have plenty of miles in the legs!

24/07/2012 at 16:01
Kenny, what's the story with the NFU Mutual 5M on Friday? The pdf on your website isn't downloading. Where do you register etc?
24/07/2012 at 16:05

Heather as we had no major sponsor mile marker and water stop sponsors brought us in some much needed cash.

Davy I think everyone found the second lap tough going with the heat.There are some great pics of the Dark Hedges up on the facebook page. Marathonpic.com had said they would cover the race but pulled out as their wasn't enough competitors. I think they miss a great opportunity there.

Today the tiredness has really kicked in I had hoped to do NFU on Friday but I have no energy.

24/07/2012 at 17:26
Kenny don't you dare, if I'm doing it then you've no excuse!!
17,401 to 17,420 of 20,137 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.