Northern Ireland Running

17,441 to 17,460 of 20,164 messages
29/07/2012 at 19:29

I thought 1:59:19!!

I was caught out by gun to chip today, but had a really fab fun race, the hardest half I have ever done, hilly and very windy, with some driving rain through the decent downhill sweep that lasted for over a mile around 10ish.

Finished strong, with two of my fastest 3 miles being the last two, and acupunctured ITB knee barely a squeak!  Right hip is a little niggly now, but it hasn't been acupunctured yet!

Managed : 1:59:52 in the official results and shall not rant nor quibble as I set out to do 2 hours.

Am so pleased with how I took on those hills and came through from 7ish.

When I lived over here I didn't run, gosh it's so tempting to move back.  

Well done on that PB!!

Edited: 29/07/2012 at 19:30
29/07/2012 at 20:23

any idea when the offical results are out....new to all this so have never did gun to chip before...found it different to Dervock..

29/07/2012 at 20:30

Mark, Glenn has posted the results up on the Champion Chip Ireland website.

29/07/2012 at 20:54

Does anyone know what prizes were awarded in the Cookstown Half Marathon including age group awards? It doesn't say on the main site. Thanks

29/07/2012 at 22:01

Cheers Paul! finally broke my elusive sub 2hours after Omagh and Dervock!

29/07/2012 at 22:28

Good running Reiki - there is a fair bit of climbing so congrats on finishing so strongly! : My GPS clocked it at 768ft of climbing (100ft more than the Lisburn Course).

Mark - glad you;ve got the 2hr monkey off your back!... we finished quite close together - I see u in the results about 40secs ahead of me. Waterside in September - sub 1:50 next?!

Yes would definitely do that one again - only negatives were the lack of mat for chip timing at the start (I didnt even hear the gun as I fumbled with my Iphone - think the race started about a minute early maybe?) and the disappointing cotton "fruit of the loom" t shirt).
However the most important part was that the course was enjoyable and the marshalling of traffic excellent.

30/07/2012 at 08:27
My Garmjn says we started at 12:59! And I was looking for a mat. Gun to chip is pointless!
30/07/2012 at 12:56

Well done guys I struggled the last three miles of that race two years ago. I can't see the point in chip timing when they don't have mats at the start.

Went out yesterday the legs were like lead couldn't get going at all.

Still thinking of doing the Cookstown 5 on Friday evening.

31/07/2012 at 18:10

I think the lack of a mat at the start last year was an issue also... oh well only a minor gripe on what was a good event. 

Waterside next methinks.... anyone any details/info on the new course this year? (doesn't see to be anything on the website)

31/07/2012 at 20:57

Ricky I think it's a mix of the old course and the new course. I think they have taken out the bit were you run round the car parks.

Anyone know anything about the Decathlon Half Marathon on the 22 September?

Speed session tonight in the wind and rain. 10 x 2 mins on variable recovery 50,40,30,20,10 back up to 50.

31/07/2012 at 21:47

Dont remember any car parks - last one I did was 2005 and it was a simple out and back - bit boring but flat apart from short sharp hill in last mile - had good PB potential though.

First I've heard of Decathlon Half Kenneth? Can't turn up anything on tinterweb either. Is it a local event?

Didnt venture out in the lovely weather tonight - did a slow 3 mile recovery run last night after the exertions of Sunday.

31/07/2012 at 21:58
Kenny it's a similar route to the decathlon 10k out in Hollywood last year - I think it's 2 laps. Matt,shields, is one of the organisers. He tells me it's a fast and flat pb course.

It's been quite late on the calendar but I might give the 10k or the half a blast.

Track session tonight- first speedset in a long time so tough going.
01/08/2012 at 09:25

Ricky they changed the course from 2005. Starts and finishes at Gransha. When you went into the industrial estate you ran round the outside of carparks. This year I think they have taken out the carparks and go onto what was the main road out and back and finish at Gransha.

TG I don't know whether to give Waterside a go or the Duathlon. There will probably be a bigger crowd at Waterside.

01/08/2012 at 09:51

Waterside will be the bigger one I expect Kenny but they shot themselves in the foot last year with no chip timing and making a mess of a lot of times so I would expect numbers will be down a bit due to that. The Belfast one is very late so not sure how it will take off. If waterside have nearly 1,000 in a race they should really be paying for chip timing as they'll be able to cover themselves.Not sure what the story is this year.

01/08/2012 at 10:09

TG its back in the half marathon series so will have chip timing. With 1000 runners they should have chip timing.

01/08/2012 at 10:35

Good point Kenny so they must have it this year.

Lot of people disappointed with it last year but hopefully if they get chip timing that'll sort it out.

Yet again raining today - I hadn't planned on using wet gear for the summer but this weather is ridiculous!

01/08/2012 at 11:05

Think the Waterside Half is heading out to the airport and back so its a new route this year. There is a new dual carriageway out that way so I would assume that the run will be along the old original road which runs parallel to the the dual carriagway. As Kenneth said it starts and finishes in Gransha and no longer goes in around the DuPont factory. Theres also a lot of talk that Derry are having a full marathon next June as part of the City of Culture celebrations, starting in Muff direction and finishing at the Guildhall.

02/08/2012 at 09:53

Waterside full one would be amazing....as long as its possible to park and be ferried out..otherwise a loooong walk back out to Muff.

How many would be expected at the Cookstown 5 mile on Friday...Ive only started this running malarky and would hate to think I would be way way out of my depth.

02/08/2012 at 10:14

Never thought about that Mark. Maybe I heard wrong and they will start at the Guildhall and head out towards Muff. Not sure about Cookstown but most races have 100/200+ runners.

02/08/2012 at 10:48

Mark usually about 200 at Cookstown. I'll be there good mix of fast and slow runners and a nice cuppa at the end.

17,441 to 17,460 of 20,164 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.