Northern Ireland Running

17,501 to 17,520 of 20,137 messages
17/08/2012 at 15:43

Funny you mention that I have actually developed problems with the cumulus in the last few years.

I used to wear them religously but have switched to brooks since the tail end of last year. I was getting pains up the outside of my right calf with them. Three different pairs I tried too.

I just moved over to brooks ghost which I really like. I wore cumulus for 2 or 3 years until then too. Don't understand what happened with them.

17/08/2012 at 16:17

I've usually found Brooks trainers to be a bit heavy or clumpy. Haven't tried Ghost. Might consider giving them a go for a change.

I've volunteered to bring my sore achilles and nimbus to Waterworks tomorrow so maybe see some of you there (and quiz you on your trainer choice ). Not sure what i'll be doing. Helping with drinks last week so might be more of the same.

17/08/2012 at 18:36

Helen - Can't help with the shoes I'm afraid, but I've got you down to help with the tea and coffee again tomorrow .

Hoping for a good turnout in the morning.  Please let the weather be better than it was last night at Darragh Cross.

Anyone on here half thinking of doing parkrun tomorrow please make an effort and come along. Theres a campagin to get as many people running tomorrow as possible so coax, pursuade and cajole as many people as you can.

17/08/2012 at 18:44

I am heading to Ecos tomorrow Mags accompanied by my husband & Roxy our mad labrador.  Its Colin's 1st ever park run so I thought it would be a perfect time to introduce him to them, he might have to walk/run a bit, but we'll get there.  I just hope our mad labrador doesn't cause too much chaos!!!

17/08/2012 at 19:27

That's great news Heather.  I bet he'll be hooked once he's done one. Look forward to hearing how he gets on.

17/08/2012 at 22:10

Are all parkruns on Sat morns - is there any on Sundays? I work every Sat morn .

Just purchased a Garmin 305 watch & have ditched I-phone with runkeeper app so looking forward to getting to grips with it.

Niggly ankle this week so not much running but some cycling instead - just not the same!!

17/08/2012 at 22:21

Hi Ricky - yes, all parkruns are on Saturday mornings, except for Christmas and New Year at Waterworks where we had an extra run both those days.  My son also works Saturdays and has only ever done two parkruns, both on Christmas day.

Good luck with your Garmin 305.  That's what I have, and it made such difference to my running.  I didn't have runkeeper prior to getting it, so I measured all my runs by driving round my route in the car afterwards.  This meant that I could only run along main roads, so you can imagine the feedom to be able to run through parks etc.  It also saved me a fortune in petrol!

Hope the niggle in the anke heals soon.  I know what you mean about cycling.  I bought a bike last year after I tore the cartilege in my knee, but I never got th4e same buzz from cycling as I did running.

18/08/2012 at 22:42

Thanks Margaret - will have to give the parkruns a miss then... a few in Belfast all on saturdays... strange they don't spread them over sat & sun? i.e. minimizing the clashes I think they would get a larger overall turnout?? Hope you'd a good run this morn.

I remember when I first ran a number of years ago going out the night before my weekend longrun and clocking the route in the car and planting bottles of water every 3 or 4 miles! Oh how technology has spoiled us! Know what you mean about off road running - used to have use the mountain bike to clock the mile markers on one of my routes which has the broadwater tow path in the middle of it.

The cycling thing is wierd - did 14 miles on my mountain bike in 50mins on a wet & windy thurs nite, heart rate averaged 152 which would be the same as a steady run for me yet when I got home I didnt feel like I had anything like the workout like I would get from a 5 or 6 mile run at similar HR.

No running since last Monday evening and starting to get a little bit impatient - ankle improving but still can feel it when I break into a run... I know I should keep resting but the temptation to run is building as the off days tick past!

19/08/2012 at 12:06

12 miles banked this morning. Boy was it warm.

I have a few weeks off kids training so I am hoping to get a couple of goes at the ECOS parkrun then do the first Portrush on the 8th as a warm up for the Waterside on the 9th Sept.

19/08/2012 at 13:54

had a great time yesterday at Ecos parkrun, both Colin & Roxy loved it!!!  There was a fantastice turnout, well done to everyone who helped out or completed their 1st park run.  Nice to meet Paul for the 1st time

I managed 12 as well this morning Kenny & it was tough going, it was so warm & humid.  We are definitely not used to running in that heat - I found it really affected my breathing which was much more laboured than it should have been.  Still its another 12 miles in the bank & more pleasant than when its baltic, lashing rain & gales!!

20/08/2012 at 16:46

Anyone registered for the Causeway Coast run coming up in 6 weeks, have heard a few stories about the course, each one making the inclines of the hills sound tougher than the last, be interested to hear any posters stories from the run...

I'm down to run the 10k, and have just got back into the running over the past week coming from the football season slacking off, have got my 5k down to just under 21 minutes on a fairly hilly training route, ultimate aim is to get the 10k done in 40 mins, but may have to revise if route is as tough as being made out...

20/08/2012 at 17:08

Boysie, the 10K course at Causeway is the flattest of all the diff races held on the day.  The toughest bit is between the start near Dunseverick Castle and the Giants Causeway where there are some steep inclines and the ground underfoot is tricky in places. Once you are past the visitor centre then it's good running.  Enjoy.  I have ran all the C'way options bar the 10K but there is always a large number in that event.

Off to Twin Peaks race in Cargan tonight as I can't make Interclub race tomorrow with my eldest boys birthday bash.

Heather glad u enjoyed the parkrun again - we held a club race on the course last Monday night and it's a fabulous 5k route.

21/08/2012 at 13:38

Cheers howmanyminutes, good to know that the worst bit will be out of the way in the first few k's and can settle in from there

21/08/2012 at 21:34

anyone else here listen to the marathontalk podcast and their push for the magic mile? http://www.marathontalk.com/notifications.php if so th http://www.athleticsni.org/Fixtures/Mill-Hill-Mile might be the perfect opportunity! 

something else...the Darragh Cross 10k....was delighted with my time...a new personal best for me in a 10k.....then suddenly what was billed as a 10k is now a 6miler...goodbye personal best time! 

22/08/2012 at 09:04

I haven't done the Mill Hill Mile before Mark, but I believe it's an uphill run and times are a lot slower than for a flat race.  As for Darragh Cross, I have heard Joe being asked about that in the past and he says it's a 10k, so I would take the pb .

23/08/2012 at 10:20

Went to the 5k trail race at Crawfordsburn yesterday, a good event on a tough wee course with a few stiff climbs, my time was about 26.15. 

23/08/2012 at 11:36

Mill Hill mile not ideal for a fast timed mile Mark - I think it's a nasty one. They used to do the stormont mile - I did it one year and it was a good blowout but not sure of any other ones.

That crawsfordburn race sounds like a good one Paul but I've never got round to running it.

Managed a parkrun and 15 mile at the weekend. Had to take a day off and an easy day to recover!

24/08/2012 at 08:06

The clue is in the name Mill "HILL" Mile. If you know Castlewellan, it is the mile from the bottom of the hill (Annsborough) as you enter the town from the Clough direction to the square in the town centre. It is not one for a time but a good work out. It is steeper than the hill up to Stormont.

24/08/2012 at 10:51

Stormont was downhill Lisoider so could be down or up!!

24/08/2012 at 11:14

Castlewellan - they definitely run up the hill...the Hill & Dalers from Newcastle AC do not like to make things easy. After the run Shimna Wheelers cycle club are also holding a 1 mile time trial up the hill open to all. Why not make a night of it and do both

17,501 to 17,520 of 20,137 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.