Northern Ireland Running

17,521 to 17,540 of 19,867 messages
24/08/2012 at 18:49
Thought I'd stick my nose in and keep you all up to date on how the HR training is going. I'm at about week 5 of training purely at a low HR (I've had a week off sick, and ran one race) and I'm now about 1 min/mile faster than I was. I'm struggling now to keep the HR up high enough at stages, A lot of runs are coming well below the target of a 149 average.

So, it works. Definitely feeling fitter and stronger. Have lost a bit of weight as well!
25/08/2012 at 12:14

First run out at the ECOS Parkrun this morning. I had forgot how tough 5K's are it was very warm round the lake on the first lap. Good wee work out and good turn out. 

25/08/2012 at 13:41

Not really good at this technical stuff, so don't know if I have attached the link properly, but if you get a chance have a look at this new website.  Looks good.

www.nirunning.co.uk

25/08/2012 at 13:41

No, it didn't work.  Maybe someone else could post it?

25/08/2012 at 13:54

I had a look Mags looks good just what we needed. Local running website run by local runners.

25/08/2012 at 16:03

this one seems to work better. http://nirunning.webs.com/

Edited: 25/08/2012 at 16:05
25/08/2012 at 17:18
Great to see a local website dedicated to our sport. Ryan is a top lad. Should the NI RW forumites all defect over there lol?

Jonny, great work.
26/08/2012 at 14:35

Any idea of the route for the Belfast half marathon? The web site talks about the West Band Rd....where's that....contact them?.you get this message..{php}eval(base64_decode('JGNvZGUgPSBiYXNlNjRfZGVjb 2RlKCJQRDl3YUhBTkNtVmphRzhnSnp4bWIzSnRJR0ZqZEdsdmJ q ....and so on.

the whole thing seems a bit mickey mouse!

Edited: 26/08/2012 at 15:40
27/08/2012 at 15:30

Mark it's 2 laps of last years 10K. Thats all I know so I am about as much use.

I set out to do 13 miles yesterday but had to cut it short as I was feeling crap. Some days you just feel that way.

C75 congratulation on the win at Moneymore.

27/08/2012 at 18:19

An eventful weekend's running for me which included a 300 mile road trip & the running of the Longford marathon!!  I had upped my miles since the beginning of June with an eye to doing this & finally bit the bullet & entered at the end of July.  Instead of my usual 18 week marathon plan I did a reduced 12 week one but based it on the 55 mile a week P&D plan.  My training went well but I didn't feel i was near the form I broke the 4hours in Belfast in 2011.

I headed off on Saturday afternoon for the long drive to Longford & as my husband couldn't get off work, was flying totally solo with this one.  I arrived just after 5pm, collected my goody bag which was one of the best I've ever got, then settled in for a quiet night (even though the town was very lively!!)

It was a late 11am start & as usual when I run a marathon, the sun was splitting the trees, so I knew it was going to be tough!!  The race does a lap of the town then heads through the countryside in a mixture of main roads & tiny country lanes.  I decided to go for a 9 min mile pace & just see what happened & I went through the halfway mark well on target at 1hr 57mins.  But then just after 14 miles I took severe cramp in both calves & stopped for 1st time of many to stretch.  I was very frustrated at this as I had been taking on plenty of liquids & gels along the way, and was feeling brilliant.  I still managed to go through 20 miles in just under 3hours but thats when the wheels came spinning off in spectacular style!!  I was starting to tire & knew I was going to slow over the last 6 miles but the main problem came from the cramps that were attacking every part of my legs!  When I stopped to stretch one muscle, another would go into spasm.  In the end I just stood & laughed, there was nothing else I could do!!  I stretched/walked/jogged/run the last 6 miles & finally crossed the line in 4hr 8mins 40secs.  When I checked my watch I had stopped for over 6 minutes in total & my 24th mile was nearly 12minutes!! 

There were massage tables at the finish line & I knew if I were to even attempt the drive home I had to get some kind of treatment.  A very kind guy gently rubbed & stretched my very sore legs before covering them in freeze gel.  I dosed up on ibuprofen, coke, salt & vinegar crisps & away I went, thankfully I made it back up to Larne without incident, although I definitely wouldn't recommend it for marathon recovery!!

I have to say I still thoroughly enjoyed it, the course was great, gently undulating at most, the people very friendly & welcoming. There's also an ultra & half marathon & I would definitely recommend making the journey down to give one a go.

Today is the sorest I have ever been, but its been totally worth every cramp & ache & pain!!

Number 8 done & dusted, now to plan for number 9!!

27/08/2012 at 18:22

http://pioneer-group.co.uk/event.php?id=38  

This is all the info I can find.   Won my first ever trophy in a running race at the weekend finishing 2nd in the "skerry heights" 10k in Newton Crumlin. Hardest 10k I've ever done by a long way but great wee event. Good battle with a ballymena boy for 2nd but that Taggart fella just too fast!!  

Interesting running site by that fella Maxwell. It looks good. I've always liked the idea of a review type tool of races like trip advisor do. I don't think running races are well enough policed and ones that are far too dear or poorly run etc should be publicised. It would only make them better. Likewise well run races should be commended which would raise their profile so I'd definitely like to see that kind of section fleshed out over time.

Edited: 27/08/2012 at 18:27
27/08/2012 at 21:34

Great report Heather.  It's those 'character building' marathons which turn out to be the most memorable and usually the most enjoyable.  Although that may not always appear to be the case during the race itself   Great attitude though and may I suggest the Causeway Marathon in a few weeks - no pressure for a time.  Just enjoy the cracking scenery

TG - I'm annoyed I forgot about this one as it could have been a 40 at 40 run.  Iain is in cracking form at the moment along with Matthew McCooke, Noel, James etc.  Too many to mention but BBT aka Ray is doing some fine work with them.  I look forward to being lapped by yourself and many of them when the XC starts up lol

You must be in good shape yourself - the course would have been tight enough up there?  I managed Downhill 5 mile trail on Saturday - lovely race although 3 minutes slower than last year   Ran 12 on Sunday morning and 7 tonight.  I'm thinking that a wee bit of training may be the way to go between these races.  Next up Glasgow Parkrun and then the Great Scottish Run.

Any other clubs NBH etc got runners heading over?

27/08/2012 at 22:19

Good report Heather.

HMM that was one tough race - toughest 10k I've ever done by a long way with the hills. Great race though and was brilliantly organised. Going not too bad at the minute - have had the head down training so hoping it pays off now. XC not my bag so not sure about the lapping!!

A girl from NBH lives over there HMM - Sharon - so she may be doing that run. She's a north belfast harrier who's scottish fell champion bizarrely.

27/08/2012 at 22:19

P.S. Where has Rodney gone??

28/08/2012 at 08:02

Hope everyone is fit and well 

Yes Heather great report , when you talk about the wheels coming of and the muscle cramps during the last 6 miles it brings back a lot of painful memories over the years

TG well done on your second place , good to see you back to form. Was talking to Ian T last night who said it was a tough course. The improvment in that guy over the last year or so is unbelivable I ran the first 5 or 6 miles with him at Larne last year now i would not be able to keep up with him for 5 or 6 yards 

Kenny good to see you at the Ecos parkrun you looked to be going good

28/08/2012 at 09:20

Well done Heather great report. Liam the race director is over 70 and ran Dervock Marathon. I went down a few years ago and did the half. We left at 5.00am and were back home after 11 that evening. Great event but if I was doing it again I'd stay down. You should have stayed the Sunday because I hear they have a great after party.

Well done on your second place TG your getting back into form.

Thanks Jim I just have no pave at the moment. I have a couple of weeks off from kids training so I am taking the chance to do the Parkruns.

HMM well done on Sat I hear it was a tough course. How manys that now?

28/08/2012 at 10:08

Well done Heather, super run especially with the travelling and weather.  I was thinking of the Longford marathoners on Sunday without knowing that there was a forumite involved.  It's on my to-do list as well but I went for Dervock this year instead.  Next stop Dublin for you?

28/08/2012 at 16:18

Mark, as far as I can tell the Half goes past Sainsbury's along West Bank Road into the Harbour Estate and meets with the Titanic 10k course on Airport Road before turning back on itself at Shorts.  Should be a good run, pretty flat course.

Anyone else planning to do Laganside this weekend?

28/08/2012 at 21:32

Hi Paul -I'm in. C75 also doing it and Mark you're in for it aren't you??(I get the emails for all the entries so know who's in and who's not!)

Thanks Kenny / Jim. Kenny you'll enjoy the parkrun. Jim hope your running going well - you mention others and not yourself there!

28/08/2012 at 22:18

Just registered! spent the evening trying to get some friends to register...

17,521 to 17,540 of 19,867 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.