Northern Ireland Running

17,561 to 17,580 of 20,122 messages
01/09/2012 at 21:26

That's great Paul - hope the tri goes well.  Am also hoping to do the Causeway but the half mara will be enough - really enjoyed my first attempt last year.  Any suggestions for accommodation in Dublin?

02/09/2012 at 11:21

Ricky w: re waterside half: 

Can I enter on Race Day? Yes, but entries will incur the late entry fee.

Is there a closing date? No, but entries will incur the late entry fee How much is entry to the half marathon and 10 Mile Challenge Walk? £20/€25
Late Entry £25/€30

Edited: 02/09/2012 at 11:22
02/09/2012 at 11:39

Second run out yesterday at the ECOS Parkrun. I managed to knock 1 minute off last weeks time. 12 miles with the Dublin Marathon gang this morning and naother lovely day for running.

Yes TG second international vest for Ferdy she is running well at the minute 3rd at Dessies on Tuesday in a PB time and new club record.

Ricky not sure when the late entry kicks in.

02/09/2012 at 15:11

Irene, we always stay with relatives down there, so can't advise you about hotels. We've found though that if you're flexible about location, you can get some cracker deals in good hotels.  

VT'd    pirate
02/09/2012 at 15:36

How did you get on at Newtownabbey Paul.  As shorter races have always done, sprint tri's also scare the bejesus out of me.  I don't like the eyeballs out from the start stuff and would always prefer to do the longer stuff. 

20 miles run this morning in prep for Dublin.  Unfortunately I have had to step up sooner than I would have chosen in steps of 13,18, 20. 

But the bike miles from a season of bike and triathlon seems to have stood me in decent shape as far as the endurance, but with an all too obvious lack of pace.  In fact my pace is currently woeful and I'll have my work cut out to beat last years time.

Thanks for the company this morning Kenny, the numbers turning out early on a Sunday morning make all the difference to a long run.

02/09/2012 at 22:03

Cheers Ray - doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it?! So when does an entry become "late"!

Anyway no matter - I am now entered online & looking forward to Waterside next Sunday.

Was hoping for sub 1:50 prior to my niggly ankle but training as been patchy since. Ran a 6 miler tonite at tempo pace in 49mins dead so maybe not too far away?? Low 1:50's will be an improvement anyway so will be happy with that.

Kenneth & Mark - maybe see you there... anyone else entered?

02/09/2012 at 22:13
Not entered yet Ricky but plan to run it. These 40 races are costing a wee fortune
02/09/2012 at 22:27

just looking at google maps...says 1hr24min from Belfast.....an early Sunday morning start!

02/09/2012 at 22:37

yeah entered, first one ever!!! nervous.... hope to be under 2 hours although people are saying just go around it and enjoy it! first ever 10k last week in 49.49, all goin well should be in in 2 hours??? 

02/09/2012 at 22:40

I enjoyed the tri, VT'd. It was a great day for it although I was a bit disappointed to finish a couple of minutes slower than last year. That was my own faullt though; I hadn't checked the bike and the front brake had been rubbing against the wheel. No, I prefer the shorter stuff - just going as hard as you can from the start.

The race was too packed though. We had 7 in our lane, all taking between 17mins and 21 mins to do the swim, so it was a bit messy. Also, on the bike course there are 3 junctions with traffic lights, a couple of pedestrian crossing and a railway level crossing,, so there were too many stops. On the Lisburn tri, there were railings placed  to give the cyclists their own way through the junctions.The run was good though, it was through the park and I really enjoyed that.

It's a good one to do as a first. All the best, VT'd, for your Dublin training. It's great weather for it.

02/09/2012 at 22:50

Anyone do laganside today? How'd you get on if so?

02/09/2012 at 23:20

Nice one Ray - with that 10k time of yours under 2 hrs should be very comfortable! You are prob looking at 1:50 if you've been gettin a decent no. of longer runs done in training. But yes - get round & enjoy it first & foremost! If you feel you've plenty left in the tank at the end then you can look forward to the PB in the next one!

Mark - would be bit of a trek for me too from Moira. However I'm on the north coast with the family nxt weekend so 30mins'll take me there on sun morn thankfully

02/09/2012 at 23:59

Laganside was good today, big crowd, not too warm.  I ran 49.40 but realised when I got home that my chip number didn't match my race num and my name is not in the results .  Did this happen to anyone else?  Thanks for handing me the voucher Mags but I didn't read it either until I got home, so I missed out there as well and didn't realise that Marie Curie were collecting them  

I'm planning to do Waterside HM as well next wk.  Some changes to the previous course there I see.

03/09/2012 at 10:07

Thought that laganside was brilliantly organised.

good distance markers

water in bottles with loads of hander-outers

minutes silence respectful

nice buzz about the place

fresh fruit in the finishing bag!!

Non rip number that didnt disintergrate

Just looking at the 10k figures-

724Bangor

642 Laganside

1626 Titanic

1676 Lisburn

was there really 1000 more at Titanic?

03/09/2012 at 10:47

Paul send me your details - race number time etc at laganside10k@northbelfast harriers.com and I'll try and get that sorted for you.

03/09/2012 at 11:13

Mark titanic is massive and less competition at that time of year.September is saturated with races.

Paul I think I know where you're at in results. The person in your place actually dropped out. I did wonder how she was on results.

I'll talk to a few people and see if I can sort out. Sorry for any mix up.

03/09/2012 at 12:42

Well Done all involved with putting on Laganside 10k yesterday! Anniversary of my first ever race in 2011 and progress marked with a pb. Doubly satisfied as hamstring was twinging and sore from mile 2 onwards (famous quote from Ron Hill kept me going onto second loop: "whatever you do, finish the damned race").

Mark, agree with your positive remarks on how NBH get it right with the little things for the Laganside event. I don't know how much they cost but the proper indestructible numbers are important to those of us who like to collect such memorabilia (mine has already been notated with date & finishing time and will hold pride of place on my office wall until I pb again!).

TG, impressive Top-20 finish for you! Hope you were pleased with your time?

Margaret, thanks for the water I grabbed from you and the goodie bag! Sorry, I didn't get to chat after introducing myself - combination of not wanting to detain you from your good work and I was 'busted' and incapable of coherent conversation at that stage!

Ricky W, see form your post last night that you're Moira-based? Me too! Probably seen you out pounding the pavements and not known!

Back to Dublin Marathon training tonight, have convinced my training partner we need to take it extra-slooow tonight with my hamstring concern. Want to put in a good mileage week as need to taper a little next week ahead of the Great North Run.

03/09/2012 at 13:37

Glad to hear you enjoyed it Alwyn. Keep stretching that hamsting and maybe look at some core work round lower back / glutes .(as well as stretching there).

Very happy with my own race. Went out with Julie Turley, she left me at 4k and then at 5k I found a 2nd wind and left her. Managed to finish strong for a change in a 10k. New PB by 7 seconds for me. I was pleasantly surprised to see I'd finished top 20 as I wouldn't have expected it in such a big race,

Paul we should have your result sorted shortly. I'll ask and see if you can still hand in the voucher and we can claim it.

03/09/2012 at 13:57

Thanks TG

03/09/2012 at 14:59

TG, thanks for the advice. I thought I had fully recovered after first occurring at end of 10k in Dublin in April. Felt some discomfort at club interval session last Tues but rested for 48 hrs and put in some decent slower miles on Thurs & Fri. Did a good warm-up yesterday but went out too fast with my training partner -  think I need to watch when I'm pushing under my limit of sub 6.45 miles. Core work and stretching of connected muscle groups - always good advice and necessary reminder for us novices! 

Saw you finished ahead of Julie, interesting to hear you were sparring with her! Congratulated her afterwards on her win, she's so consistently impressive.

17,561 to 17,580 of 20,122 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.