Northern Ireland Running

17,601 to 17,620 of 20,246 messages
07/09/2012 at 11:25

Good work with the results Kenny. Big turnout. TG, hope injury isn't too bad.

I'm a little disappointed with my time of 19.23 but hopefully wil see some improvement come Bangor.

07/09/2012 at 12:40

Great job yesterday as always Kenny.  Sorry for last minute arrival - tailback of traffic going into Portglenone was terrible.  Very good turnout last night and a different course since I was last there.  Good to speak to you Rodney, that's a good time.

TG, were you lapping the football pitch afterwards?  I saw someone in your club colours and would have said hello if I had thought it was you.

07/09/2012 at 13:25

Paul I wasn't fit to lap afterwards... That was likely Gregory Walsh. I think I know your face now so must say hello. Claire Connor won the womens race by the way!

Bad tailback coming from belfast at randalstown.

08/09/2012 at 08:41

Good luck all for Waterside tomorrow - say hello if you see me - no. 489!

Training has been patchy recently so a little worried now!

Bit breezy & a bit of rain forecast for the morning.

08/09/2012 at 10:07

Hi everyone. I have just signed up to this site and am looking for some advice (sorry if this is not the correct part of the forum). I have been going to the gym for 2 years but have grown sick of it and would like to move to the great outdoors and start trail and road running.

I live in Carrickfergus and there are quite a few dams and forest trails to run on but is there any trails you would recommend traveling to to run, whether it be for the intensity or even just the views?

Also can anyone recommend some reasonably priced gear to buy for the trail and/or road running?

Lastly can someone give me some general advice on how to approach outdoor running and any tips or tricks as I am completely new to it all?

I am aware I am asking a lot here but any response, if even to one question I asked would be helpful.

08/09/2012 at 15:35

Welcome to our forum, Ryan. My advice is to just get out and do it. There are nice routes on the roads around Carrickfergus out the Beltoy and Marshalstown Roads. When you're up for a challenge, try going up the Knockagh Road. If you prefer the trails, the dams at Woodburn are nice for a run. Tardree Forest also has good trails, or even just take a run around Cave Hill. This is all my playground for runs and bike rides.

All you really need are decent running shoes. Road running shoes will do you for the trails, unless you take trail running more seriously. You may want to get you gait checked in a running shop first, before you buy shoes.

Why not try the 5k parkruns to start you off? See www.parkrun.org.uk for information on the local ones. The only other advice is to run gently, build up slowly and enjoy the freedom.

08/09/2012 at 17:48
Welome RH2 to the forum. As Paul has mentioned plus Glenariff Forest area is great and if you want a goal thn Race Over Glens trail race on New Years Day is great. As for road running/xc news try Atbletics NI website and nirunning website. Local clubs such as Seapark AC website should be worth a look.

Good luck and obviously there is a wealth of experience on here. Any lurkers wishing to break cover and help out

Peter Runs Forty At Forty: Two's The Magic Number: http://peterrunsfortyatforty.blogspot.com/2012/09/twos-magic-number.html
Edited: 08/09/2012 at 23:53
09/09/2012 at 14:52

Hi Ryan welcome to the forum. Sperrin Harriers run a winter trail series if you don't mind travelling. Check out their website for dates or you can find them on Facebook. I think the first one is the 27 Oct. For clubs in your area check out Athletics NI you can also find all the latest race. Race over the Glens is a greast way to start the new year. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Well done evryone who ran Waterside today it turned out damp. I managed a seasons best but still a long way to go to be were I want to be. What did you think of the new course. I quite liked it except for the bits were you ran down onside of the road round a cone and back up the other side. I was a bit disappointed that HMM had ate all the Mars bars before I got finished.,

09/09/2012 at 15:31
Kenny I've 19 of them in the freezer. Best eaten cool, I'll keep 1 for you Glad u got season best. We stayed around to cheer runners on but Jules and the boys were already cold waiting for me. The course was ok Kenny, flat and the bits were you turn are strange.

Spotted a few familiar faces and was pleased enough with 1.42.?? The wind on the dual carriageway was a pain but it's the same for everyone. Great run from Iain Taggart in our club 73 mins and 7th place. 3 of our ladies all pbd. Good day out, v tired now.
09/09/2012 at 20:10

Hadn't a great run at Waterside - was on course for sub 1:50 at halfway point but I paid the price for not gettin much training in since Cookstown.

Suffered big time on the way back in with the wind & rain but managed to hang on for 1:53 - happy enuff given the patchy training.

Wasn't a fan of the course at all- the first & last mile on the country lane was great (although very narrow & congested and hard to get into a stride) but all those added in contraflow bits & industrial estate running just didn't do it for me!

Anyway a "born again" PB I suppose so ok with that.

Good running HMM... well done on SB Kenneth - what time did u run?

10/09/2012 at 10:21

Ricky my PB's days are long gone. I ran 2:14 and was pleased with my run. First time I have run a negative split in a long time.

10/09/2012 at 10:57

Ran my first half yesterday.... Waterside, I agree ricky w about the industrial estate cone thingy.. finished in 1:58:38 delighted with that, I also got no mars at the end!!!!! I suppose I will have to run a bit quicker to claim a mars bar!

10/09/2012 at 14:18

Good running yesterday everyone.  Well done Ray, I finished a few seconds ahead, so I must have got one of the last Mars.  It was close to my slowest ever half, the flatter course didn't do me much good on the day. 

10/09/2012 at 14:29

Well done Kenneth on the negative split - don't think I've ever run one of those!

I know exactly what you mean on being pleased with a run - I was much more pleased with my run at cookstown even though I was 3 mins slower as I felt very strong over the last 3 miles and ran my quickest mile splits over those last 2 miles. It just felt like a much more satisying run at Cookstown.

Great run Ray for your first one - and you enjoyed it by the sounds of things! I must say the Mars Bar was gratefully received and went down a treat - I only had one - honest! You will look forward to doing more halfs as there are many (in my opinion) that are much nicer runs then this "new Improved" course that we had yesterday.

11/09/2012 at 09:46

They offered me cheesy wotsits at the end which didn't do anything for me. they had also run out of water but I managed to get on round the walkers finish. Did anyone go for the tea I just wanted to get into dry clothes into the car and get home.

Ricky I started off steady and maybe could have pushed on earlier in the race but I was pacing someone to a PB but when I reached 10 miles I felt strong and the 13 mile was the fastest. If I'd pushed on earlier I would have been slowing at this point.

There are much more scenic courses than this out there.

11/09/2012 at 10:26

Magic mile

Mark I think I recall you talking about doing a mile. There's one for you this friday.

11/09/2012 at 10:44

Just noticed that up in the Antrim forum....never ran on a track before so looking forward to this!

We would encourage you to visit the Marathon Talk website to register: (www.marathontalk.com) and then come along to ANTRIM FORUM (Athletics Track) on FRIDAY 14th SEPTEMBER 2012 to run your mile. The horn will sound at 7.15pm to indicate the start of the one mile challenge. Although you are encouraged to use your own device, we will have several time-keepers in attendance as back up!

After the event, all you have to do is log your mile time on the Marathon Talk website before 16th September, and hopefully celebrate either a new personal best or your first ever one mile time trial!

The event is totally FREE of charge, provided by NiRunning (www.nirunning.co.uk). This will be an informal gathering, thus suitable for runners of all standard (over 16 years old). You do not have to be registered with ‘Marathon Talk’ to participate, but we would encourage you to do so to show your support!

13/09/2012 at 15:23

so who's for the Antrim Forum tomorrow?

13/09/2012 at 15:29

Sorry can't make it Mark. Should be a good night and a bit of fun.

i did something like this many years ago run a mile for the guide dogs it was hard work becuase your eyeballs out the whole way.

13/09/2012 at 16:43

Can't make it either  - I fly to Newcastle tomorrow night for the Great North Run weekend. Looking forward to watching my nieces & nephew in the Junior Run on Saturday, Mo Farah in the GB&I vs USA City Games Sat pm and then my second attempt at the GNR on Sunday.

I would loved to have run on the track at Antrim Forum, never having experienced it and would love to see how fast I can actually run a flat mile. Though as Kenny points out, eyeballs-out for 5+ mins sounds painful and certainly not a good idea with my dodgy hamstring!!

Enjoy, Mark!

17,601 to 17,620 of 20,246 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.