Northern Ireland Running

17,621 to 17,640 of 20,130 messages
13/09/2012 at 17:48

Sorry to butt in but I'm staying with a friend in Belfast next week and was looking for a 5 mile running route that will take in the sites of Belfast without taking us into areas we would be worried about running in.

I know NI quite well, running on the Lagan towpath and North Antrim Coast  but I don't know Belfast apart from the city centre.

I've tried mapmyrun etc with no joy.

Cheers

13/09/2012 at 18:03

Piers....what day would you be thinking of running and at what pace?

13/09/2012 at 21:09
Piers cavehill would be a good run for you if you like hills. You would get a view of all over Belfast plus you'd be off road.

It's a bit hilly but worth it.
13/09/2012 at 21:58

Weekend morning about 9 at about 8-9 min pace.Was thinking about a route around the city centre, Merchant, Waterfront then out to Titanic Quarter then perhaps a quick mural or two before back to Hotel for breakfast

13/09/2012 at 22:08
Piers, tell us where you want to start. And what distance you want to run. Myself or tommygun will give you a safe, interesting route to run.
13/09/2012 at 22:44

Thanks for the offer but I don't know when or if we will be running. Intending to seriously sample Belfast nightlife so what is a good idea may turn into a non-event.

Might take you up on the offer when I'm back in NI solo though.

When does the Portrush park run start? quite like the idea of a flat 5k, my local one has a big hill in it!

14/09/2012 at 00:26

Piers - Victoria Park run in East Belfast is flat as a pancake.  

14/09/2012 at 09:58

Portrush started last week. Meet at the Watersports Centre off the East Strand Car Park.

14/09/2012 at 12:20
Victoria parkrun is about 1 mile from City Centre and takes you past the Harland and Wolf shipyard etc.
14/09/2012 at 13:18

Going from one extreme (Longford marathon) to another tonight at the Antrim forum with my 1st ever mile race!!  I have no clue whatsoever how to pace a mile so it should be interesting to say the least.  Glad you all enjoyed my report from Longford, my legs seem to have more or less recovered from the ordeal!! 

Great to see everyone getting to a few races & doing well.  I'm hoping to fit in a few park runs in the next couple of months & could be tempted to give the Bangor 10k a go, I ran it a few years ago  & really enjoyed it.

Irene, Dublin is a definite NO for me!!!  All being well I'll attempt another marathon April/May next year.

15/09/2012 at 06:53

Does anyone know anything about the half/10k at Decathlon on the 23rd?  I thought about entering the 10k but the event seems to have very little organisation surrounding it. The best info I have got from google is

- Great Decathlon goodie-bag for all entrants
- T-shirt for first 100 entrants in each race
- Age Group Prizes in each race
- Limited entry numbers for each race!

A T-Shirt for the first 100 entrants is a bit of a laugh when you have already handed them over £15 or £25.  Ards had few entrants but everyone at least got a T-Shirt.  What exactly is there in the "goodie bag" - a chip and a number?

15/09/2012 at 21:56

Agree Indo - begrudge the high entry fee and won't be entering I,m afraid.

Well - how did any of the magic milers get on last night?

11mile LSR this afternoon - nice hilly route, enjoyed it.

15/09/2012 at 22:24
Results available on NI Running website
16/09/2012 at 14:26

Ah I see them now... v low turnout? Well done Mark & Heather! Dont recognise any other names..

16/09/2012 at 15:05

Cheers Ricky...it was at short notice but if repeated in the future its definitely one to do...well organised and professional and for me a chance for the first time ever do run a timed mile…and the first time on a track for me…as someone said- after all the excuses I gave to avoid running and games at school my p.e teacher would be turning in his grave to see me now!

For me being an unattached  and new runner (sorry plodder) turning up was intimidating but any worries were soon allayed by the friendly attitude of everyone.   Cant believe that something so good is free!

16/09/2012 at 21:13
17/09/2012 at 08:29

Aaah - see you now HMM.  All looking good in the pic!

Fair play to you Mark, I was worried I'd be a fish out of a water also being unattached etc - wish I'd made the effort now!

17/09/2012 at 10:11

Great running in Dublin C75.

17/09/2012 at 13:45

Well done to all the miles. A bit more notice would have helped but as Mark siad you get very little for free.

I had considered doing the decathlon half but £25 for a half is a bit much. So I did Derry which was £20.

9 miles yesterday morning funny run at times I was struggling and then others I felt I was going well. Last two miles my fastest.

Two good finishes at the GNR. 

18/09/2012 at 21:31

I listen to the Marathon Talk podcast but didn't realise there was an event here! 

Back for another one of my "I'm running really slowly" updates. Into week 8 of running with a HR lower than 150bpm. Showing real signs of progress, I'm running at about a min/mile quicker than I was at the start, and my avg HR currently is at about 141-143bpm on most runs. I could push on and maintain the higher avg HR just to see what I could do, but I'm enjoying running at about 1045min/mile. 

It works. I have to admit I was sceptical. I haven't been running completely at the low HR in all honesty, throwing in a fartlek session at the weekend could be helping as well? I don't really know. 

17,621 to 17,640 of 20,130 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.