Northern Ireland Running

17,641 to 17,660 of 19,853 messages
18/09/2012 at 22:43

The HR monitoring is interesting stuff, Jonny. One thing I've noticed is how the HR steadily rises over a long run, ie. for a steady 8.30min/mile pace on a 20 mile run the HR was 70% early on, but up to 80% over the last few miles as I was starting to tire. I know that's a bit quick for a LSR, and HR should be kept down to 60% - 70%, so I will try to be a good boy and slow the pace down in future. It's not my fault of course, its the 70's rock music on my iPod that's to blame.

I can do a cracker rift on my air guitar though ... 

19/09/2012 at 08:17
Jonny, glad to hear it's working. Hope to see you doing some of the last road races soon. You might surprise yourself.

Remember. Don't do ALL your runs at low HR.

So long as the long run and recovery runs are sub 70%, you will reap the benefits.

Mix things up. Keep the tempo session in your week and at least one other hills or speed session. Don't run these to hr. Run them to effort.

They will help ice the big aerobic cake that you are baking.

Rodney/Ricky - any similar progress?

Thanks for the comment Rod.
19/09/2012 at 10:03

Cavehill75 - I'm loving the soundbite "icing the big aerobic cake you are baking" - will remember that when the pain threshold approaches!

I'm recovering from Sunday's Great North Run which I completed in 01:35:35, pb by 13secs on Larne in March and just over 11mins faster than last year's GNR.

Loved a lot of what makes the GNR weekend and being part of a 40,000 field although the negatives of such a big (and expensive!) race make me appreciate the charms of our own smaller events! If it weren't that I'm fortunate to have free accomodation for the weekend, I'm not sure I would still have the next 2 years of my GNR membership firmly in the diary.

My hamstring held up well apart from feeling tight and a wee bit sore towards the end - the uphill miles 11 & 12 didn't help - but still managed to lengthen my stride sufficiently to run my fastest mile at the finish. My physio did however have me crying a good few times yesterday as she deep massaged the aftermath!

6 weeks to Dublin so need to get back to my P&D schedule - how's anyone else getting on with Dublin training?

19/09/2012 at 12:11

Well done at the GNR, Alwyn. I watched it on the tv; inspiring as always. You did well to get that time with the number of runners taking part.

Yes, so far I'm pleased with my training for Dublin. I'm on week 11 now and basically doing what Cavehill 75 advises above, ie.4 to 5 days each week with a LSR, a tempo and a couple of shorter, faster runs. I'm up to about 40 miles/week now and just started into the 20 mile LSRs. I do circuits, spin & pilates classes in the gym as well, which helps hold me together. The end is nigh, getting a bit of confidence now and starting to look forward to the day.

19/09/2012 at 15:26

Sorry guys I know dublin is a short time away, but, I am thinking of running the belfast marathon 2013 (I know a bit of time yet) as my first marathon, can anyone give me an honest review of this route, and is it a good course to do the first one on????? Also do I have to run it as a charity run??

19/09/2012 at 15:27

Thanks, Paul. Yes, the number of people running much slower than the target times allocated to each pen is a particular issue at a big race like the GNR! I will just have to improve enough to warrant inclusion in Pen B next year (was in C this year).

Sounds like you're enjoying your Dublin training. I'm getting apprehensive despite being reasonably faithful to my 18-week training schedule. Combination of debut marathon fears and the fact that my training partner is going so well and has aspirations for a time that I think is a bit too hot for me! Would love to run with him on the day but . . . .   Hoping to put in some really good solid work next 3 weeks and hopefully see the confidence levels rise!  

19/09/2012 at 18:07

Well done Alwyn on your GNR pb, I would reckon you would have taken more time off on a quieter course! 

Paul, sounds like Dublin training is going great, it wont be long until you start to taper!

Ray, I did Belfast last year & had heard very mixed reports about it before hand.  But I have to say that I really enjoyed it!!  The course has good bits & bad bits but thanks to a sunny day, there was very good crowd support that day.  One minus is water in cups, but you might be able to have some friends around the course giving you a bottle instead which is what I did.  I would say give it a go, its hard to beat sleeping in your own bed the night before & having a short trip to the race.

19/09/2012 at 22:23

Great time at GNR Alwyn - Iooking good for sub 3.30 in Dublin then? No pressure!

Cavehill - I got teed off with slow/low HR running after Cookstown and upped the ante with speed sessions & hill sessions as well as weekly LSR... paid the price with a suspected overtraining injury a few weeks later. Training was then very on/off and felt I underperformed at Waterside albeit running 3 mins faster than Cookstown and a seasons best of 1.53 ... was hoping for 1:49 but wilted dramatically on the way back in!

No more races planned for the rest of the year and now that the niggle seems just about gone am in the early stages of a 3 month period of low HR base training. Dark nights are now a pain - alarm set for first early run tomorrow instead!

Ray - Belfast was my one & only marathon in 2006 (route unchanged since then I think)... I really enjoyed it, lots of support most of the way round. The only negative was the loughshore path/duncrue industrial estate around 16 - 20 miles.... lonely & relatively unsupported at the point when you need it most! Finish in the park was also a shambles with dog walkers/old dears etc getting in the way on the narrow paths. I would do it again and am considering starting a 18 week programme at Xmas this year if the forthcoming base training goes to plan! As Heather said - hard to beat a home marathon - go for it!

19/09/2012 at 22:43

Thanks Paul, it's definitely opened my eyes to how I should have been training when I started 2 years ago. 

C75, I definitely think I'll keep one speed session/fartlek run in every week. I'm only running about 30pw at the moment with 4 runs. 

20/09/2012 at 08:53

Paul (B) your training is pretty much the same as mine without the spin class.... 5 runs per week with a long one, 2 easy ones, a tempo and a sessions of some description getting up to 40+ miles...

Great running at GNR Alwyn.

Good to see some of you doing the HR training. It's very good for the fitness and brought me on no end.

Paul that's cardiac drift which everyone gets - there's no harm in a long run drifting a bit especially with hills / more time on the feet.

21/09/2012 at 10:36

Just coming to the end of my 9th week of HR training. Avoided club runs for the first few weeks until I got to a level where I could do them within my HR limits. This week I have done 8.7miles on Monday night with 2 x 10min intervals at 85%, an easy 8miles on Tuesday morning under 70%, 10miles on Wedneday night including intervals with the club, 10 easy miles last night and will do 7 easy miles today and 12miles up to 75% tomorrow. Will ease back next week for Bangor 10k and hope it goes well.

My weekly mileage has gradually built up from 40 miles in the 1st week to 60 miles for the  8th and 9th weeks.

Notice a difference in recovery runs and also that I am doing more miles but not feeling as tired. I did a parkrun last week but ran 5miles before and after it so not sure how the run went. Ran 19.17 which was an improvement on Portglenone 5k but then it was more hilly.

TG, how is the hamstring after Portglenone?

Edited: 21/09/2012 at 10:40
21/09/2012 at 11:24

Rodney - sounds like good training. The lower intensity of most of your sessions will probably leave you less susceptible to inury too. Good luck in Bangor - be interesting to see how you get on.

Hamstring not too bad now. First tempo back, though took it easy, last night so hasn't kept me out particularly long. Got a bit ambitious racing more or less week in week out and sometimes more than once in a week given I'm reasonably injury prone!

21/09/2012 at 15:26

Right here goes for my HR report.

I started 2 months ago after a 4 month illness resulting in several hospitals stays.

I started at 10 min / miles at best with walks in - between due to no fitness or stamina.

Each week I increase my distance and milage but kept every run at 60%-80% effort/BPM

Heart rate is 37 BPM resting and 186BMP max effort.

I am now running 16 miles at 60-70% effort which is 9-9:30min/ miles and steady state to fartlek runs at 70-85% effort at 9 - 8.30m/m which was slower than before but the effort needed was greater. To sumarise the intensity is less, run slow to run quicker is working but I may need another 2 months yet to reach my old pace but the effort to maintain the pace will be less i.e. 80% effort. I can now manage 40 miles per week with good quality training and the aim now is to start adding 1 session of speed to my routine to increase the sharpness and intensity. If I can manage this then everyone is capable of this as I really started back at nothing but the results have come very quickly, be patient and see what happens is my advice. Good luck and stay injury free kind regards John

22/09/2012 at 09:15
It's really good to hear that the HR training is working for you guys. Looking forward to hearing about the progress, pbs and increased enjoyment you get from this approach.
22/09/2012 at 12:06
Good stuff everyone and great to hear fellow club mate John back on track. No. 26 tomorrow - Decathlon half. Would not be a 'must do' race for me normally but it can double up as training run for C'way next week.
23/09/2012 at 12:05

Good running guys.

I did 12 miles this morning with the Dublin marathon group it was the last 12 of a 22 miler so I'm sure my HR was low. Lovely morning for a run but it looks like the weather is about to change.

I'll have to get a new battery for my heart rate monitor anf give this HR training a go.

23/09/2012 at 19:21

Hi folks! Just completed my 2nd 20 miler for Dublin - what a lovely morning for running!  Hope it's as nice next week for the Causeway as I've entered the 1/2.  Then one last 20 miler left, though might try and do 21-22 miles - what do you all  think re going greater than 20 in a training run? This will be my 8th mara with my best time being just (only just!) under 4 hrs in Belfast in May. Hope those running Decathlon had a good run.

23/09/2012 at 19:47

well done Irene...re the causeway...it looks a bit too off the road for me!...a breeding ground for a twisted ankle....will stick with Bangor 10k.

23/09/2012 at 21:16

Thanks Irene. The weather at the Decathlon was perfect this morning. I'm glad I did it, even though the £24 registration was a bit steep. We did get 3 pairs of running socks in the goody bag for that though, as well as the usual cereal bar and a gel. There were just 143 doing the 10k and 134 doing the half, but at least plenty of familiar faces among them. The course is perfectly flat so I got a wee pb with a time of 1.35.56.

Irene, I think the 21 - 22 miles will do no harm, and should give you a wee bit of added confidence. And yes, it'll be the Causeway for me too next Saturday. It's early still, but the weather forecast seems ok so far.

24/09/2012 at 07:25
Ran 1.41.xx y'day. Well done Paul super run. In the end I liked the course, the 2 laps and friendly marshals Still prob a couple of quid too dear but water bottles at stops is a big bonus in my opinion. Our Bmena girls all had super runs in 10k and half with Sharon picking up 2nd lady overall. Not sure if course wiuld duit a really wet n windy day though. Great run from Jim who was as fresh as a daisy after
17,641 to 17,660 of 19,853 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.