Northern Ireland Running

17,701 to 17,720 of 20,182 messages
07/10/2012 at 20:26

Patrick, keep at it, went off the smokes in march 2011, still off them, so from 40 a day habit to running my first 5k in march 2012 (26:XX) since that I have ran,10ks,  5 milers, 10 milers, half marathon and today a PB in 5k (23.13) and never felt better, so good luck its always worth it!

08/10/2012 at 09:58

Got a nice 16 miles under the belt yesterday still keeping the Heart rate mointoring going and feeling stronger with each run. A spring marathon is looking good if I keep this progression going. Welcome Patrick, well done and I look forward to seeing you progress.

08/10/2012 at 12:38

Hello, Folks - checking in after a few weeks: it's always amazing to read how many varied training runs/races people have undertaken. Big respect to Paul D on completing Causeway Ultra - would love to hear more, if only to put me off the notion of ever attempting an Ultra!!

Reading with interest how the fellow Dublin marathoners are getting on. Also, did my last 20miler Saturday morning: along the Lagan towpath from Lisburn Civic Centre to Stranmillis & back. The run further confirmed that my dodgy hamstring is well on the path to recuperation but threw up another concern about my marathon debut: as Paul D commented it was cold early Saturday. I run very 'hot' and always sweat excessively so despite air temp, I choose to wear only a Helly Hansen l/s top. Combination of it soaking through and air temp left me chilled to the core such that hot shower afterwards had to be supplemented with an hour under the duvet before I warmed up again! If Dublin is forecast cold, may have to rethink clothing options. Although given the pain I imagine I'm going to be feeling in the latter stages, feeling cold would probably be a minor issue! Any advice from marathon veterans?

On a totally unrelated point, I know reference has been made previously to Ryan Maxwell's NIrunning website but was thinking again yesterday, as I read his Twitter updates & the comprehensive and prompt reviews of the weekend's racing on his site, that his efforts really deserve the support of the local running community. I'm sure the word about NIrunning is increasingly 'out' although the lack of posts/feedback on the Forum section suggests people already well catered for with this Forum and their own club Forums? (yes, my Coleraine Inst Latin teacher would turn in his grave at my not using the correct plural form but 'Fora' just sounds wrong!).

08/10/2012 at 13:56

Alwyn  

Re: NIrunning, I tried to leave a comment on one of the "fora" but for some reason couldn`t leave one???? 

08/10/2012 at 15:12

Hi Ray you have to register before you can leave a message.

Alwyn I have a similar problem. I sweat quite a lot and my core can get really cold. Sometimes in the winter it can be really painful and has cause me to cut long runs short. I'm not sure what the answer is.

08/10/2012 at 16:39

kenneth i am registered on the site. still no joy!

08/10/2012 at 21:15

Alwyn, I did Latin too.Quite liked it, But my daughter advises me that 'forums' is now accepted in everyday language so has become grammatically correct. 

On the cold weather clothing bit, I wear a winter base layer under a long sleeve shirt. It isn't breathable and traps sweat which works fine only as long as the core stays warm. I'll try a breathable base layer and see if that feels warmer.

You were asking about the ultra. It took me nearly 9 hours so was 'running' at an average of just 13 mins/mile. You could walk faster. I hadn't trained for it and just aimed to keep within the cut off times. HMM was winging it too, but he finished well ahead of me. The last 13 miles, after the turn around in Ballintoy, just got more and more painful;, Even walking hurt so it was easier trying to keep running. Would I do it again? You bet! It was well organised, the company along the way was brilliant, the sea and the views were awesome and the feeling of achievement when crossing the finish was immense. I wouldn't like it do it in bad weather though and would recommend to anyone to book on to it as late as possible.to be sure of the forecast. 

09/10/2012 at 11:05

Anyone else heading to the first XC race of the season on Saturday ?  I did a 7 mile run on grass yesterday in preparation and hope Saturday isn't muddy. It certainly drains the legs more than road running.

09/10/2012 at 12:17

Hi Rodney, having just read 'The Art of Running Faster' by Julian Goater, I'm convinced by his arguments that cross-country racing helps you become a better runner on any surface by developing strength, stamina and mental-toughness!

After Dublin Marathon, I'm tempted to enter some XC events. Although, looking at previous year's results, the small fields of relatively elite/hardened XC campaigners is a bit off-putting. I can cope with trailing around near the back - what was that about mental toughness?! - but getting detached is a newbie-fear that deters a little.

09/10/2012 at 13:24

Doing Dublin as my second ever marathon and am looking at forthcoming races between now and then....Armagh and Dundrum...with Dundrum being a week before and on sand would it be one to avoid?

09/10/2012 at 14:09
Alwyn dont worry. Myself and Robin entered an international xc race a few years ago and we had great craic. Think the kenyans only lapped us once. Ps I bwat Robin
09/10/2012 at 14:11

Mark, I doing Dundrum as my last hard-paced piece of work before Dublin - though I'm a marathon first-timer so my advice perhaps not so valid. I've followed the Pzitzinger & Douglas 18-week schedule and after Dundrum I will rest Sun & Mon, 6m recovery pace Tues, marathon pace 8m Weds, Rest Thurs, 5m Recovery & Strides Fri, 4m Recovery Sat & rest Sunday.

I ran Dundrum last year & now I have other races to compare it with, I would definitely recommend. The boardwalk & beach sections break up the road/track sections although, last year, the strong headwind made the 2m beach section really tough - but it's only 2 miles! The tide was well out (haven't checked the tide tables but assume it will be well out again!) and we ran close to the dunes on reasonably hard sand - my Garmin records show I was almost 1min/mile slower on the beach section.

You've reminded me to enter - hope weather is kind to us!

09/10/2012 at 14:15
*beat
09/10/2012 at 14:18

HMM - thanks for the encouragement! I know they say even the last-placed finisher beats those who don't make the start-line!!

09/10/2012 at 15:21

Alwyn I'd give it a go. I always enjoyed cross country and was always at the back of the field. Some runners just can't handle the fact that people will lap them that is why they don't do it. I always stuck in their and finished the race.

Mark personally if it was me I wouldn't be racing this close to a marathon.

09/10/2012 at 19:16

Cheers for the advice folks...just registered but will be taking it nice and easy...the runs up to Dublin with be pedestrian paced...parkruns and a couple of 5 or 6 milers..

Did 20 yeaterday and still feel a bit drained..

09/10/2012 at 21:25

hi there. new to this forum, but if there are any runners out there up for the occassional long run, give me a shout. im used to doing half marathons... 1:48 ave time. ive got a ballot place for london marathon so need to start uping milage. want to finish around 4 hr mark.... let me know if anyone is interested. ta c

09/10/2012 at 22:40

Hello all - been a few weeks since I checked in. Welcome Clareey & Patrick.

Some good running and great to see the excitement building for Dublin.

These dark nights are not good - I'm finding it hard going out in the dark.... Where I run is very limited in terms of streetlights. Is it just me but do cars actually hit the full beam when they see a runner so they can have a good nosey? I've been blinded countless times and nearly run off the edge of the pavement/into the ditch as a consequence. Does anyone run with a torch or a head LED light? (I have one of those miners light stylee straps with a powerful LED but have never used it for running)

Then there was the comedian that drenched me a few weeks ago by driving thru a puddle on purpose.... the air was blue that night I can tell you loll

Anyway still getting 3 runs in a week totalling around 25mls including a longish one at the weekend.  

10/10/2012 at 09:54

Ricky I have never run with the head torch but have used it on the bike. Car drivers just love driving through puddles when they see a runner. Full beams disorientate you they do the same to cyclists they just never think.

Welcome Clareey good luck with the marathon. Where are you from?

10/10/2012 at 11:16

Ricky, the dark nights certainly are a challenge - I'm fortunate to be able to run at lunchtime when I'm working in Lisburn but limits the mileage although I have been known to run up to 50 minutes and take a little longer than the official hour lunch-break!

I have run from Moira to Lurgan and back in the dark, wearing a head torch for illumination of the sections without streetlights either side of Magheralin and Dollingstown. When using the head torch, I'm looking down, only maybe 5m ahead to spot any obstructions on the footpath. Also helps with avoiding looking into oncoming car headlights.

Coming to the end of the training schedule for my first marathon, I think I've already decided against ever wanting to run a Spring marathon because of the challenges posed by running high-mileage December-March. Having said that, not sure I'm up for training again for an Autumn marathon either!!

17,701 to 17,720 of 20,182 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.