Northern Ireland Running

17,741 to 17,760 of 19,850 messages
17/10/2012 at 22:19

Cheers looking forward to it, heres hoping the weather holds up. Last 6miler done tonight in preparation and felt pretty good. Paul OH were you far off your normal 8/9 mile time with the beach section?

18/10/2012 at 08:50

I was hoping to do Dundrum but I signed up for a 5k on Saturday before I knew about it. Hearing great things about it. A race in Groomsport went onto the beach for about 1k and it was by far the hardest part of an otherwise pretty difficult course. If there's a headwind then make sure you tuck in behind someone. It makes a massive difference!

4 x 1500m xc running yesterday. First time running in spikes and it felt really good. How would anyones xc times compare to road times on a reasonable course? My pace was pretty similar yesterday I think but the legs got heavier a bit quicker. I haven't raced xc before, first race is a 10k in 2 weeks.

18/10/2012 at 09:09

I've heard great things about Dundrum though have never done it.

XC is not really about times to be honest B_Kins so I wouldn't bother thinking about them. Basically you just get into a race with people of similar pace to you. The ground wears you down a good bit which you wouldn't get in roads and you're fighting to get good lines through mud etc. Basically forget about times and just get into a race with people of similar ability would be my view...

I might attempt one of those sperrin harrier races at some stage - they sound good and I would expect they would suit anyone regardless of ability. (To be honest pretty much every race does and people realise that once they start running...)

18/10/2012 at 10:16

B_Kins unless you get good firm condition your pace for croos country will be slower. Plodding your way round a course which has be cut up by earlier races takes its toll.

18/10/2012 at 10:50

Cheers. I'll forget about the watch and try to judge who i can stay with. I've heard the course will be pretty dry though. Its on top of a limestone base that drains really well. 

18/10/2012 at 11:00

Cyclingnrunning (can I call you CNR ), I did 67.50 for the 8 miles so it didn't slow me down that much.  It was just a case of putting the head down against the wind.  As far as I remember the sand was quite firm and good for running on.

18/10/2012 at 11:34

TG, good to hear you are planning a race soon. Has the hamstring injury cleared up ?

18/10/2012 at 11:40

A question I have never heard asked after is a cross country is what time did you get... If you do one I think you'll understand why!!

Had some patchy running of late with a few niggles but hoping to get back into it the next few days. Joined the PEC and have done lots of cross training and about 3 or 4 runs a week so hopefully won't have lost too much. A good time at the Seeley not looking promising though

Some good running at the XC last saturday. Leek good to see you back at it.

18/10/2012 at 11:49

I'm looking forward to the Seeley. I had a pretty rough, hungover run there last year so i'll be looking to hammer that time anyway

18/10/2012 at 22:25

Busy catching up on all the news on here as I have just returned from  the launch of my international marshalling career.at the Lake Garda marathon.  I had the very enjoyable task of giving out the finishers medals to the marathon runners which helped make up for the fact that I couldn't run this year.

Welcome to the newbies who've joined the forum recently.

I'm not going to be able to make it to Dundrum on Saturday, but good luck to all doing it.  I did it two years ago, and intended to take it easy as I was doing Dublin the following week, but as Paul OH says, the varying terrain and beach didn't really make much difference to the usual pace - in fact I came first in my category that year.  I particularly enjoyed the mix of road, boardwalk, trail and beach, although I have to say that the weather was particularly good that day.  Hope it's the same for you all this year.  I'll look forward to hearing how everyone gets on.

19/10/2012 at 09:51

Well done Mags always on the look out for a job.

5 miles in the rain last night. Forecast said light rain at 6.00pm I don't know what we are going to do when the heavy stuff comes. Enjoyable run but soaked to the skin.

19/10/2012 at 19:08

Great to hear you'd a great time Margaret....catch you at a parkrun soon!

20/10/2012 at 17:37

I did Dundrum today, I thought it was a fantastically well organised event and the route was great. The good weather helped to make it really enjoyable. I made my way round in 1hr 12, which was a quick enough time for me as I generally run at 9-9.30min mile pace. 

20/10/2012 at 17:39

Did the Drumbo8 today, what a lovely run! Superb weather and organised brilliantly. Very pleased with 1hr3mins58secs as well. Great mix of trail, road and beach will definitely be back next year.

20/10/2012 at 17:50

Yes, great day at Dundrum. Got round in 1hr 13 mins  - my last 2 miles were my fastest, and felt good at the finish which was pleasing. My Garmin measured route at 8.2 miles

20/10/2012 at 17:57
Sounds like a gr8 day had by all at Dundrum. Well done everyone, always nice to get off road. Welcome to the forum KG.
20/10/2012 at 18:09
KG55546 wrote (see)

I did Dundrum today, I thought it was a fantastically well organised event and the route was great. The good weather helped to make it really enjoyable. I made my way round in 1hr 12, which was a quick enough time for me as I generally run at 9-9.30min mile pace. 

It was great wasnt it, great mix of people and the different sections made it go quicker, I was slightly faster than normal as well which when you take in the beach section is very pleasing!

20/10/2012 at 18:20

Sorry posted twice

Edited: 20/10/2012 at 18:21
20/10/2012 at 19:15
Agree with positive comments about Gr8Dundrum: weather was so fantastic (especially compared to last year!), marshalling and post-race soup both top-rate!

Delighted with my run as a last session of pace-running before Dublin. Ran first 4m as planned in just under 07:00/mile, 30s/mile slower on beach which I really enjoyed: combination of remembering how ridiculously difficult the wind made it last year and kept telling myself slower pace was like taking a breather. Ran the last 2m back along the road without leaving too much in the tank. Chip time of 57:15 which was almost 7mins faster than last year.

Took advantage of the nice wee bit of massage (ouch! Thanks, Mark) provided at the end. Really looking forward to the rest of my taper and a full sports massage next Thurs.

Sorry not to meet any other forum contributors there today, hope all ran well!
20/10/2012 at 20:24

Alwyn thats great running, I came in at just under 8minute miles which is about my limit at the minute, nothing left in the tank either at end, had to take a seat for the lady to get my chip off!!

17,741 to 17,760 of 19,850 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.