Northern Ireland Running

17,761 to 17,780 of 20,137 messages
21/10/2012 at 22:54

Great running by all at Dundrum.... was a cracking day for it. I was thinking about you all as I ran a hilly 12 miler around local country lanes yesterday afternoon and had a panoramic view of the mournes from the midpoint of the run. The weather was perfect for running - must have been some stunning scenery around the Dundrum coast.

Good stuff Alwyn - that performance yesterday bodes very well for Dublin. I ran my Half PB by a considerable margin right at the start of my taper for Belfast a few years back and then ran just under my goal time for the marathon. So you look to be set for a good run in Dublin! (no pressure lol)

22/10/2012 at 09:16

CnR, always proof you've 'emptied it' when you have to sit down during chip removal! Well done!

Thanks for the encouragement, Ricky. I'm questioning the wisdom of pushing hard on Saturday now (Kenny did advise against!!) but it was a great confidence booster - that's 3 races in a row in which I've significantly lowered last year's maiden efforts (Laganside, GNR & Dundrum).

Awoke this morning to Radio Ulster weather bulletin advising we can look forward to single-digit Celsius temperatures by the end of the week - will be hunting out an old top for keeping warm before the start in Dublin! In fact, just looked at the clock and realised this time next week, I will be 15 mins into my marathon debut - scared & excited!!

22/10/2012 at 09:33

Alwyn always good to go into a marathon on the back of a good performanace. My big worry is that you get injuried so close to the marathon after putting all the hard work in. Get plenty of rest, eat well and stay hydrated. Take some old T shirts and a bin bag to stay warm before the race.

Well done to all who raced at the weekend the weather was perfect. Some good times recorded in Amsterdam.

I did 10 miles with the Dublin gang on Sat morning before going over to kids training.

22/10/2012 at 15:01

Glad you all had a good run on Saturday.  Enjoyed it myself too, running 66:39.  I heard beforehand that the distance was 8.2 so you were spot on Bracken.

22/10/2012 at 17:28
A certain forum member picked up an award at the Ballymoney Sport awards last week. Much too modest/shy to mention it himself. Well done Kenny, very well deserved.
22/10/2012 at 17:35

Enjoyed Dundrum too.  Managed to match my pace (which is so slow i wouldnt even mention it) for flat road over the mixed terrain - so was pleased with that. Went out a little quick and paid for it along the beach. Got a second wind back on the road and finished strong. I measured it as 13.26k (8.24miles) and was defo sitting down for chip removal!!

Easy parking, easy registration, good course and ace refreshments, and a few pints - what's not to like!

22/10/2012 at 21:05
Well done to Jim on his pb in amsterdam.

Dundrum sounds good - must run it some year.
23/10/2012 at 08:50

Kenny, sounds like some public recognition for your efforts promoting running & the Kennedy Kane McArthur races - well done!

23/10/2012 at 09:24

Thanks guys. I won the Sports Administrator of the Year Award in recognition for all the work I do for the club. We had a great night and it was nice to receive the award from our own Sally Brown.

23/10/2012 at 09:30

Congratulations Kenny - I was wondering what the award was.  Very well deserved! I'm delighted that you have been recognised in this way. You're a real star

23/10/2012 at 10:36

Yes very much deserved Kenny, well done.

TG, a great run for Jim and also a PB for Rodney Agnew of 3.10 and Iain Taggart ran 2.40.01 and another club member ran 2.55.

23/10/2012 at 10:41

Congratulations Kenny, well deserved.

23/10/2012 at 15:17

Kenny well done top man well deserved 

Thanks guys really enjoyed Amesterdam , run went well on a good flat course just dropped my pace over the last 5k or sub 3.20 was within reach  legs still sore but already thinking about my next one 

23/10/2012 at 16:24

Good to hear Jim and a new target in mind by the sounds of it.

Yes Rodney Ian Taggart is in some shape these days. I was 2nd to him in a local 10k about 2 months ago and was wondering how he'd shape up with the "big boys" as he demolished me. Seems at the top of his game right now and a decent guy too so good to see.

I saw some good runs from Ballymena runners but wouldn't be familiar with the other guys.

Well done Kenny. People like yourself are the people who keep running going and deserve to be commended for their efforts.

23/10/2012 at 20:21

Well done Kenny on your award.

TG, Thanks for the cheer on at the cross country, was much needed. There's no hiding place when your out there!!

23/10/2012 at 20:58

Congrats Kenny and well done to all recent marathoners.  How's taper going for those running Dublin?  I've developed a bit of an adductor injury in the past week which is fustrating - just hope it can hold up on the day!  Icing, stretching etc at present. Don't know whether to try a short run before Mon or just rest completely - comments welcome.

23/10/2012 at 22:50

Hi Irene. We don't really need to keep running at this stage. I would be more inclined to rest the injury.

Enjoying the taper. After 16 weeks and 500 miles training to get me from half marathon to marathon fitness, I'm going a do a couple more short runs at race pace, then relax over the weekend. This will be my 4th time doing this marathon, and hope to make a better job of it this time. It'll be a cold one though. 2C with the wind chill! Brrrrr!. 

I've downloaded the tracker app on my phone. It'll be handy if that works for anyone waiting along the route. How are others doing at this stage?

24/10/2012 at 08:54

Hi Irene, Paul D and any other Dublin Marathoners!

Sorry to hear about the injury, Irene. As Paul says, rest probably best at this stage. I believe we are unlikely to lose fitness by doing nothing this week. From what I've read and been advised, runs this week are really just to keep confidence levels high and avoid 'taper madness'.

Along with my training partner and fellow first-timer on Monday, we are doing 8 miles after work today - 4m @ goal pace book-ended by slow miles. Rest & session with the physio tomorrow and then steady 5m Fri with some strides and slow 4m on Saturday. Getting the train down on Sunday.

Yes, Paul, bit concerned about the forecast temp! I run 'hot' and experienced getting chilled on a 20 miler recently when the air temp and my soaked-through top combined in the later stages. Worrying about clothing choice on Monday can now be added to my list of apprehensions!

24/10/2012 at 09:44

Thanks everyone I just do something I enjoy but it's nice to get some recognitation.

Irene I would continue doing what you are doing. If you feel like a run just do something short and a steady pace.

It's difficult to know what to wear you don't want to be too warm and on the other hand you don't want to get cold. Good luck everyone heading to Dublin.

24/10/2012 at 16:09

Congrats on award Kenny.

Good luck to all the Dublin mara people...not running it this year

Forecast looks good at present...It should be mainly dry (just a light passing shower possible) with Temps around 7/8C. Cool Northerly breeze.

Those who are worried about being cold.....always remember better to be over dressed, you can cast away extra layers.

17,761 to 17,780 of 20,137 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.