Northern Ireland Running

17,801 to 17,820 of 20,245 messages
29/10/2012 at 15:31

Paul Thompson 2:55:29 excellent, Hugh Boyle 2:59:04 2nd MO60 in his first marathon. Some good PB's.

29/10/2012 at 16:17

Great running from the 2 of them , but Hugh's time is amazing.  Tell him i'm in awe.

29/10/2012 at 16:56

Alwyn ran 3:17:37 and Paul Brannigan 3:46:xx.

Well done.

29/10/2012 at 19:38

Justin Maxwell ran 2.42, 2 days after coming 3rd in the Snowdonia marathon!!

30/10/2012 at 08:52

Thanks TG. I really enjoyed yesterday. I stuck behind the 3.45 pacers nearly all the way and just soaked up the atmosphere. The support from the crowds along the route was tremendous, especially the last few hundred metres to the finish. It was great too to see so many NI club vests out. I took a wee gamble and wore my Saucony Kinvaras, although I hadn't previously done a run of more than 12 or 13 miles on them. My calves were screaming at the finish, but they worked a treat and my legs feel fine today..

It definitely deserves the name 'the friendly marathon', eg. little things like the man giving out the medals shaking your hand and congratulating you. Afterwards it was straight to the pub for a tasty lunch washed down with a couple of pints. It was a day to remember.

30/10/2012 at 11:26

Well done Paul & Alwyn and everyone else running yesterday.  I shuffled home in 4.38, happy enough as I got round without having to walk.  The 4.30 pacers left me behind at 20 miles.  Got a boost at 21 when Joe Quinn with the loud-hailer gave me a shout.  A couple of Springwell runners passed me at 23 Kenny.  The wave starts seem to cause a bit of confusion between chip & finish times.  Grand day overall.

30/10/2012 at 12:05

Conditions must have been good as there were some good times recorded.

Dublin was always a marathon I wanted to do but never got round to.

30/10/2012 at 17:13

Well done to all yesterday in Dublin.  I didn't have a great run as my hip was really sore from mile 18 and ended up walking a fair bit, so pleased enough with time of 4hrs 32.  Perfect running conditions and great support from the spectators, with plenty of humour!  Also brilliantly well organised and like Paul D I really liked getting the medal put round my neck, like a real athlete, lol.  Belfast could learn a lot from here

!

30/10/2012 at 17:59

Paul DB, Paul OH, Irene, Mark & other Dubliners - well done, guys!

I absolutely loved my marathon debut! From waking up at 5.30am like an excited kid on Christmas Day to my last pint of Guinness before boarding the train home. Very proud of my time if just the slighest twinge of disappointment that I couldn't keep my pace at the end and slipped off a London GFA  after seeing the 03:15 pacers disappear into the distance between miles 19 & 20. Happy to have experienced and survived the truism that  "the marathon begins after mile 20". Split times confirm I didn't leave enough in the tank yesterday for the final 6m 385yds but even-pacing would only have allowed me the 'luxury' of going 9secs/mile slower over the first 20m. Would that much slower an initial pace have let me maintain it through 24m rather than 20 and left me stronger to attack the last couple of miles in faster than-average? I guess the answer is 'Yes' but "experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". 

Thought the crowd support was incredible. Shouts of "C'mon Dromore" really helped in the second half although I'm still smiling today at hearing someone remark, "that's great running" as we passed the 2m marker!

Feeling remarkably good today though quads and calves happy I'm not contemplating anything except maybe the gentlest of recovery runs Thurs/Fri. By which time, it will only be 2 weeks till the Seeley Cup!

30/10/2012 at 20:44

Well done all.  Great to read the reports. 

Irene, sorry that your hip didn't hold out for the full distance, but you still managed to get a great time considering. Now you can take it easy and give your hip a chance to recover properly.

Paul B and Paul OH - I didn't realise (or didn't remember) that you two were running it, but of course I shoud have known.  Trust Joe to be there shouting for you.

Alwyn - glad that your first marathon was such a good experience. It defintely has to be one of the best marathons for spectator support.  For a lot of those people spectating yesterday, managing to get to the 2m mark would be considered great running indeed. I love your experience quote.

And a very well done to Mark on his second marathon. 

31/10/2012 at 10:03

Well done all who ran on Monday some great stories coming out. Alwyn it's hard to get your head round slower is faster. Marathon running is all about even paced running and getting that pace right. We've all been there and went too fast at the start and been unable to hold the pace at the end.

I saw somewhere the Foyle Marathon is on 10 May. Is our wee country going to be able to support three marathons in a month?

31/10/2012 at 10:32

Tough luck with your hip Irene, still a great run in the circumstances.  At the finish I heard the man with the medals say "Well done County Antrim" to someone in your club colours who had finished beside me.  Nice to hear the home county getting a namecheck at that stage.

31/10/2012 at 21:47

Great running all - congrats!

Nice job Alwyn - great run, I'm sure you are delighted - keep pushin on with the training and sub3 on the cards Belfast 2013?

I agree Kenneth - sounds like lousy scheduling with 3 marathons so close together.... an autumn marathon oop north would make more sense.

31/10/2012 at 22:44

kenneth and ricky, the "walled city marathon" is the 2nd june, now i have heard a rumour that it is going to be limited to 1000 runners, (check out derry marathon walled on face book) all going well this will be my "maiden" (excuse the pun) marathon. congrats to all who ran the dublin marathon

01/11/2012 at 08:58

That would make a bit more sense but they are still pretty close together. Good luck with the training.

01/11/2012 at 09:15

Thanks, Ricky - still buzzin at my Dublin experience.

On the main, I had followed the Pfitzinger & Douglas up to 55m/wk 18-week schedule. I would love to follow the 55 to 70m/wk schedule next time but it's a big commitment! I know the schedules are not meant to be followed with slavish devotion but I haven't yet got my head around the trade-offs of marathon prep with wanting to run other races (10Ks & Half-Maras) and still HAVE FUN running!!

It's lovely though this week to be chilling out and contemplating next year's goals.

01/11/2012 at 11:10

Alwyn, you did really well for your first marathon. Well done. And you picked a perfect one to do. Dublin must be up with the likes of London and New York for crowd support and atmosphere.

Agree with you about the dilemna between putting all your efforts into one race, or having fun and doing a variety of challenges. I like doing triathlons, so between those and also juggling to keep life balanced and particularly to preserve the peace at home, I don't get to put in the mileage for marathons. This was my 4th time doing Dublin, and by far the best as I did concentrate on the marathon training that bit better. It was so good this time running the full distance and soaking up the support, rather than the usual performance of hanging my head in shame and walking part of the last few miles. It would be nice to improve my marathon times further but; as you say, you have then to push up the mileage in training. Something else will suffer. Plus the risk of injury would increase.

Still, like you, I haven't stop smiling since crossing that finish line on Monday. I don't know about next year yet either but will enjoy the break over the next few months.

01/11/2012 at 11:23

Where do I start!

Edited: 01/11/2012 at 11:26
01/11/2012 at 11:25
Well done to you all, I completed Dublin (my first ever marathon) in 4:16 and I'm absolutely delighted , fantastic atmosphere , though from Trinity College onwards I was convinced someone was just adding streets for the fun of it !!
01/11/2012 at 13:02

Congrats, Martin! I'm just wondering this week if I will ever recapture in future races that thrill of completing a first marathon!!

I know what you mean about the latter stages - I was desperately trying to recall my knowledge of Dublin city centre and so wanting to believe the encouraging shouts of, "you're nearly there"!

17,801 to 17,820 of 20,245 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.