Northern Ireland Running

17,841 to 17,860 of 19,865 messages
10/11/2012 at 13:05
Have entered Steleye and RunindarkforMark this Wed. Need to crank up the races as I've had a few weeks break including some lovely running in Paris (no parkrun there though). I did run portrush parkrun again 2 weeks ago. Such a beautiful course - worth supporting Andy and Springwell. Steeley is good to catch up and watch the speedmen like TG show us how it's done. I have Ecos parkrun at 9.30 so my calf muscles will be screaming by lap 2 of Ormeau.

Hope everyone has a great run at Ormeau. Kenny - sponsor for each mile at Dervock ??100 a pop. Him said he'll sponsor the first 10k.
10/11/2012 at 15:31
Ha, far from speedy hmm.

Ran waterworks this morning and equalled 5k pb.

Went to watch international xc afterwards. Frightening how fast some guys move through mud and at vets age too.

Good to see rodney / jmcc.
10/11/2012 at 23:30

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4331099709120.170059.1036063132&type=1

11/11/2012 at 20:01

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79434400@N03/sets/72157631983955508/with/8176130501/

13/11/2012 at 14:23

I'm signed up for Seeley as well. Looks like its going to be a cold one!

HMM - I hadn't considered doing a parkrun before it but its in my head now..

13/11/2012 at 18:39
Bkins - it will be interesting to see how I feel on Seeley startline lol
Alwynn great article on nirunning. Great determination and a cracking time to boot. Well done.
13/11/2012 at 22:05
Yes alwyn great article on nirunning and great review from mark of dublin on the forum there. Very inspiring.
14/11/2012 at 13:18

Not sure if I'm going to make the Seeley as I have a problem with my balance and I'm struggling to run in a straigh line. If I don't run I hope to up to support.

Alwynn read your article big improvement in such a short time well done.

mark some good pics.

14/11/2012 at 16:25

thanks, guys for the encouraging remarks about my article in NiRunning - I enjoyed writing down my experiences as both a reminder to self of progress made and hopefully as a future source of encouragement when my enthusiasm for running may wane.

Ken, sorry to hear about your balance issue - hopefully it clears up as soon as it appears to have struck you down.

Club session last night, round the pitches in very wet & heavy going - gave me an insight into what you XC mudlarks love contending with! It certainly pulls on the hamstrings and calves - decided to rest up today.  

14/11/2012 at 22:30
Run for mark in the dark 10k tonight , great fun though 2 runs up the avenue to stormont was character building ! A fine sight to see 500 runners lit up with night lights heading up the hill.
15/11/2012 at 15:45

Great article Alwyn. Shows what can be done if you have the right attitude, even with the odd setback.

I tweaked my left hamstring last night at interval training but hope to be ok for Saturday. Using foam roller, ice, deep heat,ant-inflamatories and resting for 2 days. Will see how it is on a small warm up before the race and will decide then if I should race or run round at a slower pace with some of the other club members.

Hope you are feeling better soon Kenny.

15/11/2012 at 17:09

Thanks, Rodney. Hope your self-treatment works well enough for your Plan A on Saturday.

I 'm also nursing a slight hamstring tweak this past 48 hours after interval training on Tuesday - just when I was starting to think my hamstring had strengthened & repaired nicely. No problems at all with it during Dublin.

I have in my head a determination to run a steady first half on Saturday and try to up the pace for a good negative split but from what I hear, Seeley can be a bit chaotic early-on! I will try to use any lingering doubt about my hamstring to take it out steady but race-craft & disciplined pacing are still major learning curves for me. 

Any improvement with the balance, Ken?

15/11/2012 at 17:15

Martin, sounds like a good turnout for the Run-for-Mark event.
I ran a couple of the 26Extreme night 10Ks at Stormont last Winter and, as you say, it's a great effect with the headtorches - all the more given the numbers last night.

Not so many bright spots where I spent last night - at Windsor Park! Still trying to work out how 7 (or was it 8?) extremely close-range chances all went wide/over - very frustrating!! 

15/11/2012 at 17:34
I fear dark days ahead for Northern Ireland Alwyn, on a lighter note I read your excellent article on nirunning, well done and a big hurrah for us "bigger boned" runners ! Ps if it doesn't work out at Windsor there's always room at Ravenhill!
15/11/2012 at 18:30
Martin, I 'swing both ways' when it comes to the round and oval balls! Ravenhill season ticket holder as well.
15/11/2012 at 18:33
Haha !! Good man !
15/11/2012 at 19:09
Along with Martin I was one of the many runners at Stormont last night. Got caught sleeping at start and thought we were jogging up to start at the mat. Realised after about 20 secs that race had actually started lol. Have done quite a few head torch races but this was good craic on the roads. The hill was tough esp about 3/4s way up. Good event and would do it again. Pulled my left calf with about half mile to go and of course didn't stop . Still sore so will maybe just do Seeley and give ecos a miss. Ran 44.05 which in current shape I'm happy with. Would like to run low 43 on Saturday. Still a long way off from 40.50 at it last year though
15/11/2012 at 19:28
Hmm, I don't think you were alone caught napping, good night though, the hill was tough,the wee sneaky hill behind the monument was just plain cruel
15/11/2012 at 19:55
Yes Martin I wouldn't have fancied it a 3rd time.
15/11/2012 at 20:04

HMM/Martin - It wasn't just you that thought you'd got it wrong last night.  The rules kept changing by the minute.  I was marshalling the start with Joe Quinn and when it started we were both surprised the way it happened.  I just felt for all the 10k runners that were hanging around for 12 minutes in the rain after the 5k run had gone.  I had an even bigger headache at the finish but think it is all sorted now. Glad you enjoyed the run anyway - that was my regular Friday morning pre-work run prior to injury.

Just in from making up bags for collection for Seeley Cup.  923 entries - that's a lot of bags!  More to do tomorrow.

Alwyn I loved your article - very inspirational.

17,841 to 17,860 of 19,865 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.