Northern Ireland Running

17,861 to 17,880 of 20,136 messages
15/11/2012 at 20:17
Thanks margaret , it was a good run despite the wait , good luck with Seeley that's a great turn out
16/11/2012 at 09:25

Magaret, your commitment to the running community is fantastic - whether it's marshalling or making-up goody bags, your dedication shines brightly!

How is your long-term injury?

16/11/2012 at 10:11

I went out with the gang last night and did 6 miles. I pushed on for the first three and felt good but started to weaver a little towards the end. I am going to give it a go but may not get the seasons best I was looking for.

I hope everyones niggles clear up and you all have a good race. I hope to catch up with some of you tomorrow.

Mags your a star. I don't think there is anyone who has helped out at more races than you this year. See you tomorrow.

16/11/2012 at 17:36

Alwyn, I made up your pack today and am sorry to say that we had to give you a smaller sized T shirt than you had asked for, but if you're report is anything to go by it should fit you you okay. As for my injury, it's a lot more 'long-term' that I had at first thought. Mind you, pounding round 26.2 miles in London in April wouldn't have done it any favours so I've only myself to blame.

Kenny, delighted that you're going to give it a go tomorrow.  I have all Springwell's race packs home with me as there wasn't anywhere to store everything when we closed today.  I'll have them at theOzone for 12 tomorrow for collection so will see you then. (As for the volunteering, Seeley tomorrow will be my 75th stint so far this year, including the parkruns.)

16/11/2012 at 21:46
Driving home when I spotted a fella running kitted out for a cold Belfast night, asics,long winter leggings, hat ,hi-vis jacket and 6 cans of harp in each hand, and he was doing a pretty steady clip too

Good luck to everyone for tomorrow, maybe leave the celebrating until after the race !
17/11/2012 at 09:56
Good luckto everyone running today.
17/11/2012 at 17:24

A mix of the cold weather and a strong head wind on the road made it a tough day today! Great event as always though. I was hoping for top 50 but struggled a bit throughout and ended up just over 35 minutes in 54th. Sounds like it was a very interesting battle up at the front!

17/11/2012 at 17:48

Good to see Kenny, Robin, HMM, Leek, JMcC, Rodney and Mags today.

Managed to PB by just under 20 seconds and runn sub 35:30(just) so happy with that.

17/11/2012 at 20:38
Great running TG & B_Kins!

Good to meet Mags & Kenny today and HMM briefly on the course!
The 'L' T-shirt just about fits, Mags! Will be just right by next Spring - hopefully????

I just managed a PB today but disappointed to be given same Gun & Chip time on the official results. See same happened to Rodney and a few others who probably didn't start on the front row! Same with a club mate of mine, we crossed start line together approx 8secs after the gun. Hope it gets corrected at some stage.

Loved my Seeley debut. Didnt think I would but I liked the laps, knowing what lay ahead. Great to see such large numbers from each of the local clubs.
17/11/2012 at 21:45

Good running today guys some great times.

It was good to meet a few of you today. Mags are you going for the 100 in the year?

I managed a seasons best and a negative split for the second race in a row. Felt not too bad until the 9K then felt myself weavering a wee bit in the last K. I was a bit dizzy after the finish but recovered. I'm glad I ran now. I hope to get a couple of Parkruns coming up to Christmas and then give Race Over the Glens a bash.

17/11/2012 at 23:32
I emailed championchipireland about today's results and have received the following candid response from their representative. As he says, it appears to have been outside of his control and the accuracy of the results have been compromised by poor start-line/road closure arrangements.
Disappointing for those of us not given a Chip time - I busted a gut for every second improvement on my PB and it's galling to not have it recognised but worse things happen at sea!

Response from championchipireland:

The start mats were not set up right today so missed about 18% of the starters. It was an 8m wide system which uses 4 boxes and 16 mats all of which need a good 20 mins to get set up. The PSNI came along at 2.20pm to close the road and only stopped traffic at 2.25pm. I asked for more time to setup and was told no just go as it is hence we had issues. The rest of the systems were fine and the times are correct.

The solution I have suggested is to start the race in the Leisure Centre car park and run to the road and turn left. The current start place is dangerous for runners, cars and me.

I apologise for the missed start times but it was entirely outside my control.
18/11/2012 at 08:13

There was an issue with the times last year as well. ChampionChip are at the top of their game when they're given a chance; you should see how slick they are in more complex races such as triathlons. From what I saw yesterday, they did their best under the circumstances and the race organisers need to take their comments on board..

I'm pleased myself with the race. I managed to keep HMM 's '40 at 40' shirt in my sights, until the last few hundred metres anyway, and improved my time by about 45 secs. The best thing about the race for me though is catching up again with people. It's such a big event in the road racing calender... everyone seems to be there, it's a pity the Council can't open up a room afterwards and lay on a few refreshments during the prize giving (as Ards do for their half marathon in June)..

I got up this morning for a run, but the ground looks too icy here at the moment.

18/11/2012 at 09:57
We finished around the same time yesterday, Paul. Good to hear you were happy with your run.
Beautiful, if cold, morning. My hamstrings feel a bit tight and lower back stiff so think I will opt for walking the dogs instead of a run!

I emailed championchipireland back to say thanks for the quick response and to acknowledge it seems the problem yesterday was beyond their control. He replied again that he has already spoken with the course measurer, John Glover, who has agreed to re-look at the start line location.
18/11/2012 at 13:10
Ran 42.23 yesterday which I am pleased with. It's my second fastest ever 10k after running sub 41 last year. Great to catch up with everyone. Alwyn was that you who said hello on the way past me? If so you were looking strong and apologies if I wasn't too full of chat , I was trying to keep mr brannigan at bay lol

I agree with championship comments, knowing Glenn he will be the most disappointed of all. I'm not sure how a car park start would work as crowds are very big. Perhaps could work with staggered start?

Great running all round yesterday and look forward to catching up with everyone at the next major social race event on the calendar - the race over the glens
18/11/2012 at 14:40
Yes, HMM, that was me! Didn't pull out much on you in those last 2 miles!

How is your '40 at 40' challenge going? Where is your fundraising page to be found?
18/11/2012 at 15:27
Hi Alwynn need to count but reckon I've 8 or 9 left to do with the last one @ Glenariff for Race Over The Glens. I've a blog which is in need of updating although I just have not made enough time. You can find out more at

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/PeterRunsFortyAtForty

http://peterrunsfortyatforty.blogspot.com/
18/11/2012 at 22:17

really enjoyed the race on saturday, brilliant conditions for it in my opinion, good lot of support and liked the laps, so that you knew what was to come in the last mile or so, great to see such a good turnout as well,  - surprised myself going 3 minutes faster than  previous in bangor of this year, so a good way to end the road running year

19/11/2012 at 09:34

One of our girls didn't appear in the results. She was disappointed as she had ran a PB. Glenn was very helpful and managed to trace her at the start 1500m, 5K but not at 8.5K and 10K. He thought she may have lost her chip but she hadn't as she still had it after forgetting to give it back. I sent him a pic of her at the last corner. He found her on the video and was fit to slot her home.

With so many runners and such a short time to setup there are always going to be difficulties. I'm not sure how starting in the Leisure Centre Car Park would work with the left turn so close to the start.

I went out yesterday morning at 8.00 am cold and the roads were icy I managed to get 8 miles done but the legs were heavy.

19/11/2012 at 10:35

Alwyn, I was about 4 paces behind the mats and started my watch as I stepped on the mat and my time and race time matched exactly. Hamstring was giving me trouble so I had a massage before the race which helped a bit. Felt it right from the start but thought if I kept a steady pace without aggravating it I would be ok. On the little downhill section just before going out of the park onto the main road for the last time it started to tighten a bit more. From this point I eased back and shortened my stride. Approaching the finish I then added a bit of pace to get in under the 41minutes, which tweked the hamstring again but no real damage done. Actually felt fresh at the finish, rather than the usual coughing and thinking i would be sick. Steady pace seemed to help and maybe without the injury i would have been closer to 40minutes but who knows.

Alwyn were you wearing a bandana ? Think I picked you out in the photos.

19/11/2012 at 12:15

Yes, Rodney, that was me with the bandana - terrible look, I know, but I have to keep the sweat from blinding me!

Sounds like you managed your hamstring concern well during the race and you had 'something in hand' alright.

I started my watch as I crossed the startline mat and stopped it within a second or two of crossing the finish mats. My watch timed it at 42:14. My Gun time is given as 42:16. A clubmate who crossed the startline alonside me had a Chip time 9s under her Gun time. Either way, I know I just missed out on getting under 42:00 but I did beat my PB of 42:27. I'm accepting 42:16 as my new PB and that's the time written on my race number and pinned on my PB wall chart!

As commented upon by others, Glenn from championchip clearly did his best in testing circumstances and as Kenny's post testifies, he tries his best to be helpful with any anomalies.

After the awful weather we awoke to, sun shining now in Lisburn and I'm looking forward to a nice 4.5m recovery run at lunchtime.

Edited: 19/11/2012 at 12:18
17,861 to 17,880 of 20,136 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.