Northern Ireland Running

17,881 to 17,900 of 20,137 messages
19/11/2012 at 12:31

The Seeley is a tough one at the start. I don't think you could bring people into the car park. It works at the laganside but I started front row at laganside and there was nothing like the pushing and shoving there was on saturday. I think it's all the club runners trying to push to the front but it's like being in a cattle market followed by a 100 metre dash (more like half a k to be honest) to get position and perhaps not viable to bring it to the car park due to that. I did the great ireland run with a lot more people earlier in the year and even that was nowhere near as bad.

Well done on your PB Alwyn and good running all you other guys. Irrespective of not breaking 42 if that was your target Alwyn it will be there for again no doubt.

East down have videos of pretty much every finisher on youtube which I guess is a good way of tracking people who were deemed not to have finished when they did.

Edited: 19/11/2012 at 14:44
19/11/2012 at 16:11

TG I think Glenn had a video on the line. Probably as a back up. If they started in the car park were would people park.

Because it's a championship race all the top guns are at the front looking to get a good start. When you see how close the team race was dropping one or two place can make a difference.

19/11/2012 at 17:15

Glenn said in his email to me that the PSNI only turned up at 2.20pm to close the road, were only able to stop the traffic from 2.25pm and the problems stemmed from this lack of time to get set up. I don't know the regulations surrounding road closures, whether the organisers had asked for earlier closure or the PSNI were late/unable to close as planned? Sounds like the starter was under pressure to get the race underway and wouldn't allow Glenn any more time to complete set-up. Persumably this pressure stemmed from need to have road shut for as short a time as possible? Would a short delay to the 'gun' really have mattered? I was that inwardly focussed, I didn't notice what happened after everyone had run down to the Ormeau Bridge first time - was the road open again 'as normal' to 2-way traffic or to one-way only? I know we were marshalled to the LHS of the road but didn't notice what was happening with the traffic - so much for being aware of your surroundings! And I wasn't wearing earphones!

19/11/2012 at 17:23

Alwyn, I think the road was reopened to 2 way traffic shortly after we all went into the park following the start. I noticed traffic in both directions when I came out of the park on the first lap. There were several cars parked on the cycle lane there which pushed us out into the road in the way of traffic.

19/11/2012 at 18:58
Thanks, Paul.
So to have closed the road 20mins before the off and 10mins after: 30mins total road closure hardly seems unreasonable but maybe over a certain time requires special licences etc?
D S
19/11/2012 at 20:52
Interesting points re the start at the Steeley As Paul says, Glen works wonders on behalf of Championchip Ireland at on and off road races throughout the island of Ireland, and particularly at tris where there may be several heats and disciplines taking place simultaneously! My 2p worth to the start/finish debate at the Seeley woud be to explore the possibility of starting in the park and finishing in the car park at the marathon finish. A park start seems to work well at the Bangor 10k, and the layout of paths in the park could allow a start for elites (and users of this forum) and one for the rest. As the field would be spread out by the time they reached the embankment there would be no need for the PSNI to have to hold traffic completely. Good to see lots of forumites at the race on Saturday.
19/11/2012 at 21:28

http://www.athleticsni.org/Fixtures/Griddle-10k-Road-Race

A scenic rural 10k through the County Down countryside.....usual East Down hospitality afterwards.

20/11/2012 at 09:02

Alwyn I notice the PSNI car park in the left hand lane on my second lap it had moved to the laybye on the third.

They finished in the Car Park years ago but it would mean closing the whole leisure centre off as on marathon day. There was football matches and other stuff on on Sat.

20/11/2012 at 09:04

Alwyn closing roads wouldn't be easy to do. If they can't close them for belfast they wouldn't be able to close them for a much smaller scale 10k I suspect. To be honest I didn't even notice if they were closed during the race!

It actually annoys me seeing cars parked on the same side we race on. I have recollections of people trying to pass me, not saturday but previously on the last lap just at the car that's parked just so they can box me in!

Saul 10k is supposed to be a good one Lisoider. I used to work with a boy down there who I expect an email from this week about it but unfortunately can't make it this year.

20/11/2012 at 10:07

PSNI probably don't care about the time it takes to setup the mats. They just want to close the road start the race and go.

21/11/2012 at 14:08

Sitting in my office looking out at the bright sunshine and blue sky, knowing that I won't be able to get out for a run until after work and that by then it will be dark and miserable, meaning that i have to stick to footpaths and have street lights to see where I'm going. Just an easy run tonight to test the hamstring but would love to be doing it now.

21/11/2012 at 21:09
Couldn't agree more Rodney, lovely afternoon ,left the car at home,ended up at a meeting that started at 5:30pm and ended at 7:00pm,BOOO!! . Still had a nice run home though
21/11/2012 at 22:22

Same Rodney - looking out at it all day and thinking what a lovely day for a run.... got an 8 miler done with the headlight around 8pm this evening - dry but a bit gusty.

Roll on the lighter nights again - finding I'm only getting 2 runs in during the week (in the dark) and my LSR on a sat afternoon - totalling 25 - 30 miles p/wk. Feel I'm not progressing much though as I have plateaued at 8 m/mls for my weekly 6 mile tempo run and cant break the 48min barrier! - feels like I'm just maintaining fitness and not seeing any inprovements over the last 3 months or so.

25/11/2012 at 13:29
Mr Brannigan thankyou v much. Took the day off on Friday as I fancied a wee run in Mournes. Weather was magic - cold crisp blue skies, visibility superb although a bit breezy at times. Early start from Donard carpark at 8am to Saddle then across Brandy Pad to Hares Gap. Started to climb again and ran along the wall before traversing down Commedagh and back onto towards the Saddle and then the great run back into the town. 3hrs 20mins although it seemed to whizz by. Back home for lunch. I defo plan to do a Mournes trip once a month next year, can't do any harm to strengthen the legs. Ecos parkrun on Sat morning and club anniversary dinner last night. Great hearing about the success our club had had over 2 decades and hear about the great injection of new members this year and the committees plans for the future.
25/11/2012 at 21:05
Saul "round the griddle" 10k this afternoon , big thanks to east down ac and Saul GAC for a well organised run out . Fantastic afternoon for a run ,beautiful part of the world, and hills sooo many hills great day and a very hospitable bunch of people.
26/11/2012 at 09:36

Good running HMM. Sorry I couldn't make it to the dinner on Saturday evening but I have three coming up in quick succession. From the pics on facebook it looked like a good night. Your numbers have definately increased in the last couple of years so the committee mush be doing something right.

I managed 8 miles yesterday morning. It was cold bit not as icy as the week before you just had to careful not to get caught out.

26/11/2012 at 16:17

HMM, I'd love to try some running in the Mournes but would be a bit nervous at this stage about my ability to handle the terrain. Agree it would certainly qualify as 'strength' training!I've considered the 26Extreme Mourne Marathon (more realistically Half-Mara!) in my tentative 2013 race schedule but think I may be in the IOM for the TT in the week leading up to it.

Ballymena Runners certainly sounds like it's doing the right things in terms of attracting and holding on to new members. Great to hear local clubs are prospering!

Edited: 26/11/2012 at 16:19
26/11/2012 at 18:07

Alwyn, don't be put off by the trails. Sure, there are the mountain goats, but most of us just go out into the hills for the enjoyment. The Mourne Way marathon is no more difficult than any other marathon if you just take your own time at it. For example, there's no shame in walking the uphill sections or stopping at a feed station for a few slices of cake. In fact I think it's easier because the terrain is so varied, and the views and the craic so good.  A good way for prepare for them is a bit of circuit training over the winter to strengthen the legs.

Once you start, you'll be hooked!

26/11/2012 at 20:47
Paul, thanks for the encouragement!
I've just starting reading 'Feet in the Clouds' (a Tale of Fell-running & Obsession) by Richard Askwith. Full of stories of those mountain goats you referred to!!
Edited: 26/11/2012 at 20:49
27/11/2012 at 16:36

Hi all

havent posted for a long time not had great running recently had an awful run at seeley but now slowly getting back into the swing of things. Recovering from ballymena runners 20 year dinner, great night had by all.

A wee plug for Race Over The Glens on new years day. We have had to change the route this year due to ongoing tree harvesting because of tree disease. We had a challenging 6 mile route all on forest paths/trails. I cant manage to post picture of map of route here but it up on ballymena runners and race over the glens facebook page.

We are going for a training run at about 8.30am sunday 2nd dec if any one wants a pre race recce of the course

17,881 to 17,900 of 20,137 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.