Northern Ireland Running

17,921 to 17,940 of 20,120 messages
15/12/2012 at 14:51

As Kenneth said its too quiet on here , so I am using this opportunity to use the seasonal emoticons , I have injured my neck so cannot run until after Christmas , but I hope this post finds all you N.I runners happy , enjoying the Christmas season whatever you have planned,and may I take this opportunity to wish you all a Merry Christmas

16/12/2012 at 20:43

Good to see you at the XC Kenny. Last one of the year so feet up time for a week or two. I found that one a lot tougher than Ballyclare but happy enough with how I got on.

Very quiet on here alright. Usually Rodney and Kenny don't go AWOL at least... Mags doing great work as usual at waterworks keeping the parkrun going with Matt away.

17/12/2012 at 09:13

Still here TG. Taking things a bit easier for a few weeks and then plan to do Antrim XC on 12th January. Left hamstring (piriformis) giving trouble so no ROTG fro me as the hills  would be too much. After that a half marathon training schedule and see how I can do in Larne.

17/12/2012 at 16:55

Hello all! Thought maybe Winter blues were kicking in and everyone had stopped running?! Only joking

Rodney - sorry to hear about your injury - is that a recurrence from previously? My hamstring is a constant concern despite stretching/strengthening exercises!

No word from Kenny on his balance concern - hopefully sorted now!

TG - good to hear your XC runs have gone well. Have you plans to race early in the New Year?

How is everyone finding their motivation levels during these short daylight-scarce days? I have mapped out a provisional race calendar for 2013 and set my 5k, 10k, Half- and Marathon (Dublin) targets. My training partner for Dublin (this year) has today started his 18-week P&D schedule for London! Can't say I envy him over these next couple of months!

17/12/2012 at 17:31

Alwyn I've started to rack up the training for my half in March..today started at the fire station on the Springfield up to the Hannahstown road then on up to the National trust then on up to the path between the black and Divis mountain...then further onto the top of Glencairn and down to the Ballygomartin..back along to the west circular to the station....10 miles....seemed a lot more....but felt great at the end of it...

Theres so many choices re races...something that I was totally unaware of before I started searching about!...big choice this year for me is the Dublin rock and roll half verses Cookstown half...can't do both!!!

17/12/2012 at 17:37

Hi everyone, haven't been on here in ages, but I think everyone must have the same Winter lethargy!!  Still running away & my next race will be the Christmas Cracker at Casltewellan.  We have a 52 seater booked from Larne AC, I think at the minute we have over 20 teams entered, so should be a great wee day out.  Only downfall is the tough 10 mile run .

Next year I hope to be back marathon running with a spring & autumn marathon if all goes well.  I have relatives in Cincinnati so my Spring marathon will be the Flying Pig marathon in Cincinnati on 5th May!!  I enjoy trying out different places when running a marathon so thought why the hell not!!! Not sure yet where the autumn one will be, but plenty of time to plan for that. 

My other aim is to complete the half marathon series, I would like to do them all but again we'll just have to see how it goes!

Have a great Christmas everyone & hopefully might see some of you down at Castlewellan!!

18/12/2012 at 09:04
Mark the cookstown half is also in the WPFG you not running that?
Rodney nice to meet you at last, last night Kelly and you guys from Ballymena runners put on a great Santa run and a great spread afterwards.
18/12/2012 at 09:16

Alwyn the balance has come OK and I have stoped taking the tablets. I still have a ringing in the ear now and again but can put up with that. I did the Portrush Parkrun on Saturday morning and forund it tough going as high tide was at 7.30 leaving it a bit soft. This Saturday should be better as it's low tide and there will be plenty of firm sand. it's lovely running along the beach away from traffic and the sound of the sea.

I went up to Gransha to watch the cross country there was over 200 runners in the main race and the weather was perfect.

Did a tough 8 miles on Sunday the first 3.5 was up hill and into a head wind but it was a nice run home down hill and the wind on your back.

I had hoped to do the Glens on New Years day but my calf is a bit tight so I wait and see.

News from Dervock is there will be no Marathon this year just a half and 10K.

My plan for 2013 is to give Larne a go and take it from there just hoping it will be better than 2012.

18/12/2012 at 10:43

Likewise No Pain. Glad you introduced yourself and that you enjoyed our Santa Run and food afterwards.

18/12/2012 at 15:21
No pain..for me to do the wpfg half it would cost me $150 to register and $50 I think to enter. Same route same time same water stops can be done for ??20 roughly. Been told if I do it separate from the games and I win I won't be recognized by the wpfg crowd. I think they over estimate my ability...there's talk of 1hr10ers coming over for it! So I'd be running for the love of badge as they say...lol...looks like I'm off to Dublin!
18/12/2012 at 15:34
Mark if your in the Sports and 500 club it has been agreed that after the games you will get the reg fee back, don't be fooled by any talk of 1:10 either. There are all the age groups and also weight groups? Don't know what that's about but hey this one is for the badge
18/12/2012 at 22:47
Alwyn the cross countries are just a bit of training then hopefully i'll do larne half. I'd a disaster there the other year so hope tomake amends.

Plan to do the christmas cracker for a bit of fun but will be away for rotg.

I was confused by the wpfg talk there but get it now... I know a boy doing the half who'd be in 1:18 shape.

Kenny good to hear your balance is sorted.Rodney that piriformis is a rough one. Tennis ball on it may help. Google it.
18/12/2012 at 22:56
Sorry about that Tommy, I will be retired from the Fire Service in the July and in the grand masters age group so will be hoping 1:20 to 1:22 would get me a top three in my age group. But I have VLM and another sub 3 to get out of the way first;-)
18/12/2012 at 23:37

hi guys, wanted to ask a bit of advice (apologies if its in the wrong forum), running since the summer, had a few probs with shin pain couple of weeks back, took a week off with a few static bike sessions and started back and was fine. Managing 6-8 miles on average with the odd 5k thrown in, managed 2 and half miles last nght and had to stop, not just a bit of shin soreness, real stabbing pain almost, played football tonight and same thing. Prob is have 10 mile race on sat, best to rest all week and go for it on sat or try and get a few sessions in before weekend? 

19/12/2012 at 09:18

Patrick sounds like shin splints. I would give the race a miss as the only real cure is rest.

Hill session last night it was a bit icy but milder as the session went on.

19/12/2012 at 10:39

It's great to hear about everyone's race plans for the New Year. Sounds like Larne Half is on most people's agenda as the start of the road racing season. I'm hoping to do most of the Half-series next year although I know I can't make Dervock and Newry may clash with a trip to the TT - does anyone know if Newry is likely to be first Saturday in June (with Walled City Marathon now on Sun 2nd)?

With other Christmas commitments, think I may have to give the Cracker a miss but really looking forward to New Year's Day in the Glens.

Good to hear you running hard sessions again, Kenny! Last night, I joined my mate on his VLM Week One: General Aerobic 10miler - which we ran in just over avg 8min/mile apart from a 1.5m uphill drag which I decided we should attack all the way to the top!

Actually - Patrick - I had really sore shins for the first couple of miles last night which drained away as the legs warmed up. I haven't had any shin pain for ages but last night was my 4th day-in-a-row running and I was wearing an older pair of trainers which I suspect have now lost most of their cushioning. Planning a 5m at lunchtime with full wet weather gear and my newest trainers!

Edited: 19/12/2012 at 10:42
19/12/2012 at 10:58
Patrick as kenny says it would probably be best to give the race a miss if you're getting sharp pains. As alwyn says shoes are the main source of this pain so check rhem out.

Nopain 1:20-1:22 isn't too shabby for a retired person!
19/12/2012 at 11:52

Thanks Tommy at Larne I did 1:22 on the new course and 1:20 the year before that was with no taper as I was in full VLM training at the time. Just started to pick the miles up again for April and still think 2:55 or under is possible if it's cool on the day.

19/12/2012 at 18:27
Trainers are getting towards the end... New pair coming though, thanks for the advice guys, giving it a few days to decide
20/12/2012 at 01:08
Patrick,being fairly new to running I didn't really appreciate the changing of trainers, about 8 months in I had sore shins and a sore knee, I came on here and asked advice and like the guys say it works,invested in good trainers that matched my workload and haven't looked back, hard to do ,but, might be worth missing the 10 miler, if u r well ,if u can do 8 u can do 10 , also mark said earlier ,there are so many different race meets throughout the year is it worth crippling yourself for ??
17,921 to 17,940 of 20,120 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.