Northern Ireland Running

17,941 to 17,960 of 20,211 messages
20/12/2012 at 11:00

Alwyn, Newry only moved to June this year because the Bank Hol was moved.  I would guess that it will be back to the last Sunday in May next year.  I'm aiming for the Belfast marathon although the Walled City marathon is tempting as a one-off.  Hoping to get to Race over the Glens again. 

I didn't know what you lads were talking about until I googled WPFG.

20/12/2012 at 12:14

Thanks for that heads-up about Newry, Paul - wish you well with your marathon training in the New Year.

I'm breaking up from work today and looking forward to getting in some good daylight runs over the next 2 weeks - at least with this rain and milder temp, there's no fear of icy underfoot conditions!

20/12/2012 at 12:43
On the plus side i'm not going to have any weight problems post christmas as i've lost half a stone in the last 3 days through sickness

Hard to see derry and newry both getting big numbers in such close proximity- i think newry may suffer.

Nopain a target of mine for next year is a sub 80 half but just hypothetical at present.
20/12/2012 at 13:14

Tommy what was your time from Seeley?

20/12/2012 at 13:19
35:29 nopain.
20/12/2012 at 13:23

Thats flying so sub 80 should be easy for you.

20/12/2012 at 13:29
Ha, half a step up to me so we'll see! i'll do a few xcs first then step the distances up in training.
21/12/2012 at 07:21

Tommygun  - I did 39:59 at Seeley but I'm theoretically aiming for 80-82 minutes for Larne, I've done 1:26 on my own on a fairly hilly 13 mile course around home recently so I think with a three months to go, and under race conditions it's doable - but then I'm an optimist! You should be one step at least ahead of me!

21/12/2012 at 10:53
Jp if you train right and stay injury free no reason why not. 13 mile training time trials perhaps not what you want to do every week mind you!
21/12/2012 at 11:24
50x25m front crawl/drills working on my core and kick drills, I find these help me during marathon training, base building at the moment and should have just over 70 miles in the bank at the end of the week which is Saturday for me. Out later for an easy 6 miles.
22/12/2012 at 10:33
Nice run up and down Knockagh this morning but very wet and road way like a river.......
22/12/2012 at 12:06

Don't worry I haven't done it since and that was two weeks ago - after a light week! 10.6 yesterday at an easier 6:59 pace but slacking off a bit next week to get ready Race over the Glens on New Year's Day.

Whose going to be running on Christmas Day - I will I'm diabetic so it'll mean I can eat more!

22/12/2012 at 12:23

I'm fond of the Knockagh Riad myself, No Pain, although not in this weather. It's hard to beat being up there on a sunny morning.

Yes, I had to google wpfg as well. It's big. I see there are tieing in with the Belfast Triathlon, which seemed to go well last year when held for the first time. We went down to watch DS expecting him to come out of the water a deep shade of brown. He was a bit green around the gills, but otherwise ok.

No ROTG for me I'm afraid. Unfortunately I've joined the ranks of the walking (limping) injured at the moment. Possibly a tendon injury but perhaps a stress fracture above an ankle. I doing little mileage now and it came without warning so can only guess it was due to a combination of new shoes and running on a cambered footpath. Just when I was about to congratulate myself on a good year. C'est la vie. So no running for a while and just hope it heals ok.

22/12/2012 at 13:22

Welcome to the forum NP, PC and anyone else I've missed.  Looks like everyone's getting ready for the road ahead to Spring Marathon success.  Over Christmas I've Cracker, Greencastle, Lough 5 to do and then ROTG.  Looking forward to January and  start training.  My schedule for VLM starts on 21 Jan, so a few easy weeks of building up miles and get into the habit of training instead of just racing.

PC - ref shin splints - new footwear should help and a good rest period.  I'm no expert but being prepared to really rest and allow the body to heal properly is something which I see both novices and intermediates struggle with.

Hope you all have a great Christmas and no doubt will bump into many of you over the next few weeks.

HMM

22/12/2012 at 13:23

PS Alywnn - hoping to get run in Mournes sorted for mid January - will be in touch.

22/12/2012 at 13:34
Yep will run on Christmas Day as I have done for the past number of years.
Paul if its a stress fracture you need to rest I had that the week before VLM this year and it put me out for six weeks. I did the Titanic tri myself and had a puncture on my bike about a mile from T2 so ran with it over my shoulder some one posted the photos which I managed to get a copy We also met and had a chat at the Seeley cup if I'm not mistaken. I'm looking forward to the WPFG and will be aiming for a good half marathon time at Cookstown as its part of that event.
Howmanyminutes are you the same one who put the Ballymena runners video on YouTube? The one from the sport shop was very good.
22/12/2012 at 22:38
Hello all

I'm back on the thread for my bi-annual, "give me some info on running in NI" request

I'm not looking to race this year (already found a five miler on Boxing Day), more thinking of running up Binevenagh. I'm staying in Limavady but struggling to find some trails to there on. I've been warned that running through farms is inadvisable as there hasn't been a 'right to roam' movement here yet.

Any advice on the most runner friendly route would be gratefully appreciated.
23/12/2012 at 08:59

Welcome back BVRB.  There are some nice trails in Roe Valley Country Park and Kenny Bacon from Springwell Runners will be in a good position to advise.  Also try Downhill Desmene - another great wee trail course.  Try parking at P'stewart Strand and run the coastal paths which you can run for miles.

If you are here for New Years Day then Race Over The Glens is a must do race for you.  I plan to be at Greencastle on Boxing Day for the 5 mile road race.  Or if you are keen to go off road then the Turkey Trot in the Mournes on Boxiing Day is great but quite a hike and a there's a 10 mile off road race in Castlewellan.  Finally try Cam Forest about two miles from Limavady on the road to Garvagh.

Also if you head towards Ballykelly and go inland there are great wee trails I run on in Loughermore Forest and Ness Woods.

Edited: 23/12/2012 at 10:16
23/12/2012 at 11:42
Thanks HMM.

Just ran Ballykelly Forest which was pretty decent (same as Cam?)

Ive decoded to miss Greencastle - bit of a trek and lots of in law family stuff to do on Boxing Day.

Really enjoyed my run this morning, I think Roe Valley will be my project tomorrow!

Thanks again

23/12/2012 at 12:40
Yes BVRB Ballykelly is pretty grid especially uf you run in the forests on both sides if the main road
17,941 to 17,960 of 20,211 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.