Northern Ireland Running

17,961 to 17,980 of 20,244 messages
23/12/2012 at 13:02
Thanks guys, took week off and decided to go yesterday and see how it went, shins were dead on and finished in 1:19.39, which is quick for me! Surprising not too bad, sore today but not shins strangely!
24/12/2012 at 10:40

Well done Patrick. I'd get a physio to check them out.

I'll be out tomorrow with a girl from the Club who is running at least 3 miles everyday during December in memory of her friend who passed away this year. We had a nice wee run round Castlerock finishing down through  the forest back to Castlerock this morning. Unseasonably mild.

BVRB there are some great beaches locally to run on and their is Portrush Parkrun on Sat at 9.30 5K on the beach. Roe Valley, Ballykelly and Downhill Forest.

Merry Christmas everyone.

24/12/2012 at 20:25
Bvrb at the back of st Aidan's graveyard there is a forest path the whole way up to the top of binevenagh it's steep but fabulous up there , downhill demesne and forest and the beach run from magilligan to downhill are fabulous, enjoy
25/12/2012 at 21:23

It's normally this time of year that we get ready for the Spring training that lies ahead. Thought it might be time to ask our forumites (and lurkers) to share highlights/toughies of 2012 and your running goal(s) for 2013.

26/12/2012 at 10:32

Ok HMM. I've 3 highlights:

* crossing the finish line at the Mourne Way Ultra. I was just so glad to see that after 52 miles.

* running along the beaches at the Causeway Ultra watching the awesome power of the sea that morning

* crossing the finish line at the Dublin marathon in a half decent time after my 4th attempt.

For 2013, my running goals would be a sub 20min parkrun and a marathon time closer to 3.30. For the moment though, due to a frustrating wee injury, running is becoming a distant memory.

26/12/2012 at 13:43

Since I only started running everything was highlight in 2012, though I enjoyed slipping under 40 by a second for my first 10K at Seeley.

Targets for 2013

- a few 1/2 marathons - aiming for 1:25 maybe less.

-  5K/Parkrun - sub 19.

- 10K - 36 mins

And you never know - might go for a late entry for Dublin (though probably not).

27/12/2012 at 14:07
Main thing for me this year was only getting one niggle all year as opposed to being cursed by them. This has enabled me to train harder so i've managed pbs at all distances i've raced in and pb'd almost every race this year.

Goals for next year would be to step up to half marathon and hopefully break 80 minutes, break 35 in 10k and break 17 in a 5k. All quite big targets but hopefully achieveable.

2013 will probably start slow as i've been very unwell for a few weeks now but hopefully when i's cleared i'll be good to go
27/12/2012 at 14:41
2012 for me was all about broken bones, great training late 2011 up to the week before VLM then suffered a stress fracture. Trained with and ran Dublin marathon with Kelly from Ballymena runners got her round in a GFA time of 3:47 but I had fallen over in mile 16 and thought I had just sprained my wrist only to suffer later that night and after attending A&E informed that the radial bone was broken through the joint and had split badly....
Poor run followed in Seeley but did manage to dip under 40 minutes. Base training started in November for VLM 2013 and going well up into the 70+ miles a week and looking to lower my marathon PB come April
28/12/2012 at 14:09

I had great plans for 2012 starting with the Race over the Glens on the 2 Jan. But reoccuring illness through out the year put paid to those.

Highlights of the year was the successful KKMcA Festival of Running and winning the Sports Administrator  Award at the Ballymoney Sports Awards. So much work went into organising the Festival of Running it was great to see it all fall into place on the day and everyone enjoying the event.

Running wise I enjoyed the Waterside Half . 2013 I am hoping to stay healthy and get a few more races under my belt starting with the Larne Half and taking it from there.

28/12/2012 at 15:26

Highlights of 2012 for me were - 10k PB in Seeley, Parkrun pb and having an injury free year of running, helped by consistency, giving up the 5 a side and running with the club at north belfast 

downside was not training enough for belfast marathon in may - ended up doing 3 legs of the relay instead which helped out some friends who had entered though.  Also missing out on london marathon ballot two years in a row.

Targets for 2013 are consistent running, a marathon PB in Belfast in May, hopefully followed by increased speedwork and maybe another PB at 10k and 5k and an injury free year! Not asking for much!!

29/12/2012 at 20:51

Castlewellen Christmas Cracker done and dusted, what a great run in the mud and fantastic hills.

30/12/2012 at 16:47
Highlights of 2012 were a return to running after a 5+ year layoff and losing nearly 3 stone in weight. Also managed 3 halfs - Lisburn, Cookstown & Waterside.

Lowlight was failing to meet my target of sub 1.50 at Waterside - struggling home in 1.53 after going out too hard and paying the price for patchy training since Cookstown.

Target is a Spring Marathon sub 4hrs. Hal Higdon Intermediate 2 schedule starts tomorrow with a few tweaks ( tempo run midweek + each LSR increased by 2 miles). Have been getting 25-30 miles a week in since Waterside so feel the standard schedule is a little tame!
Total mileage 675 miles over nxt 18 weeks --- eeek!

New trainers now required - 6mths running and approx 600 mls on the asics kayanos is is pushing it a little I think? Time to have a dig round the online sales.
31/12/2012 at 00:42
2012 , I decided after losing 4.5 stone to start running, I chose titanic 10k , being from Belfast and it being the centenary, the buzz was fantastic and that was me hooked, queens 5k,Lisburn 10k,termoneeny10k all followed, as you can see I had no idea what my distance was going to be, tried crawfordsburn and musendun trails, yowsa not for the faint hearted Kennedy Kane was my turning point,I thought hey what about a marathon , finished the year with Waterside half and the Dublin marathon, run for mark and round the griddle, highlights for me were titanic (I finished), dervock (well organised and a genuinely nice bunch of people my kids were well entertained) and the Dublin marathon was just the best !!
2013' have had a neck injury which is getting better , plan is Belfast and walled city marathons , some halfs later in the year work commitments don't allow me a lot of Saturdays, possibly Dublin again Better times and no Injuries, Happy New Year Everyone !!
31/12/2012 at 12:14

Highlights were definitely getting back into running through the ecos parkrun races, these led to running the Dublin Half Marathon, Dromore 8, Seeley Cup all in PB's. The lowlight has been the knee and hamstring injury picked up 4 weeks ago, only just allowed back on the bike last few days to try and build it up again. Hoping to do Larne Half, Dublin Half and then full Dublin Marathon.....as long as the knee retuns to normal. Also hope to post a bit more on here as need all the advice I can get! Happy New Year to all N.Ireland runners hopefully see you around the races next year

01/01/2013 at 10:11

Happy New Year to everyone! Haven't been on for ages as still not running due to injury.  Been 3 months now and to say that I'm fustrated is too much of an understatement.  But hopefully I can start sometime soon and my wish for 2013 is to just get running and enjoy it!  It's only when you're off that you appreciate the benefits of running re fitness, club runs and camarderie amongst other runners.

01/01/2013 at 21:38
Well done to all those who ran the Glens today, great race very well organised by Ballymena Runners!
01/01/2013 at 22:20
Big Congratulations to HMM on completing his 40 races in his 40th year at Glenariff today! A brilliant achievement.
Loved ROTG today: wet underfoot, 810ft of descents (ouch! Quads!!), 799ft of climbing (ouch! Calves!! Lungs!!!). Loved it. Well, loved finishing!!
Great 'spread' put on afterwards too - well done, Ballymena Runners!

Happy New Year and wishing you all injury-free running.
Edited: 01/01/2013 at 22:22
02/01/2013 at 15:03

Happy New Year everyone.

Did ROTG yesterday for the first time due to th strange rota I work in the Fire Service, I have always been on duty and this is the first chance i have had to run it.What a great race on a great trail. A big well done to all the Marshalls and everyone from Ballymena Runners and ditto Alwyn on the spread afterwards. I will be back next year as I retire this year

02/01/2013 at 15:29

there was a spread?...didn't know that.!...damn, no one mentioned that!...

02/01/2013 at 16:42
It was an epic spread Mark! Great event yesterday. Was a first for me too. Some hills though, lol.
Does anyone have any good ideas for street lit long run routes. Its that time of year again, and I'm training for Vienna this time. But fancy having the option of doing some evening long runs instead if the usual Sunday mornings. Any suggestions, of a nice safe route in the greater Belfast area.
17,961 to 17,980 of 20,244 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.