Northern Ireland Running

161 to 180 of 20,125 messages
18/03/2005 at 09:35
No problem James I leave the house at 8:15 to meet the other guys at the top of Henry Street which is down by Flash n Pan chip shop at 8:30. It gives me a little extra. I am down to run 18 miles this week the others will probably do something shorter especially those running Omagh.
I ran home again on Wednesday night 9.5 miles not as bright this week was getting dark by the time I got home. We came back through the park to the leisure centre last night just over 5 miles.
18/03/2005 at 11:41
James racing two half marathons in a week is tough. I'll be Liverpool on the 2nd and Omagh fits into my schedule. I find it takes me a while to get over a half now, it could just be old age. You probably better concentrating on your marathon training and just doing the one.
Are you meeting me at my house on Sunday.
18/03/2005 at 13:58
See you Sunday. Do you think you'll be safe in the Railway Arms in an England shirt
20/03/2005 at 20:28
bloody glad its sunday

not a mile ran from tue-fri. got out yesterday for 8 and today for 16, that work thingy really dets in the way of things at times. was on call, still its over now for anuvver 6 wks.

anyone got to the new up and running in belshaft yet?

what about glenarif and jimmys 10?

not long to go now sseamus, dont forget and taper right!!
20/03/2005 at 22:18
Good man Ian, Good to hear from you. You're going well with all those miles. These were two terrific days for running.

I did 8 miles yesterday - glorious weather. I'll do a 5 miler on Tuesday and then a 3 miler on Friday. Then for the big one in Connemara. I just hope I don't pick up any germs/viruses before then.

The best of luck to everyone alse in training and for those doing the Omagh half.
21/03/2005 at 09:32
Hi James bit tired today. Had my cold bath yesterday after the run, stretched and lay about watching the tele. Did you see the world xcountry those guys cna fair motor. If I could doo 100m at that pace I'd be happy. Nice easy 4 miles on the xcountry today ground will be soft after all the rain.
Good luck on Sunday Seamus let hope all the had work has paid off will be thinking about you as I tuck into my Easte Egg.
Trainings going well Baldy looks like I'll do Belfast have the form filled in just to pick up the courage and post it now.
21/03/2005 at 21:40
you have got further than me kenny, i aint filled mine in yet.

James watch them there knees, a big jump like that is what made em sore, the RW 6 wk schedule was a bit easier on the joints than a sudden 19, build it up agen. Theres still 6 full weeks of training.

gentle 5 tonight in the wind and rain for me before a good 16x200 tomorrow @ 0630!!
22/03/2005 at 20:10
was that huffers or bluffers!!!!

am doing larne unfortunately. am away this week end. hate larne but need the fast miles.

keep up the ice, after your runs every little helps and keep a good eye on it. its easy to get carried away and then edinburgh will be a no go:-((
23/03/2005 at 09:28
Hi James how was the knee after last nights run. Cold baths and ice packs should help. Some off road running may help were you are not pound the hard roads.
Hill session last night legs still a bit heavy after Sunday.
Posted my entry for Belfast this morning.
Baldy are you taking your trainers with you this weekend.
23/03/2005 at 10:05
Treadmill would also be a bit easier on the legs. Weather looking good at the moment ltes hope it keeps. Running home this evening.
24/03/2005 at 09:08
Hi James tonight we are doing a short pre race run. I think James will be there he might want to do a bit more as he's not racing at the weekend.
Ran home last night legs and shoulders a bit sore today after circuits at lunchtime yesterday.
Good luck on Sunday Seamus all the hard work done now time to go out and enjoy the race and a pint of Guiness at the end.
24/03/2005 at 14:20
Hi Kenny and all the others, Thanks for the good wishes on Sunday. My wife and I will travel down on Saturday. I'm looking forward to the run on Sunday. In any marathon I've done I always take 2 or 3 glasses of wine the night before as it ensures a better nights sleep. Maybe I would be better without it.

The best of luck to everyone doing the half marathon in Omagh. Everyone has a good word on that event. Regards, Seamus.
24/03/2005 at 14:30
If it makes you sleep better it can't be bad for you Seamus. Peter Ferris is going down to run the ultra he will be looking out for you.
25/03/2005 at 17:09
I have been searching the forum for some kind folk who might give me advice on good spots to run while in Ireland.

I will be visiting in July, and will need to get in 4 training runs for a Marathon in the states.

I will be flying into Dublin, and staying in several different locations in Southern Ireland. Any suggestions?
25/03/2005 at 22:32
Jackie - The best place in Dublin would be around the Phoenix Park. There's lots of roadways through it and you can run on the grass as well. Its the most enjoyable part of the Dublin Marathon.

In the more rural areas of southern Ireland it would be safe enough to run on any of the roads. Regards, Seamus.
28/03/2005 at 00:58
Hi everybody - Just back from Connemara.

Did it in 4hrs 16 mins. I was aiming for under 4 hours but I need to train harder. I did Dublin in 4 hrs 4 mins but I now realise that Dublin is an easy circuit compared to the hills in Connemara. I did the first 13.1 miles in 1 hr 54 mins. I thought that I could take it easier in the second half. At mile 20 I was 3 hrs 3 mins running. That left me with 6 miles to do in 57 mins. I didn't manage it. It actually took me about72 mins to complete those last 6 miles.

Anyway I will be back and in the next few years I intend to do the Connemara Marathon in under 4 hours.

I'm going to start running up Glenshane to get prepared for those hills. Some people have told me that Connemara is as tough as Snowdownia Marathon.

How did you all fare in Omagh?. It was a beautiful day for running.

Regards, Seamus.
28/03/2005 at 11:06
Well done Seamus Connemara is not an easy marathon and 4:16 is a good time. Was this faster than last year? Training on the hills would help. Are you doing Belfast Seamus?
Omagh was a warm day. I ran the same time as Stranraer but it was hard work. I felt better at Stranraer. But I just trained as normal all week and didn't cut down before the race as my main target for the year is to complet Belfast. I would like to do 4 hours in Belfast but I don't thing I am in that shape at the moment.
28/03/2005 at 12:49
Hi Kenny - You did well in Omagh. It was a great day on Saturday.

I am entered for Belfast and am looking forward to it.

The good thing about running is that you always strive to improve upon times.

The best of luck with the future training.
28/03/2005 at 14:48
Yes Kenny - Last year I ran Connemara in 4 hrs 25 mins. I did Belfast a month later in exactly the same time of 4 hrs 25 mins.

I would like to beat 4hrs 16 mins in Belfast.

The last 6 miles in a marathon are very tiring.
28/03/2005 at 21:02
Hi Seamus - Can I ask if you know of any shorter races 5k, 10k etc that you or your pals know of in the month of July.

I really want to made good use of the opportunity I will have to see the Ireland on foot while I am there in July.

You all or so very fortunate to have such beautiful areas to run each day.

Live to run - run to live!

By the way - you guys are all fast! based on your posts....hope I do as well in my first Marathon.
161 to 180 of 20,125 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.