Northern Ireland Running

18,001 to 18,020 of 20,196 messages
06/01/2013 at 17:53

I've not run since the Portrush Parkrun on NYD. I probably shouldn't have done it as I had a cold and got a real soaking on the way back down the beach. Suffering from manflu since.

06/01/2013 at 19:07

Hi Phil - if you wait a month or so there will prob be plenty secondhand when the new year resolutions wear off!

Try wilsons auction tuesday night disposal sale - they occassionally have fitness equipment in their liquidated stock auctions.

Well that's my 1st week & 1st 31 miles of marathon training in the bag - only 17 more weeks & 640ish more miles to go!

Probably sign up for Belfast but considering Limerick as an alternative and make a weekend away of it over the Mayday weekend. Anybody done/know anything about Limerick?

Edited: 06/01/2013 at 19:07
07/01/2013 at 11:25

Well done HMM, great effort over the year and a good way to finish.  You were still way ahead of me on the day.  I thought ROTG was tougher this year or maybe it's just me getting older (799 ft uphill, I'll not forget that stat, thanks Alwyn), . 

80 events Mags!  In a year!!  Waterworks parkrunners are very grateful for your work, that's for sure.  Happy New Year to all.

07/01/2013 at 11:29

Haven't ran yet in 2013. A short warm up on NYD, where I realised I couldn't do ROTG was my last attempt. Pulled up in Ecos Parkrun on 29th December as felt a pop in my piriformis and resting until either Saturday or Monday. On the plus side I have lost a lot of weight over the last month. I am now nearly at the same weight as I was for my debut marathon in 2006. If the injury clears up and training goes well, Belfast Marathon might still be an option.

Hope everyone elses injuries clear up and those training hard reap the benefits when their next big race comes around.

Mags, you are an inspiration to us all. Keep up the good work and, who knows, maybe you will get back running soon.

08/01/2013 at 09:19

Sorry to hear that Rodney your not having much luck.

I thought 2013 would bring me better luck but have been struck down by man flu.

08/01/2013 at 17:35

Hi all-happy new year to all u forumities.Been quite some time since i posted here.Rodney -hope u been to physio or at least been referred by your doctor. Still getting lazer treatment on my troublesome right achilles but able to get round in training/races.Hope to turnout at Lurgan in the Masters xc champs and might up the training for half marathon.ps a lot of flu/viruses around KB.

08/01/2013 at 23:04
Hi all! For those injury- and largy-free, I hope your New Year training has started well?
To those suffering, hope you can get the trainers back on soon!

I really enjoyed our club session at Dromore tonight: 6 x 3mins at optimal target 5k pace with 75s recoveries. I've managed to run 6 days out of 8 so far in 2013 - would love to keep up that frequency this year!

Ps. I've finally worked out how to personalise my avatar - photo captured as I toiled uphill towards end of ROTG.
09/01/2013 at 00:59
Excellent Allwyn , tentative start to my 18 week plan for Belfast though this week I feel more like a runner, good to get back out there,well done to you and everyone else for ROTG ,wow what a turnout, Like I said to margaret I will make sure our paths cross during the coming year , best of luck with your plans ! Nice photo

Kenneth and Rodney I hope you r getting there
09/01/2013 at 10:43

Cheers, Martin - All the Best with your Belfast training plan. And same to Ricky W - maybe join you on some long runs in our area if you do them on a Sunday?

I'm joining a work colleague on some of his midweek runs as he trains for London. Some days I'm regretting my decision to not target a Spring marathon but mostly I'm happy to keep the focus on this year's Half-series with my heart then set on a second Dublin marathon campaign.

Beautiful day for a lunchtime 5miler - can't wait!

09/01/2013 at 10:51

Happy New year all......and wish everyone a successful year running......

See link, online entry for Jimmy's 10K now open

http://www.eastdownac.co.uk/index.asp

Mags great work at Griddle and all the other events you help out at, much appreciated.

09/01/2013 at 11:35

St Patricks day this year Lisoider - very good. It's been a while since I've done Jimmys so may give this year's a crack depending on how Larne preparation is going.

Going for my third run in 3+ weeks since the lurgy at lunchtime today. Nice day for it but will be a month for me to get my fitness back!

It's about time to start the marathon prep for most people I think so good luck to everyone with that.

Going up to watch at greenmount this weekend. I was going to participate but not strong enough with illness. Looking forward to seeing Fionnuala Britton and the top end Kenyans make light of conditions.

09/01/2013 at 13:27
Lisoider wrote (see)

Happy New year all......and wish everyone a successful year running......

See link, online entry for Jimmy's 10K now open

http://www.eastdownac.co.uk/index.asp

Mags great work at Griddle and all the other events you help out at, much appreciated.

this is the day before the first Dune Half marathon....if I do the Jimmy's it's going to be real slow!!

09/01/2013 at 22:32

Good stuff Martin - maybe see u at Belfast in May!

Alwyn - Training going well but v early stages of my 18 week plan... been running 7 days from 9 this year and legs feeling pretty good *touch wood/everything crossed*... touch of coughs/lergy last week for a few days but ran through it and am fine now.

Yes I do my LSR on a Sunday morning 1st thing - 13miler scheduled this Sunday & the company would be great! Although my LSR pace is prob way too slow for you ... 9.30 m/mls usually or slower if I could be more disciplined.
My previous, and only, attempt at Belfast was a 3.44 - I'll be content with sub 4 this time round so target MP is 9 m/mls.

Edited: 09/01/2013 at 22:33
10/01/2013 at 00:51
Thanks RW, my speed is something similar, as said earlier I will endeavour to introduce myself at future meetings c u soon and best of luck for 2013
10/01/2013 at 21:53
Hi all, I am building a page on my website dedicated to race reports from 2013. We are looking for contributors from anywhere in the Uk or further afield if there are any. Its nothing too serious but if you want to share your experience of a new run or an old favourite or even your local parkrun then please sent it to info@cyclingnrunning.co.uk.

It will get published on the website, blog and facebook page and it may help convince someone its the run for them.

We have had our first report and its a great read, have a look and if you are interested let me know.
P.S it doesnt need to be as long as this one!
http://www.cyclingnrunning.co.uk/newsitem/48/The-Atlantic-Drive-New-Years-Day-Charity-Run.html
11/01/2013 at 23:10
CNR, had a look at new site area ,very good, excellent first write up, very encouraging that it came from someone who was having a bit of fun and dying on a hilly run,been there !
13/01/2013 at 15:32

Just wanted to let you all know (if you didnt already!) Larne half marathon entries are now open.  Go to this link www.larnehalfmarathon.webs.com.  Hope to see a lot of you down running what must be the most scenic half in Ireland!!!

Managed to get up to Ecos yesterday for the 1st time in ages, really loved the new course & managed to get a pb of 23.28 (don't think my 23.08 over the short course counts!!)  I'm back in marathon training again & heading to hotter climes for this one in Cincinnati on 5th May.  I love doing marathons in different places so having an aunt & uncle living here was the deciding factor!!

Hope everyone is training well & all the flus & lurgys leave us well alone!

13/01/2013 at 16:47
Cheers Heather - I have Larne pencilled into my marathon training schedule. Last did it in 2006 - I believe the route has changed since?

I've my 2nd week done - 34mls in total. LSR was supposed to be 13 this morning but I felt nice and fresh so tagged a couple more on to make it 15. Snowed most of the way round but strangely a very enjoyable run!

Cincinnati sounds brill Heather! Hope ur training goes well.
14/01/2013 at 10:30

Hey, is there anywhere that provides Gait Analysis assessment in Belfast or NI?

Did mine in Up and Running years ago, but they require you to buy trainers immediately afterwards... so looking around for the best places doing this service.

Thanks.

Edited: 14/01/2013 at 10:31
14/01/2013 at 11:17

podium4sport do too - they're in belfast. U&R I think you can get gait analysis without buying trainers but have to pay for it.

18,001 to 18,020 of 20,196 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.