Northern Ireland Running

18,021 to 18,040 of 20,136 messages
14/01/2013 at 11:26

U&R quoted £20, which is a bit steep for 5 minutes work.

Edited: 14/01/2013 at 11:41
14/01/2013 at 11:44

podium4sport are almost in an industrial estate between cregagh and castlereagh road. They should also do it but I'm not sure if they charge or what they charge. There are some of their guys, one in particular, very knowledgable too.

Have a look online / contact them.

14/01/2013 at 12:44

Just over 4 miles on Thursday evening ans then 8.4 miles yesterday. I felt a lot better after doing it I'm hoping that me over the manflu. Looking now to build on this and get a bit of speed into the legs and run the Larne Half for the first time since 2002. I have a good squad of beginners and more experienced runners training for this Heather. For some it will be their first half. Looking forward to a good day out in Larne.

Roe Valley Country Park Trail run coming up on the 9 Feb. 8K race unfortunately one side of the park is still closed off after a landslide this time last year. I have made one small change to the course from last year. Entry forms can be downloaded from the Springwell site.

Neilem most places charge for this if you don't buy a pair of shoes.

14/01/2013 at 14:06
D.W sports didn't charge me a penny and I was under no obligation to buy anything for my gait analysis,( crescent link l /Derry )
14/01/2013 at 19:23
Martin Brady 5 wrote (see)
CNR, had a look at new site area ,very good, excellent first write up, very encouraging that it came from someone who was having a bit of fun and dying on a hilly run,been there !

Cheers Martin, hopefully a few more different experiences will come up on it! Its a great part of the world to run, although that's from someone who has only ever driven round it!!

15/01/2013 at 19:17
Just checked route for Larne half on their website and am a bit puzzled. It appears the only change to when I did it last in 2006 is a loop thru the town at the start. The loop out to Carncastle looks unchanged??

So surely it's now a longer course? Was it measured short previously?

Anyway getting some improvement in pace - managed a 5 miler tonight @ 7.39 m/ml pace - 38.15... Well pleased and glad to making some tangible progress!
15/01/2013 at 22:17
Ricky the loop at Forecastle doesn't go as far up the hill as before therefore bringing it in at the same 13.1 Good craic thru the town.
15/01/2013 at 23:04

Ahhhh ok - that explains it... cheers HMM

That was the tough mid section ...so less climbing now theoretically should produce a faster course?

16/01/2013 at 07:23
Less climbing but a wee bit sharper would be a fair assessment Ricky. Still a fast course in my opinion.
16/01/2013 at 19:39

yes as HMM says the middle loop is shorter with it cutting up Weyburn Road instead of going up the whole length of Croft Road.  Weyburn is a wee toughie, definitely don't push it too much at this stage, then take advantage of a good downhill once you get to the top!!

16/01/2013 at 22:33

Sounds good - I remember the downhill section back down to the coast - very scenic & very welcome at that point from memory! Ran my 1.41 PB here in '06 ... I'll be happy with sub 1.50 this time round though!

16/01/2013 at 23:58
Have never ran this race , sounds good, love the coast anyway, gonna try and work it into my marathon training, Saturdays still remain a problem , great to get a bit of insider knowledge thanks everyone
17/01/2013 at 14:37

Martin - Larne comes at a perfect time if you are training for Belfast ..... it's about 5 weeks beforehand so means you can "have a good go" @ Larne with plenty of recovery time during your taper month that follows.

Good indicator of your likely pace/time in Belfast too.... double it and and 20/30 mins.

17/01/2013 at 18:32
Thanks Ricky , I'm running Belfast and The walled city(Derry) 5 weeks later , the latter more for the occasion than the time ,Larne would be perfect , just have to go and work on the time off ,cheers
17/01/2013 at 19:25

Good on ya - 2 marathons - 5 weeks apart! Fair play...

Is entry now full for Walled City? Am I right there was only a limited entry?

Larne's my favorite half - def worth trying to get the time off to do it. (Heather where's my commission )

17/01/2013 at 21:11

Extra sandwiches for you Ricky!!

17/01/2013 at 22:18
Ricky it was limited entry and filled in a week,then it opened again for a week in the New Year, according to their website entries are now closed , pity coz I think more people would do it. Enjoy those sandwiches,though Heather I think as a potential Larne newbie I also should be extended the sandwich of friendship
17/01/2013 at 22:36

Yes Martin I think you are right - many delay entering in case they get injured/training doesn't go well - I know I do! Dublin use the old trick of increasing the entry fee a few times as the the date approaches thus encouraging people to commit earlier at the lower entry fee.

Heather you're gonna be busy makin all these extra sandwiches - hope you've time to run

OK - where's this snow? Just back in from a 6 miler and no sign - quite mild in fact @ +5deg .... according to the forecasts it will be a whiteout in the morning with rushhour chaos?!

18/01/2013 at 00:04
Ricky I signed up for Dublin 2012 the day it opened so its still working ,haha !

Back in from 5 miles , very mild night , but who knows , still wondering about those 15 to 20 milers in ice and snow .
18/01/2013 at 08:31

I'm going to do Larne and looking forward to it, but will not be signing up just yet  - why? because I signed up for Dervock last year and got injured and had to watch from the sidelines - I do not want to do that again - I'm a Ballymena man - don't want to loose my fee! It will be my first 1/2.

I was out running yesterday afternoon and it wasn't that mild I thought, cold stiff wind blowing, managed to do over 14 miles which is the farthest I've run - don't intend going above the 14.1 more than once between now and 23rd March.

18,021 to 18,040 of 20,136 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.