Northern Ireland Running

18,081 to 18,100 of 20,338 messages
24/01/2013 at 23:09
Cheers Ricky , was due 6 miles today but had a day off and for once some time to myself , felt my training was slipping a little so wanted to get in some miles , really enjoyed it. I'm on rest tomorrow , 6 sat , 11 sun , good luck for the big Sunday run
25/01/2013 at 10:10

Four miles with my beginners last night good to see trha back of the snow and ice.

Congratulations to Ballymena Runners on you award last night.

25/01/2013 at 11:55
Ricky - sent you a msg about possibly joining you on your LSR this Sunday?
25/01/2013 at 12:09

What award did ballymena runners win Kenny??

25/01/2013 at 14:07
Alwynn - had thought about long run in Mournes this weekend but was chatting to brown from 26Extreme yesterday and there is a lot of deep snow at high level. My 12 wk VLM schedule starts on Monday so will prob leave it till after London.

What sort of pace are you running your LSRs at? Off work today so heading out for 5 or 6 easy miles soon. Very wet though. Martin/Ricky etc good luck with long runs.
25/01/2013 at 15:56

TG I saw on Facebook they got a Special Recognition Award.

25/01/2013 at 19:25
Ballymena runners got a special recognition award from the council to acknowledge our 20 years anniversary.It was a great night at the sports awards with jackie Fullerton compering, so the cheesy jokes were big supply but good craic
25/01/2013 at 21:01
Very good robin. Running , with a lot of volunteering in clubs, becoming very accessible to everyone. You guys are doing very well with expansion.Good for the community as well as everything else.

The growth in springwell, orangegrove, sperrin harriers and yourselves this last year has been massive. We also have massive pools of people now too.
25/01/2013 at 22:23
Well done Robin , it's nice to have a bit of recognition for what your club is doing for the Ballymena area and athletics in Northern Ireland generally , keep up the good work
25/01/2013 at 22:56
Numbers are up in the clubs then ? Is it the London 2012 effect or why the upsurge of interest in running?

Martin, kept meaning to ask - what's ur target time for Belfast?

Alwyn - Looking forward to the run on Sunday - go easy on me!
26/01/2013 at 00:16
Ricky , Dublin 2012 was my first marathon , I followed the 4:15 to 5:30 plan on the Dublin marathon website because I didn't really know a lot about training plans (still don't) , added 2 x 22miles at the end because I felt at 26 miles I was going to die/ combust / fear of the unknown etc !! I finished in 4:16 and was absolutely delighted as I started with a "be good just to finish" attitude but really got into the training and loved every minute of Dublin. This time I was thinking of following the 4:00 guy but might be a big ask I have picked the Hal higdon intermediate 2 which increases my weekly miles and also makes my lsr runs longer quicker and includes 2x20 miles , so seems to suit me, but again might be a big ask to knock off 16 minutes, what about you?, I see Alwyns your pace setter this weekend good luck ( only joking, you guys are running at a great pace,enjoy) any advice as always is gratefully appreciated but I think the 4:15 guy might be more realistic
26/01/2013 at 09:54
Ricky a lot of it is down to parkrun.

I think it's been good for getting people who would have previously believed clubs were for elite runners into the clubs.
26/01/2013 at 13:23

Ah ok - the park run phenomenon... I can see why that would work TG. I still haven't done one - work keeps getting in the way on a Sat morn. Why doesn't someone break the mould and do a Sunday morning? Surely there's enough of them in Belfast on a Sat to make moving one to Sunday a good idea?

Ok Martin - well done on Dublin. I think sub 4 is well within you! Will there be pacers @ Belfast though - don't remember when I did it? (seven years ago though so maybe this has been one of the benefits of progress)
I used Hal Higdon on my previous (& only) attempt (Belfast 2006) so am using it again. Also the HH Int 2 plan although I have tweaked it a little by increasing each LSR by a mile or two and introducing 2 speed sessions midweek (tempo run & hill session) in place of planned easy runs. Also do some strides after my final midweek run. I'm aiming for sub-4 with this.
Larne at the end of March will be a pretty good indicator for us!

Edited: 26/01/2013 at 13:23
26/01/2013 at 16:49
Ricky parkrun everywhere is saturday morning at the same time. It's just the way it works globally. Also each belfast one is autonomous. Why should one move and not another? Very difficiult to suit everyone really.

13 miles this morning then down to watch xc. Not for the faint hearted!
Edited: 26/01/2013 at 17:00
26/01/2013 at 21:25
Ricky , Belfast has pacers for 3hrs through to 4:30 hrs , I found it very useful in Dublin so hope to use it again , keep up the good work, enjoy tomorrow TG like Ricky my Saturdays are a bit of a nightmare but must agree on why fix what's not broken , I like my regular drive of shame past them every Saturday at the waterworks, as I said to Margaret I will do it later in the year , you never know it might even encourage a loner like me to join a club
27/01/2013 at 18:38
Great LSR with Alwyn today! Mind u I struggled with last 2 miles of my planned 16miler and for the first time ever had to walk 0.4 miles of the last mile. This is concerning. I felt lightheaded & vision a little blurry at times - would this be consistent with being out of fuel.?
Ended up running 15.6 miles avg pace 9.20.
Went out at 12.30 with no food since 8.30am breakfast and nothing with me on the run so putting it down to fuelling issues. Will have to come up with a fuelling strategy for next sun as I am due a 17miler.
A little deflated after that experience today I must admit although the company made up for it during the previous 14 miles - cheers Alwyn, enjoyed the craic!
27/01/2013 at 18:56
Ricky - hadn't realised you hadn't eaten since breakfast!
I had 3 Weetabix with honey and milk at 9.30 (lie-in!) and a slice of toast with peanut butter at 11.30. I'm pretty sure your light-headeness is down to lack of fuel.
You'll need to set the alarm early next Sun to fuel properly an hour before you head out - and I will insist you have some jelly beans mid-run!!
27/01/2013 at 19:27
Ricky just sounds like lack of food but your lucky you didn't clock out. I was like Alwyn 3 weetabix and toast and jam a bit later and that was only for an 11 miler , the jelly beans are a good idea or a gel at about 8 miles on those bigger runs helps me. Well done both of you. I ran 5.5 miles slowish on a steady incline and then at a quicker pace on the return journey lovely morning for a run ,plenty of people out doing the same thing
27/01/2013 at 20:32
Bowl of porridge pre long run and some water is the best thing!!
27/01/2013 at 20:59

Had some water TG but too busy chattin to Alwyn and forgot to drink as regularly as I normally would. It was baltic cold with the wind so didnt feel thirsty either.

We did a couple of tours of Lurgan Park and saw XC course from yesterday - to say the "going was heavy" is an understatement - don't know how you XC boys do it!

I'll set the alarm next sun and have some museli & honey & toast..... maybe a banana for luck...... and I'll bring a few gels this time.

18,081 to 18,100 of 20,338 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.