Northern Ireland Running

18,101 to 18,120 of 20,246 messages
27/01/2013 at 21:18
Toasted bagel with peanut butter/nutella and a coffee.
27/01/2013 at 21:37
Ahh the power bagel reserve those for my big runs,has to be jam though because I absolutely detest peanut butter and Nutella ,TG I had my first bowl of porridge in about 25 years the morning of the Dublin Marathon so it must have worked ,sadly it reminds me of peanut butter and Nutella
27/01/2013 at 21:55
Porridge isn't heavy and is slow release energy so very good for the long runs in my view.

I only watched at lurgan park but it looked like very tough conditions. A few blasts from the past from this forum were competing.
28/01/2013 at 09:29

Porridge and honey for me on a Sunday morning carry a gel in case I need it. It's was probably a bit of dehydration as well Ricky. I used to run without water at this time of the year but you sweat with the jackets etc so you need to keep taking liquids.

We are starting to pick up some members from the Portrush Parkrun.

I measured the Roe Valley Trail Run on Saturday. The course is more or less the same as last year and is in good condition considering the amout of rain we have had recently.

Another 8 miles yesterday morning beore the rain came. I'm struggling on the hills at the minute so will have to get a bit of hill work done.

28/01/2013 at 10:45

Kenny - good to hear your balance issues appear to be behind you and you're starting to clock up the miles again!

Hope you get a good entry for Roe Valley. I enjoyed it last year but it clashes next month with the Irish Cup 'tie of the round' between Ballymena Utd and Coleraine when I hope to see the Bannsiders "run" rings around the Braidmen!

Good to hear you're recuiting from the Portrush Parkrun - I was watching the XC at Lurgan Park on Sat and there was an impressive turnout from Springwell.

Of course, usual very strong turnout from North Belfast, TG!

In fact, great turnout from a lot of clubs which highlighted the very poor showing from Dromore AC. I know a couple of our top performers are injured at the minute but it should still be a cause for some concern and debate at training this week. Personally, I still don't feel I can run at a level to take on the hardy perennials who plough their way through the XC tracks - although I had considered entry to the Lurgan event until I pulled/strained a muscle in my lower abs during a speed session last Tues on snowy, heavy pitches.  Definitely have XC participation on my target list for next Winter!

Enjoyed a nice slow LR with Ricky W yesterday - although with him finishing light-headed and my ab-strain bothering me a little towards the end and particularly afterwards, I suppose we proved that LSRs should always command respect in terms of prepartion and being fit-to-run!  

Very cold wind and now rain here in Lisburn so happy to take a day's rest.

28/01/2013 at 14:50

Alwyn the balance issue has cleared up and I can now run in a strsight line. I'm still having the ringing in my ear and this causes problems when I'm in a room and a number of people are talking. You should give the XC a go it's good strength building. A lot of our runners hadn't run any until this year. It's amazing the power of chocolate cake at the end.

I had manflu at the new year and it has left me struggling on the hills. I can cope with the flat and downhill but just die when I hit a hill. I am hoping to do Larne this year and was getting stick yesterday because I hadn't my entry in. it's pay day this week so I'll have to think up a new excuse.

28/01/2013 at 15:15

I agree with Kenneth - y'all need to get some spikes and try XC! I only started running last Spring but I was determinded to do some XC over the Winter - so I bought a pair of spikes off ebay for a fiver and did one in Ballyclare, Antrim and Lurgan on Saturday and I really like doing them - they're tough but not perhaps as tough as they look once you get going - i.e once you get wet and muddy you're wet and muddy!

I think Lurgan on Saturday was my favourite course so far (though Ballyclare was probably easier) - really liked the wee 'technical' bit up and down through the trees before the finish. Alwyn with regard to pace I ran 6.53 minute/mile on Saturday and was just above the mid point of the finishers if that gives you an idea of the pace.

Edited: 28/01/2013 at 15:33
28/01/2013 at 16:25

The stormont XC is 4 miles and it's not a bad wee course - it's at the end of february. I'd recommend to anyone to give it a blast(mainly targeted at you Alwyn!). XC is a different form of running altogether but you won't get better strength training and it's fairly cheap too - also everyone is in the race so the 70+ and the girls would be in this too.This will give an even broader spectrum of abilities than normal so no matter what level you are you should be able to race with someone.

I did 5 and a half at lunchtime there and got soaked. It stopped raining as soon as I got back to work

Good training article: http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/long-view-0?cm_mmc=Twitter-_-RT-_-Content-Training-_-maximizerunninglife

I've given up on runners world - this is from running times which is really good...

Edited: 28/01/2013 at 16:37
28/01/2013 at 20:16

Tommy what's your beef with runners world?...just asking!

28/01/2013 at 21:04
I subscribed for three or four years mark. Basically from what i can see each year is the same with slight variations. There were very few articles which i was finding interesting and all the training plans were very similar... Way too much advertising and very little about over here on it too.

Runningtimes has some very informative articles and it posts training which you think about adding to your own. Runners world never had that in my view.
28/01/2013 at 22:43

never read the runningtimes...will have to look out for it....i've read runners world for about 2 years after using my tesco vouchers for a subscription...totally agree the last of stuff from here is glaring.  

29/01/2013 at 08:31

I found Running Fitness has much more editorial, a lot more reading and it's cheaper.

29/01/2013 at 09:35

Alwyn give Stormont a blast. The courses are usually a bit drier at that time of the year. I ran it a few time and always enjoyed it.

I went out with my beginners group last night. I thought the weather would put some of them off but I had my biggest turn out at a Monday night session. It was a tough going in the wind and rain.

29/01/2013 at 11:26
Lol ref RW etc

Summer approaches - Sunglasses review (advertising)
Autunmn - best waterproof jackets etc
Winter - best hi viz gear
Spring - warm weather advice . Technical t-shirts etc

Repeat on yearly basis. Running fitness started off well then became ad heavy. I cancelled RW sub couple of years ago. Wife got me subscription for Christmas 2 months later. My heart sank Trail Running is ok in bits. The worst culprit is Men's Running - woeful with the exception of Ryan's NI Running section.

C75 told me about a US publication he gets delivered. Loads of training articles, nutrition advice etc. Can't recall name of it.
29/01/2013 at 13:25

Ditto Howmanyminutes also the USA runners world website is far more informative

29/01/2013 at 19:16

Re Stormont Cross Country - we have had to modify the course slightly this year due to the grounds remaining saturated since the Queen's Jubilee event in June.  Until a couple of weeks ago we weren't sure if we were going to be able to run it at all at Stormont as we had been asked by estates management to move it to another location. Finally after much negotiation and planning we have got the go ahead to proceed - but with a slight deviation to the usual route.  The course length is the same but I can't guarantee that it will be drier. Let's just pray for no rain for the next few weeks.

Further information can be found on the following link www.nics-ac.com or on the Athletics NI website.

Alywyn - hope you've been talked into giving it a go

As for RW magazine - I have 7 unopened copies here if anyone wants them.

Edited: 29/01/2013 at 19:16
29/01/2013 at 20:00
Mags will you be setting the course for the WPFG in August? And will it be the same for the NISC?
29/01/2013 at 21:10

No Pain, not sure yet about the course for the WPFG yet, but will let you know as soon as I hear.  What events are you taking part in?  I did an interview today for a volunteer role and if I'm successful hope to be helping out at a few of the running events including the cross country.

29/01/2013 at 21:20
Well I've put in for the over 50's 5000m on the 2nd, Half marathon on the 4th and cross country on the 6th. Not sure if my legs will be ready for the cross country but I would like to think I stand a bit of a chance in the other two races. Deep into VLM training at the moment and doing about 80 miles a week but not easy in this weather at the moment. Plan is a holiday after London then back into training for the games. Well done on the volunteering. Not sure if you remember talking to me at the Ballyclaire 7 mile road race when I was chatting to Paul.
29/01/2013 at 21:58

Hi to all-good to see a few of u guys doing the races over the grass.Great endurance training over the winter and very cheap(£4 at Lurgan last Sat.) Massive turnout of all standards. Hope to run a trail and a country race before the road racing starts up again.

No Pain-u put most runners to shame,doing 80 a week.Hard work brings reward.A rest day once a month? Ru in a club? Regularly ran around that myself but last century!!pps AW-Athletics Weekly a must read.

18,101 to 18,120 of 20,246 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.