Northern Ireland Running

18,121 to 18,140 of 20,165 messages
29/01/2013 at 22:39

No Pain, of course I remember you.  Not least because you're from my hometown.

As BBT says, that's an amazing about of miles that your putting in each week.  I hope it pays off for you in London.

29/01/2013 at 23:00
BBT, I second that, no pain that is some mileage and a fantastic plan of races I wish you well , what an achievement
Hi Margaret,keep up the good work.
Everyone else , agree totally with RW views ,a lot of ads and unrelated stuff and that's to a pure novice, I have read Irish Runner a few times which had some good articles but maybe TOO much race info .
To all you boys and girls out there I'm looking a bit of advice , I'm running Belfast and Walled City this Spring 5 weeks apart , just wondered what sort of training I should be doing in those 5 weeks ? Doing Belfast for time , Walled City because I just wanted to be part of it Your input as always is very much appreciated !
30/01/2013 at 11:18

Run forest run is this Saturday.anyone else doing it...i'd like to know what to expect....

30/01/2013 at 13:09
Thanks peeps I used to run for a club a couple of years back but do all my training on my own or with a couple of mates at the weekend. Going to try and break my London PB which I set two years back and have had a Fast Good for age place now for the last four years.
Martin P&D and Higson has plans for running between marathons I used the P&D plan five years ago when I did Barcelona and Belfast six weeks later managed to do Belfast faster
30/01/2013 at 13:29

thanks No Pain, I will have a look at them

30/01/2013 at 13:32

Martin I have never ran two marathon close together. Have a look at No Pains suggestion as it worked for him. I would think you need some recovery and just keep ticking over.

Hill session last night with the club I just hope it helps me on the steady runs now and I get a bit of life back into these old legs.

30/01/2013 at 13:43

Thanks Kenny , glad to see your up and at them keep it up   I'm going to recover in the first week and then thanks to No Pains advice i'm going to follow the Higdon 4 week plan as I'm currently following his 18 week intermediate plan , so that works well,thanks again.

30/01/2013 at 15:14
Martin I would just make sure you take a bit of time out after the second marathon.
30/01/2013 at 15:25

No Pain, nothing more arduous than some 10k or halfs later in the summer ,going on holiday late June so just plan on taking it easy , no plans yet for winter marathon might just stick to the halves

30/01/2013 at 19:23
Martin found this which will help.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51153/Marathon-Multiple-Marathons-Training-Program
30/01/2013 at 20:44
No Pain , checked out that link and the 4 week plan is just what I'm looking for, thanks again for taking the time
30/01/2013 at 22:04

Rotten cold since Monday - pushing on with the training anyway. Whether that's the right thing to do or not I have no idea.... actually felt much better after my hill session tonight.

Maybe I've sweated it out of me

30/01/2013 at 22:24
Your determined to be found lying in a ditch somewhere aren't you
30/01/2013 at 22:26

Hi there,

would anyone have an idea of the hilly areas in Derry marathon.

first time entering a full Marathon and slightly concerned about hills!!

30/01/2013 at 23:04
Grainne , I'm also running this marathon but haven't a clue about the terrain but I also know a very fine man named How many minutes?? Who is going to post some stats on this very forum in the coming weeks ,so keep an eye out and feel free to join in Hmm, no pressure !
30/01/2013 at 23:36
Re: derry marathon miles 1-6 flat, 6-10 uphill, 10-15 flat/downhill 16-18 hill, 18-25 flat, at mile 25 there is a hill not long but it will be a tester once you get over it its grand downhill then finish line, hope this helps grainne http://m.walkjogrun.net/jsroute.cfm?rid=64AA9110-A2BC-7C78-44D5930F15F3FDFB try this link http://thewalledcitymarathon.com/race-route/
31/01/2013 at 08:56
Martin - all joking aside I nearly did end up lying in a ditch. Some eejit in an oncoming car put me up into the verge and clipped me with his wing mirror! Even though I was lit up like a Xmas tree his response was 'sorry m8 didn't see you'... Anyway no harm done.
31/01/2013 at 09:20

Martin, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there are only four weeks between the marathons.  I was aiming for Belfast myself and then entered for Derry because it is a one-time only occasion.  I'm thinking of trying both but might end up giving Belfast a miss this year.

31/01/2013 at 10:18
Ricky , bloody hell some people haven't a clue !
Paul , yeh I noticed when I was writing up my 4 week plan that I only had 4 weeks,boooo !! I've condensed a little allowing a bit more rest at the beginning , a sports massage ,increased the long runs a wee bit and kept the taper , here goes ! , if you see any blue flashing lights up in Derry you will know my double marathon hasn't went well or it's just Ricky W out running again
31/01/2013 at 12:12

Martin if your not looking to PB in your second marathon you will be fine, take a few days of after the first one and then just tick over for the next couple of weeks 6 or 8 mile runs at most.

At the moment I am training hard for the Manchester marathon at the end of April ( looking for a PB ) then i am pacing the sub 4.30 group at Belfast might do Newry for fun and see how I go and then I am pacing the sub 4.30 group at Derry , so it should be a fun 6 weeks or so 

Edited: 31/01/2013 at 12:12
18,121 to 18,140 of 20,165 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.