Northern Ireland Running

18,181 to 18,200 of 20,294 messages
08/02/2013 at 09:25

I managed to get 5 miles in last night. Missed the rain and it was as cold and windy as it has been recently.

I hope you see a few of you at Roe Valley Trail Run on Saturday. Then I need to get into double figures on Sunday if I'm for doing Larne.

08/02/2013 at 10:16
I missed the rain too, but it was freezing last night Kenny, keep up the good work those double figures are just around the corner
08/02/2013 at 12:07
Good running everyone. Got 6 in last night hoping it might flush out lt cold which just started yesterday pm. Feeling bit cheesed off as I've 16 miler tomorrow. Plan to get it done but may need to be careful with pace.
08/02/2013 at 12:10
Kenny good luck with Roe Valley gonna miss it this year - trainng more & racing less. Fair play to Andy at parkrun 24 hours of beach running. I'll probably join him for a few miles during the day or night.
08/02/2013 at 13:10

Kenny looking forward to seeing you at the Roe Valley, first time there for me.

Ricky, if you're keen on a track finish the Les Jones 10k in May starts and finishes on the MPT as well (with a couple of tough climbs in between ).

08/02/2013 at 14:48

No probs Alwyn - will text you later on..

HMM - just got shot of my cold - trained on with it but it went to my chest and had to take 5 days off last week. Take it easy!

Paul that 10K sounds good - come to think of it I've never done a 10k so might be a good one to do.

10/02/2013 at 17:07
Cheers Alwyn - enjoyed the run this morn.... you are a great splashguard big guy lol!

We did 17.5 mls @ 9.22 pace - a porridge, bagels & honey breakfast saw me through this time. A great relief to put the last 'bonk' behind me - it was a good learning curve about the importance of fuelling & hydration though!
Edited: 10/02/2013 at 17:09
10/02/2013 at 21:47
Nice running lads , no running this weekend , caught up in a maelstrom of terrible rugby , (Alwyn will sympathise), Ulster beaten on Friday, both my sons schools cup teams beaten on Saturday , just back from the Aviva after getting stuffed by England, in fact the only win I witnessed was my 10yr olds mini rugby on Saturday morning,right, rugby rant over, back to training tomorrow , looking to get 14 or 16 done
11/02/2013 at 12:56

Not a good weekend then Martin I hope you run today gets it out of the system.

We had a good turnout at Roe Valley with 98 runners completing the 8K course. it was a bit muddy in places with all the rain and snow of the last couple of weeks taking it's toal. I hope you enjoyed it Paul.

i didn't make it out yesterday as I took a stomach bug on Saturday evening so I'm still waiting to make it into double figures.

11/02/2013 at 15:14

Agree about the rubbish rugby weekend, Martin! My sporting weekend was saved by Coleraine's last minute winner at Ballymena in the Irish Cup!

Good if very wet run with Ricky yesterday - though instead of feeling fresh after not running since the previous Sunday, my legs felt pretty heavy in the last 3-4 miles. Still feeling the ab-strain but have decided this morning, I just need to man-up and get back to a proper training schedule for the Half-mara series!!

That's a very good turnout , Kenny. When my golf was cancelled Saturday morning and the football at Ballymena was looking unlikely to get the go-ahead, I was wishing I could have been at Roe Valley. You're not having much luck with niggles and illness, Kenny. Maybe we need to take a leaf out of Ricky's book with regards to superstitions - he actually sought out a telegraph pole at one stage yesterday in order to 'touch wood', having commented on his current injury-free experience!! 

11/02/2013 at 16:06

Kenny your having a terrible run of things at the minute ,I hope things pick up for you soon.

Alwyn , atleast Coleraine saved your weekend, that was a good run out at a good pace despite the terrible weather , heading out for my long run later , freezing out there but atleast its not raining (looks for telegraph pole)

11/02/2013 at 16:15

Yes Kenny, I really enjoyed the run, well worth the journey.  Thanks to you and your team for the day, organisation was superb.  I had been told about the hill but didn't realise that I would have to do it three times!  I'm just glad I brought an old pair of shoes for the mud. 

11/02/2013 at 17:09

Kenny, as useual Springwell lay on another great event thankyou from Ballymena Runners and personally me  and my family who were up supprting.

11/02/2013 at 22:13

Alwyn it could be worse - you could be a Liverpool supporter... pants well & truly pulled down by WBA at Anfield this evening.

Well done to all the hardy XC men @ Roe Valley.

Hope the LSR went well Martin - u hopefully got a dry one.

Did a slow 3ml recovery run on the treadmill this evening ... never done one of these before having always preferred to take a rest day after LSR so kind of an experiment for me. Will see how I feel in comparison tomorrow when back into the first speed session of the week.

11/02/2013 at 23:32
Ricky, Liverpool undone by Norn-Irish double act: Brunt corner powered in by GarethMcAuley. (Big G from Larne played for ColeraineFC!)
Sorry to hijack forum with ColeraineFC trivia but buzzin at our result in Dublin tonight, beating Shamrock Rovers!!

Hope your treadmill recovery run flushed out your muscles. I did a bit earlier on a spin bike and Concept2 rower. Think I'm going to try club session tomorrow night and see how injury responds!

My wife has mentioned she's going to start yoga class again. I keep reading it's good for runners - anyone practising it regularly?
11/02/2013 at 23:58
16 miles done , dry conditions , first 14 great, last 2 ,legs burning,big drop in temperature which caused me to cool down too quick so that was a bit miserable,ah well onwards and upwards
12/02/2013 at 11:51

Alwyn I would do pilates regularly and would swear by it. Not quite the same as yoga(some similar concepts) but very beneficial to running none the less. Both would be very good at making the body a bit more tolerant to the mileage we would do.

Might do a parkrun this saturday and see where the legs are at then stormont next week. Hearing stories that stormont might not be fit for it mind you. Anyone on the inside know of what the story is with the ground there?

12/02/2013 at 16:31
IMPORTANT NOTICE CONCERNING STORMONT CROSS COUNTRY RACES, SATURDAY 23 FEBRUARY

Due to the prolonged wet weather this years course will be confined to trails and will not be run on grass.

The trails are made up of a range of surfaces including bark chip, hard core and tarmac.

Runners are advised that spikes should not be worn. Trainers or trail shoes would be most appropriate.

The event will go ahead this year as planned apart from this inescapable change to the course. We hope you understand and that it will not affect your attendance or enjoyment on the day.

Yours in sport

Arron Wright

Communications Officer

NICS Athletics.
12/02/2013 at 16:32
That's from the Newry city runners site.
12/02/2013 at 19:23
Nice 16 miler Martin - great to get the long ones in the bag .

Recovery run seemed certainly to do me no harm last night. Did my Tuesday tempo session this evening over my 6 mile out & back route and ran it sub 47mins for the first time since returning to running - even with running the first mile as a slow warm up. Another little bit of progress.

1st mile 8.28 pace, last 5 miles 7.41 pace

Alwyn - your speed session at the club tonight will either make you or break you! Coleraine having a good little run!
18,181 to 18,200 of 20,294 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.