Northern Ireland Running

18,261 to 18,280 of 20,196 messages
24/02/2013 at 22:12

Plenty going on with you there TG & Good stuff Kenny - it's all about getting them done.

Martin - I see we almost have matching race no's for Larne - 467 & 567.... bit like his & hers number plates

24/02/2013 at 22:47
What can I say Ricky ,across a crowded ballroom.................etc
24/02/2013 at 23:52
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy150/pointgaa/487273_10151417010157860_1169582503_n_zpsa09e63cb.jpg

feel free to register prior to the event there is a link from our website to register at www.killowenfundraising.com
Edited: 24/02/2013 at 23:56
25/02/2013 at 23:59
Kenny / Ricky , nice crowd gathering for Larne , getting excited

Kenny, reading back to the start of this forum makes fantastic reading , like a portal of Northern Ireland that not a lot of people see , the chronogical history of the Belfast Marathon alone is fascinating, Gatorade and Terrorism, the start up of many races,it's fantastic , I think there's a book there Kenny
3 questions ?
Is that the same Jim Moore posting since 2005 ?
What happened to the fella who started this, he seemed to disappear about 2005 ?
Are you Dorian Gray ? , You look fresher now
26/02/2013 at 09:44

I fancy doing the Belfast to Lisburn Tow path and back this week as a 20miler. I know a lot of you are from Belfast direction, which I am not. Can any of you tell me if starting at Cutters Wharf would get me the full 10 out to Lisburn, or do I need to start further into the town?

26/02/2013 at 09:54
11 miles from Cutters to Lisburn civic centre on the towpath ,it's a lovely run enjoy
26/02/2013 at 10:12

Martin - James the guy who started the forum moved across from London with my neice and was into running at the time. He was going well but being young and fit he got tempted into team sport. He's into photography now and has a young family so doesn't have the same free time. A lot of people have come and gone over the years some who have stoped posting still keep and eye on the forum. I have made many friends through the forum and it's always good to catch up when we meet at races.

There is only the one Jim Moore.

TLH it leave it up to the Belfast gang to help you.

Good spell of weather for running. I had a good interval session with my beginners group last night. Hill session tonight will be yough going.

26/02/2013 at 10:35
Kenny what can I say
26/02/2013 at 10:43

Martin yes the same Jim Moore,this fourm was and still is a great place for imformation as Kenny said lot of posters have come and gone but most are still running . I always check the fourm most days but dont post as much as i used to 

Ran a nice easy 6 miles last night,half of it before it got dark great to see the clear nights coming again

26/02/2013 at 11:47

Jim what can I say

26/02/2013 at 16:47
4 miles home from work ,steady incline the whole way , 31 mins , great running weather , glad to get back out even just for a short run.
26/02/2013 at 17:06
Thanks Martin. Looks like that's Sunday morning sorted.
26/02/2013 at 17:12

Really interesting to hear the origins of this forum - have you been posting all this time Kenny?

In the time that I've been posting on here (just under 3 years) I've had met some brilliant support and encouragement from other forumites, especially as a new runner, and have been fotunate enough to meet most at some time or another

Like Jim I try and look on here regularly but don't post as much as I used to.  Now that I'm not running I don't have as much to contribute to the forum, although I am still interested in how everyone else is getting on.

The Waterworks parkrun is my main focus now and I'm thoroughly enjoying my role there.  It's a great opportunity to meet people new to running and I've witnessed people doing their first 5k at the parkrun and progressing as far as a full marathon.

Thankfully the Civil Service cross country went ahead (albeit as a trail run) and there were only a little few hitches.  TG - you're very welcome for the shortbread by the way.  Unfortunately we are unable to provide refreshments after the cross country so I feel that the least I can do is provide some unofficial shortbread to go with the coffee that people have to pay for.

I'm hoping to get to Glenarrif on the 16th to help with the mountain race, so might see some of you there.

26/02/2013 at 17:31

TLH, it's one of my favourite runs! Did the Lisburn Civic Centre - Cutters Wharf return for my longest pre-Dublin training runs. As Martin says, 11 miles - though to be pedantic or it may have been how my Garmin was measuring it, think I had to run a wee bit past Cutters and over (?) Governor's Bridge to bring up the full 11 miles?!

Agree with the comments that this Forum is a great source of info and for getting to know other runners - found my new LSR buddie on here!!

I've not been posting much recently - feeling a bit grumpy and frustrated with a niggling injury. After feeling very sore after 20m Sunday morning with Ricky W and agreeing I should probably seek further medical treatment (after GP check-up the other week ruled out a hernia), I let frustration get the better of me at lunchtime and joined my workmate on a tempo run! This is the same mate who is training like a madman (P&D 70m/wk schedule) as he targets sub-3hrs at VLM.
After a mile warm-up (8:10 pace), we ran 3m at avg. 6:55 pace before I cried enough, let him go and ran the last mile in 7:20. With the Half-Mara series start looming, I wanted to see how far off my target pace I felt. No doubt, I will know how wise a move it was when I wake up tomorrow and what my chances are for a couple of good weeks of increased intensity sessions!

Hope everyone keeps enjoying this decent spell of weather and it lasts for the weekend.

26/02/2013 at 19:00
Martin - looking forward to Larne also. Are you running with a target time in mind or are you just treating it as a training run for Belfast? Good tempo run for you earlier and all uphill too.. Good going.

I've only been on here for about 9 months - shortly after I took up running again. Great for keeping up to date with events etc and I also find it motivational reading about everyone's running tales! And of course this tortoise found his hare to chase on LSRs - Alwyn I'm getting to know your heels intimately

3 mls recovery treadmill last night - tempo session planned for later this evening once I get freed up.

Alwyn - good pace there from you on today's tempo run!
Edited: 26/02/2013 at 19:01
26/02/2013 at 19:59
Ricky would like to use Larne to work on my pace a bit , my fastest half last year was 2:01 and my marathon debut was 4:16 so as you can see not much change in pace over both distances , thinking possibly try and follow a pacer in larne and see how that goes, what's your plan ??
26/02/2013 at 21:54

Martin - yes I see what you mean - you marathon time suggests you have a much faster half in you. I think the 2hr pacer would be a little slow for you though  - maybe you should try the 1:45 pacer?

My initiaI thoughts are to start at 8 min miles with the hope I can push the pace a little as the race progresses... so I suppose my target is 1:45ish. I have never ran in a pacer group - preferring to do my own thing (usually consisting of starting off too fast and suffering for it big time later on!)... so based on that I might follow the 1:45 pacer for a while and see how I feel.

I have an MLR of 9 miles planned for tomorrow so intend to run some middle miles at what feels sustainable HM pace and will make a decision from there.

Just did a treadmill interval session tonight - 5 x 0.5mls @ 7.04 pace with 0.15ml recoveries @ 9.10 pace.... followed by 2 mls @ 8 m/mls. I find treadmill workouts much tougher than on the road - hard work!

26/02/2013 at 22:52
Might give 1:45 a go and when the backside falls out of that , the 2:00 group can pick me up

I know what u mean about the treadmill , u can't lie to it , if it says on the screen that's your pace then that's your pace , no shirking Ricky

Alwyn I think you're right about that distance , you can get away with nothing on this forum Though just talking about it has put me in the mood to run it again ,really like that run
27/02/2013 at 09:28

Yes Mags I joined the forum shortly after it was set up and have enjoyed the banter with the other runners. I always enjoy the build up to the marathons, although I can't run them anymore, as there is always plenty of activity and it great to hear everyone stories after the race.

Larne for me this year is just getting round my training hasn't been good but we have so many first timers who I have encouraged since they joined the club that I feel I have to give it a go.

Hill session last night was tough but I completed it and hope it gets me over that hill in Larne. Looking at the forecast it looks like this dry weather is going to last to the weekend.

27/02/2013 at 16:59

Is anyone targeting sub 1:40 as I would love to tag onto someone who could keep me on track? 1:45 pacer I hope will be a bit slow and I would be worried that I leave it too late to dip under 1.40 if I ran with them at Larne.

18,261 to 18,280 of 20,196 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.