Northern Ireland Running

18,481 to 18,500 of 20,212 messages
22/03/2013 at 13:33

Larne site updated at 1:00pm , no snow and race going ahead .

22/03/2013 at 14:52
Northern Ireland - Russia game inevitably called OFF. Now saying they're going to try for 3pm tomorrow so now I'm condemned to another waiting game. I know Larne AC updated at 1pm with a "still on" message. If they don't call it OFF later today then we go to bed expecting to run! I'm then faced with mad dash after the race to Belfast for the football although I suspect it will still fall foul of the weather tomorrow.
Uncertainty rules!!
22/03/2013 at 14:56

Decision, decisions Alwyn.

Snow still not lying up here on the North Coast. Not looking forward to the airport run later this evening.

22/03/2013 at 15:08

I'd say there was 3 inches of snow on the windscreen this morning Kenny so you're lucky. Belfast has been blizzarding all day though hasn't lay TOO much yet. Mainly slush - running could be fun tomorrow when that freezes

I really really hate snow....

22/03/2013 at 15:41

Falls parkrun cancelled tomorrow....

22/03/2013 at 16:28

The preparations for the 4th annual Easter Monday Miles For Muscles 10km race/walk and 5km family walk are well under way and with just over a week to go the Killowen Fundraising Group hope that all competitors are ready to put their best foot forward for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.
10KM RACE - £10 (CHIPPED EVENT)
10KM WALK/5KM FAMILY WALK -£5.00 PER ADULT / CHILDREN FREE
The event will start at 12 noon sharp. Online Registration is available now at http://www.killowenfundraising.com or on the day from 11am at the lower car park at Kilbroney Park. Please call Tracey at 079 734 32016 for more details.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy150/pointgaa/487273_10151417010157860_1169582503_n_zpsa09e63cb.jpg

22/03/2013 at 17:44
Rough would be an understatement of the weather.

No snow here but 15mins down the road 3 or 4 inches - appears to be very localised. Wind & sleet across the board though.

Just heard A8 into Larne at a standstill - so as previously said getting to the race might be more of a problem than running the race itself
22/03/2013 at 17:50

might go out now and bring a tent....no one else can get there.....podium for me....then again....maybe not!

22/03/2013 at 19:14
Wrap up well Mark, two hats, two pairs of gloves, shorts and tee shirt
Don't mind the snow or rain but the wind is a different thing.....
22/03/2013 at 20:18
Just had long chat with an experienced team mate who was due to car-share with me to Larne tomorrow. She and another Dromore runner who was travelling with us have decided not to run! These two are hardy regulars who never miss a race!!
Reasoning is that they ran Dundalk- Newry, they want to run Omagh and Larne in these conditions carries too large an injury risk (given they are both not feeling 100% after their DUNE exertions).

Given my interrupted training, chest infection (just cleared) and ongoing hip-flexor injury and now the advice of these two experienced club mates, I'm seriously wavering with my resolve to run!

I've a lot of sympathy for the race organisers and the difficult decision to postpone or not but have to say, I'm surprised by the announcement just now on the website to delay calling it till 8am. It appears their main safety consideration is the underfoot conditions (and maybe general road conditions for travelling to Larne). My biggest concern is the wind-chill factor and hypothermia danger.

Going to chat with Ricky, the 4th member of our original carload and make a decision before going to bed tonight!

What are others thinking?
22/03/2013 at 20:27
Just posted on the Larne Half website that its still on but a final decision will be made at 8am tomorrow morning. I feel sorry for everyone at the Larne club who every year put so much effort into this great race, it's a very difficult decision for them to take at the eleventh hour.
22/03/2013 at 20:47
Larne half has been called off till a later day.
22/03/2013 at 20:54
Larne OFF.

Difficult but I can't help but feel correct decision.

Hope organisers still get a good turnout for re-arranged date. I guess it won't be easy to find a new date?

Right, I'm off to enter Omagh now.
22/03/2013 at 21:03

Can't say I'm sorry (though sorry for Larne AC) - I was going for a time, and it wasn't going to happen in that weather!

22/03/2013 at 21:03

Grrrrrrrrrrrr - damn u weather

Right time to juggle things again - thinking switch LSR from next week to this Sunday (if weather has improved) and do Omagh next Saturday instead.

Omagh could have a record entry this year....

Feel for Larne AC - undoubted financial implications never mind all the hard efforts to organise by those involved. However I look forward to supporting them by running on the new date.... whenever that may be.

22/03/2013 at 21:51

Glad Larne has been called off so hopefully I can do the next date they have.

It's a shame it came to this but as a few people were saying - the longer you are out in that weather the more susceptible you will be to hypothermia etc and with that weather people will be taking a lot longer.

Alwyn if the half were on then the effort levels it would have taken would have been much greater than a normal half. Basically you'd be pushing your body a lot more and would be more susceptible to injury based on that. If you're fit enough likely not an issue but if on the edge of half marathon fitness it'd be tough.

So the plan was to run a half marathon and with being away for Omagh time it'll be ten miles less on wednesday!!

22/03/2013 at 21:58
Sorry guys , sitting in darkness as power has went out several times, wifi not working ,so using my blackberry , good decision for tomorrow but a real shame for larne ac and the whole organisation, travel from here would be a nightmare , I think Alwyn is right can't risk 1200 people converging on a town and some ill prepared for the wind/temp , not sure about omagh, decathlon in a couple of weeks maybe cos its not on a saturday, there's a 4:00 hour pacer training run on sunday might give that a go
22/03/2013 at 22:00

That's me in for Omagh next Saurday

Never done it before - I assume its flatter than Cookstown but hillier than Larne?

22/03/2013 at 22:01

Tough luck on Larne AC to have to cancel so late but this runner is relieved.  I wasn't keen on driving given the snow around here so I was going on the train which meant an early start.  It will be a struggle even to get to parkrun (if it's on).

22/03/2013 at 22:03
TG , probably gonna do Queens with my son , its a great run , did it last year and really enjoyed it
18,481 to 18,500 of 20,212 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.