Northern Ireland Running

18,521 to 18,540 of 20,346 messages
23/03/2013 at 23:11
Ricky . Yip will give Omagh a shot tight course but good to do aswell bring it on
24/03/2013 at 00:30
Never done Omagh before - A few hills then by the sounds of it? Similar to Cookstown?
24/03/2013 at 08:18

I am in Belfast but originally from Omagh so I went down this weekend to get a long run fitted in as part of the Belfast Marathon training.  Belfast's pavements were a mess and I did not want to even contemplate doing 18 miles on a treadmill .  The Omagh half has a some short hills but nothing in the league of Ards or the Hillborough Road at Lisburn.  I have did it a few times, infact I did it as part of my training run yesterday.  There are long inclines in some places which would be similar to the Antrim Road in Belfast but there are also a number of smaller sharp hills like you would see in the country roads if you have did Lisburn.  If anyone has did Ards Omagh should feel a nice run in comparison.  Personally I find going fast down the hills worse on my knees.

Edited: 24/03/2013 at 08:19
24/03/2013 at 09:46

I did a 6 mile out and back along the coast from the leisure centre yesterday, & I can 100% now say that it was the right decision calling the race off.  There is still no snow at all along the coast but the cold & gale force winds were shocking.  We would have had people ending up in hospital, some of the worse conditions I've run in along the coast!!  Now to try to get a long run done in similar today!!  Country roads are full of snow & coast road is baltic - don't think its going to happen this weekend!

24/03/2013 at 10:00

Cheers Indo - I have done Lisburn but not Ards.. Omagh sounds like a reasonably fast route then, great thanks for the info - looking forward to it.

For anyone that has done Omagh previously - where is best to park and is there shower facilties post-race?

24/03/2013 at 11:21
Ricky not sure about Omagh, sons due home from Austria on Saturday so it will clash , underfoot conditions still woeful here, so no running today again,booooo !

Heather, here's some smiley faces just for doing that run yesterday
24/03/2013 at 12:04

Ricky

There is free car parking at the leisure center but I would get there early.

24/03/2013 at 12:23
Just ran an hour on belfast tow path and belvoir forest. It's not too bad- more the puddles than the snow are the problem.
24/03/2013 at 13:37
TG , did toy with the idea of driving somewhere for a run , looked outside and there's a guy clearing my park with a digger so that was an omen that said very clearly "sit this one out big fella !!"
HMM
24/03/2013 at 13:57
Really great wee run with BCM first timers this morning. the original route Jim and myself planned was changed after we checked conditions. our 14 miler ended up pretty much snow free and we covered quite a bit of the BCM route. it was the longest most had ran and one guy had only done 10 before. The smiles and confidence with which they finished with is inspiring. That feeling of running the furthest you've ever done before is very powerful. Thanks to Jim for taking one runner back after 7 miles or so as she had flu and thought she had got over it.
24/03/2013 at 18:15
23 miles done today, legs feel like concrete! big shout to mags and her crew for brightening up my lsr,it was nice to meet ya.
24/03/2013 at 22:29

Glad to get out Saturday for my 16 mile run in Warrenpoint ,floods down here have been real bad but took the road to Newry and got my run in. On the last mile or so it snowed with the wind in my face but coming around the corner and seeing Narrow Water Castle just gave me that boost. Really starting to think hell I can do this Belfast Marathon now out on mon,wed,thurs nights and big runs on Saturday and feeling better all the time and looking forward to runing now each time think I have got the bug now. I look at posts here too and the advise and hearing on peoples runs etc really does help so thanks everyone. My 20 mile will be from the Kilbroney park in Rostrevor home of Youth Fest NI which I Co- Founded a free youth fest for tots - teens to the Southern Area Hospice in Newry. I am running on behalf of them both for my 40th Birthday Marathon. 

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy150/pointgaa/1226_4187506054785_728714551_n_zpse887ce16.jpg

25/03/2013 at 09:15

Some good running over the weekend despite the conditions.

We're very lucky up here in the North Coast to be snow free. I managed just over 9 miles yestyerday. The sun eas shining but it was very very cold. Wraped up well and at one staged felt I had too many layers on but once we turned into the wind I knew I had made the right decision. Nice run home with the wind on our backs for the last couple of miles.

25/03/2013 at 21:45

Kevin - good running on Saturday. Weather made it tough - I went out intending to run 22 in place of postponed Larne HM but called it a day after 18. That wind was tough.

Sounds like you are progressing well towards Belfast and for a great cause & milestone birthday too!

Sean - 23 miles was a great long run ... no wonder the legs are feeling it! You are in a good place for Belfast.

Kenny you are escaping the snow up there as are we in Moira - however 20 mins away in Dromara there are 10ft snow drifts! Good to see you are getting the miles in.

6 mile tempo session on the treadmill tonight for me - couldn't face the cold & the dark  

Edited: 25/03/2013 at 21:47
25/03/2013 at 22:11
13 miles in the gym tonight decided it had to be done , getting no outdoor running done around here , 13 miles in 2 degrees and hailstones just wasn't cutting it

Well done all you intrepid explorers who hit the roads over the weekend, excellent !
25/03/2013 at 22:26

Bloody hell Martin - 13 miles on a treadmill sounds like hell on earth! Fair play to you - scenery must have been *ahem* distracting....

25/03/2013 at 22:55
tommygunn wrote (see)
Ran jimmys myself yesterday. Good wee race- definitely a tough one. East down do a great job with this race.

Good to see leek, if he's still lurking, getting back towards his old self after injury.

Thought i was in better shape than my time but first race of year so something to build on.

Well done martin and great job as ever mags.
Thanks TG, a long, slow process getting back.
You ran well at Jimmy's, its not an easy course!!
Going to give Queens 5k a lash, looks like we'll be finishing in the dark, I thought it was always the week after the clocks went forward!

25/03/2013 at 22:55
Was trying for 20 Ricky but it was just too boring as for the scenery my treadmill was behind a guy who won the world body hair championships last year
25/03/2013 at 23:36

some miles being logged by everyone on here!  had the weekend off due to the weather so only got in a 45 min tempo on treadmill tonight...looking forward to queens 5k and hopefully a good long run on saturday if snow clears enough!

25/03/2013 at 23:40
Hopefully doing Queens myself Jason, not for any great time , I just enjoyed it last year , though I think Leeks right , could have swore it was after Titanic 10 k last year and it was a lovely sunny evening , ah well it will be good to get out
18,521 to 18,540 of 20,346 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.