Northern Ireland Running

18,921 to 18,940 of 20,246 messages
03/05/2013 at 14:45

Good luck to all you guys in the marathon on Monday.

I'm doing the Gideon's green to corporation street relay leg so hopefully will get to the finish in half decent time to see aa few clubmates come in.

03/05/2013 at 17:40

Thanks TG , enjoy the relay !

Ricky , best of luck for the weekend , give em hell and I look forward to hearing all about it

03/05/2013 at 20:02

Okay, first things first.  Good luck Ricky.  Hope you have a great run on Sunday and enjoy the rest of your break afterwards.  Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Good luck to everyone else doing Belfast, either a leg of the relay or the full. I am going to be at the finish line on Monday so will hopefully get a chance to congratulate you as you finish.  Prior to that I am going to be on the Athletics NI stand at the Expo (or free leaflet tent, as Martin calls it) tomorrow afternoon and Sunday.  If you do decide to venture in, come over and say hello.

Mark - and anyone else who is going to be out there supporting - please give runner 1413 a shout if you see him.  He doesn't have his name on his shirt but he is called Stuart and his proud Mum is going to be at the finish line so won't be able to cheer him along the route.

And for anyone suffering from 'Marathonitis', a little jog around the Waterworks at 9.30 tomorrow morning might be just what you need

03/05/2013 at 23:49

I'm off to Limerick in the morning so may not back online for a while....

Best of luck to all running Belfast - kinda wishing I was coming back on Sunday evening so I could turn up to support now!

04/05/2013 at 07:45

Good luck tomarrow ricky,all them hard winter miles gonna pay you back.look forward to the race/pb report

good luck every1 monday,cant believe its may already! Where did the time go?

04/05/2013 at 08:28

Picked up the pack yesterday, Postives - queues were better organised.  Negatives - Crap T-Shirt unfit for running in.  No Plasters!

At the expo I was done on £1 on the buy 5 gels for £4, I was already out of the tent before I realised.  I also got the impression the people selling me the gels thought I was an idiot and that I didn't know what they were used for.  My mate was about to get done as well but pointed out that it was a 5 for 4 offer.  I would recommend going to boots for the essentials (except the T-Shirt).

05/05/2013 at 03:14

Well done to anyone who did the Causeway Crossing events. The 50k for me had two particualrly challenging sections. The climb up out of the causeway on those chuffing steps and the return section along White Park Bay. Don't want to see a beach for a while again. The event was well supported with a surprising number of Americans entered.

It was well organised with good route markings and good aid stations. However it was disappointing there were no finishers goodie bags but simply a medal that doesn't even state the distance covered. Not up to the usual 26extreme standards!

05/05/2013 at 10:52

Well done, Smalleyboy. It's a tough course, my old joints are grumbling a bit this morning. I enjoyed it but agree with you about it not quite being up to the usual 26Extreme standards. The finish at Larrybane quarry was a bit empty and desolate, and I really missed celebrating with an Erdinger beer. I didn't get a medal, just a Lost Worlds buff which my wee daughter has liberated to play Spiderman.

There were a lot of Americans there. Good to see them. But what about Jonny Steede! I was at the finish when he came in at the end of the 100k after only 8hrs.35mins, and he looked as if he could go out and do it again. Given the international level of ultra runners there, it was good to see it won by an unassuming local runner.

Excellent coverage, as always, by Ryan & Justin of NI Running. It was a long stand for them in the cold but they have produced a prompt, comprehensive report on http://www.nirunning.co.uk/news. I heard from one of the 100k runners that they gave out news feeds through the day, which was really appreciated. At events like this, you can otherwise feel quite isolated during the race.

All the best to those taking part in the marathon tomorrow. It looks like the weather will be perfect for it this year. Hope you enjoy it and get the result you deserve after all the training.

05/05/2013 at 11:10

well done smalleyboy and Paul B. I finished the 50 in one piece yesterday in 5.41and more importantly smiling. It was brilliant, a completely different experience to a regular marathon. Can't comment n the organisation, as I've nothing to compare it to. however i was a bit disapointed with the finish, it didn't really feel like an event. i was glad to have the husband there to cheer me in, or else i would have felt pretty unloved, lol.

It was amazing scenery, but the wind was terrifying at times and for the first 15miles was lije running into a wall. There was a couple of times I had to stop completley and hold on to a fence, in fear of my scrawny ass getting blown over the edge.

I was wondering which faces in the crowd you both were. Everyone on the start line looked so "hardcore". 

05/05/2013 at 11:22

That was a brilliant time, Littlest Hobo. The wind was even worse last October. I was only doing the 25k but we must have finished at around the same time. I was wearing a black Half Ireman gilet and definitely didn't look hardcore.

05/05/2013 at 11:33

I managed to complete the 50k in 5:21 which I was pleased about. There were updates on Twitter throughout the day by @talkultra which were good. Johny Steede finished nearly 3 full hours ahead of the second place runner.

Plenty of Americans there which was good as they bulked up the numbers a bit. The finish was a let down and definately not upto the normal 26extreme effort. I think the 100k runners got a gold lost worlds medal, the 50k a silver medal and the 25k got a buff.

I did the Mourne half marathon the first year it was run and I will give the full mara a go next month. 

05/05/2013 at 11:43

Great stuff smalley, Paul and littest. Would really like to try that sort of distance,maybe    Give it ago next year, well done!

05/05/2013 at 11:51

Well done to all who ran yesterday. Fantastic time by Jonny Steede.

12 tough miles done this morning. I went out a bit fast and suffered over the last couple of miles. But it's hard to hold back when your feeling good.

Good luck to all running the marathon and the relay tomorrow and don't do what I did today and go too quick too soon.

05/05/2013 at 12:58

Littlest that was a good time you ran. Well done Paul. My legs don't feel as bad as I was expecting.

Funniest moment for me was when I blew my nose a bit too hard and it started to bleed. I was approaching the Causeway Centre and some tourist said 'Is that blood on your face?' To which I could help but reply with 'Yes and the sweat and tears are on their way'.

I would strongly encourage everyone to give one of the 26extreme events a go. They are only as hard as you want to make them. 

05/05/2013 at 14:57

Guys respect for the causeway events yesterday - you are made of stern stuff !

no PB for me at Limerick this morning but ran 3:47 which I was happy enuff with. Windy but the heat was a bigger factor for me and I blew up on the last 10k running a 5 min positive split.

great event though - highlight was the wall of noise finishing in o'connell st and my 5 year old finishing hand in hand with me. All a bit emotional really!

all the best for everyone running Belfast tomorrow - I'm off to the hotel spa& jacuzzi now

05/05/2013 at 15:19

Well done Ricky. We have had very little chance to train in the heat this year.

HMM
05/05/2013 at 15:59

Welk done Ricky - the heat can be cruel.   The memories of running with your young one are priceless for both of you.   I understand that powerful emotion.   Sometimes I think I would pb if my boys could run the last 10k with me.

Well done C'way Crossers.  Never easy up there.   Manned the aid station at Portballintrae for hour or so. Had privilege of catching up with Jonny at mile 48 and he stopped to pose for a couple of photos with my 2 young boys.   Great run from great guy.

See many of you tomorrow especially Kenny who normally has sweet treats around mile 22

05/05/2013 at 17:55

anyone having any luck getting a refund on their Larne half fees?

05/05/2013 at 17:58

....and does the Nery half/full really start at 8am?

Newry City Marathon 2013 Newry Sports Centre

26 May 2013 » 26 May 2013

Start time: 8am

05/05/2013 at 20:07

Mark - i think the times for Newry are 9 for the full marathon and 9.30 for the half.

Ran 13 miles today - it was very tough and various aches and pains throughout really didnt help! I got a real pain in my left hip the same happened last week as well but this week it was sore again. Any ideas what it could be?

Good luck to everyone running the marathon tomorrow as a relative newbie to longer distance running you all have my full admiration. As i was nearing the end of my run today I was thinking how the hell could i run another 13 miles of this!! Good luck to all and enjoy if possible!

18,921 to 18,940 of 20,246 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.