Northern Ireland Running

19,001 to 19,020 of 20,259 messages
14/05/2013 at 15:30

David if your aim is just to complte the ultra then 50-60 miles a week is more enough.A few things I would try would be to try back to back long run to get used to running on tired legs, practise eating when running, inclued walk breaks. I also would max my long slow runs at say 24 miles, when i started going further than marathon distance for my first ultra i started getting injured , Good luck 

HMM
14/05/2013 at 15:33

David if you are aiming to just finish then my approach has been to do nirmal marathon training and a bit of offroad stuff to build endurance.   If you wish to race it hard then back to back long runs would be normal.  How many marathons have you completed?

14/05/2013 at 15:33

David , sorry cant help you with that one , but good luck , plenty of good people on here to advise you and I'd be interested to hear what sort of training you should be doing.

Ricky , not sure if your still contemplating the Les Jones , good news is you run down the brutal hill at the beginning ,along the towpath to shaws bridge and back through Barnetts Demesne to Mary Peters, last bit should be undulating but not sickening

14/05/2013 at 15:39

Many tthanks jim

ive done a few back to backs of 30 and then 18 but worried if its to little or to mdon't any ideas on running back packs

14/05/2013 at 15:43

Hi I have done two marathons 1st one last year at BCM at 3.36 and last BCM didn't app the heat and it was a hard 3.52 

HMM
14/05/2013 at 18:23

Thats a good back to back David.   If you are local try to run on the course a few times to reduce surprises on the day.   I cant say too much about road ultras as mine have been offroad I know Jim has done both types.  

14/05/2013 at 19:11

Thats great it's so encourageing I really appreacte all the feed back must people just go oh then look at you as if you are kind of mad ell maybe a bit mad so thanks again

14/05/2013 at 20:47

Good luck with your ultra training David. I haven't done one so I can't help. I was told at the weekend that if you can see the top of the hill you walk and refuel and conserve your energy for the down hills.

5K done tonight. I was measuring out the Purple Ladies course for tomorrow night. The quads are still tight after Sunday.

14/05/2013 at 20:53

Martin - I'll be giving Les Jones a miss... I'm still carrying an injury from Limerick.... a bit of groin strain afterwards which disappeared within a week and I thought that was an end to it. However it has manifested itself again during last nights run and felt quite uncomfortable immediately afterwards. Need to rest up a while 

14/05/2013 at 21:30

Paul OH - congratulations on your 50th parkrun.  All of them done at the Waterworks.  Your T-shirt will be dispatched in the next few weeks and hopefully I'll be back from holiday to do the honours.

Kenny, looking forward to seeing you tomorrow night.  I've had to change my travel arrangements at short notice so will be travelling up with ladies from Lagan Valley/East Antrim Harriers.  Might be there a bit later than originally anticipated but will definitely be there.

Will see those of you doing the Les Jones on Friday.

14/05/2013 at 22:10

Ricky, sorry to hear about the injury , take it easy Theres plenty more runs

kenny,good luck with 2moro.

mags see you Friday .

14/05/2013 at 22:43

paul oh as far as i know the race pack for WCM cam be collected in foyleside shopping centre on the thur,fri or sat before the race seemingly there will be notification in the post regarding all of that stuff. 

15/05/2013 at 14:38

Right now , a week has passed so its time for my opinion,albeit a humble one,on the Belfast Marathon

Overall I enjoyed it , only have Dublin as a comparison , check me out after WCM. The new route around Clonard and Mayo St worked well and didnt feel like an add on, I would have hated to do the out and back bit in the Ormeau Pk of old.

Bridgend St at 1st relay point was a cattle market and I ran into several spectators who ran infront of me , the rest was ok up to the Whitewell , very well supported but for some reason I found the downhill part of the course the hardest !

Gideons Green into town has got to be one of the most monotonous routes i've ever run (trained on it a few times) and seemed to be the place where a lot of wheels came off, lots of walkers and injurys

Corporation St was desolate but had some very understanding lorry drivers The bit round Clarendon Dock ???? COBBLESTONES???? I've just ran 20 miles !! The bit up the side of Hilton carpark and under that grotty bridge at Central station , man dear !!

I loved the run up the river and the roar of the crowds in the distance was fantastic ,the route to the finish was great and the finish itself was fantastic , made better by receiving my medal from Mags

I thought it was very well organised and would do it again , I have one reservation which I dont have enough experience of , Dublin had no relays , fun runners etc , This marathon( Belfast) is a fantastic platform for all charities but I did find it hard to focus at times when fresh legs were lapping me or people were joining me and complaining after 5 mins that they were never gonna make it or the guys on the lash the night before who were gonna "knock this out" only to be found 2 miles further on chucking their guts up !!

In summation I would do it again , relay groups added to the buzz at start line but juries out on me wanting to run with so many , or alternatively I could "knock out" a leg of the relay next year but for any of you who have witnessed me running "knock out" arent the first words that come to mind

15/05/2013 at 17:02

Martin, I feel all marathon runners would totally agree with your report but the BCM team will not change the course or the relay. The only other point raised to me was that 9 mile walkers received a medal exact same as our finishers medals, not sure that went down too well

I will be very interested to see the 1/2 marathon turnout and support and how tough it is.

15/05/2013 at 17:07

I did the 4th leg in the relay this year and have to say I thought it was pretty grim and wouldn't wish it on anyone in a full marathon. My overriding feeling was that if I ever go to marathon distance which I will at some point I won't be doing it in Belfast.

Apparently newtonabbey council give them a lot of money to go out there.

It's not a bad marathon but could be so much better.

Edinburgh has relay runners as well I think - anyone experience of them?

My view as a relay runner was don't get in the way of people doing the full thing and don't take water as people doing the full thing need it more.

Edited: 15/05/2013 at 17:09
15/05/2013 at 17:33

TG, I did the Edinburgh marathon 2 years ago, but didn't really notice the relay runners. I think they started behind us, and that their change over points were discretely positioned away from the road. I don't think the relay is so popular in Edinburgh as the organisers provide 5k and 10k races on the Saturday, and a half marathon on the Sunday starting 2 hours before the marathon. So people have other options to choose as well as the relay.

You're very considerate as a relay runner. I wish more were like you.

15/05/2013 at 17:59

A marathon is hard enough without people who aren't even doing the thing being ignorant Paul.

Yeah I only noticed this year Edinburgh weekend was a "festival" of running. Great idea I have to say.

I know a lot of people who avoid Belfast due to the route. I think it's improved a lot but still a bit of scope - e.g. pacers etc good initiative. Up to the people in charge to want to improve it too.

15/05/2013 at 19:49

TG your very considerate , in saying that , the girl I trampled in Bridge St was going to congratulate her dad on the first leg of the relay and all he could say was " get outta that fellas way he's trying to run a marathon " So thankfully your not on your own !

John, I'm glad I didn't know about the walkers

15/05/2013 at 20:29

This years Belfast marathon was my first so I have no experience of running one without relay runners but seeing someone cruise past me 22 miles into the race looking as fresh as a daisy is a bit demoralising!

On the other hand I did have to laugh at a guy I passed who was doing the first leg of the the relay, they were walking about 1 1/2 miles into the marathon. I assume he must have gone out very fast and suffered about a mile in. 

15/05/2013 at 21:35

HdB , exactly , there's good and bad , and if you can laugh aswell that's always a bonus

19,001 to 19,020 of 20,259 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.