Northern Ireland Running

19,081 to 19,100 of 20,350 messages
27/05/2013 at 10:10

Alwyn well done on your HM PB and good running everyone else. Your half marathon PB is now a few minutes quicker than mine.

Kenny I've had that issue before. Stretch the glutes as much as you can as that will relieve it a lot. A tennis ball and using it on the glutes can be useful. Check out piriformis stretches which should help.

27/05/2013 at 11:32

my view of the half marathon for what it was worth!...thought the course was brilliant, even the lap of the square at the start, and then out into the countryside via the towpath and blocked off carriageway right up to the unexpected hill square and then back along the towpath back to the finishline.

The water was in bottles which was a welcome thing...but one this that does piss me off is those that drop the bottle at their feet skip over and leave them in the path of other runners...ALSO those who think they have to launch the bottles like inter ballistic missiles over hedges/ across rivers into neighbouring fields....can imagine farmers being pissed off with the hassle of a race along their area and the  traffic hassle this causes only to be exasperated by finding bottles for months to come on their land...a simple drop at the side of the path makes it easier for everyone..

The medal was small and really nice...the finish line had a big event about it...cheering crowds and as much chocolate/crisps/milk/water bananas and fredo frogs you could fill your face with!  

The cotton/tech t shirt debate continues. I think the cost might be a factor but maybe the sponsors think a tech will be worn on the day of the rest of the time never seen....whereas the cotton one may be worn out and about when not racing?....whatever the reasons I'd never recommend it...seem some in them yesterday and they were totally covered in sweat...must have added lbs to the runner..I did see some folk having to drop out and someone being attended to by firefighters who had come out to encourage the runners.

I'd definitely do it again as the infrastructure was great....re the marathon...a couple of us headed off for a meal and then headed back and the place was deserted as the marathoners came to the end of their run..I took a pile of pics that I was able to match up with facebook names and send on...we stood alone clapping and encouraging the runners and they seemed to appreciate the lone voices in the Newry wilderness that was the home straight!!

27/05/2013 at 17:22

Mark, good on ya coming back after your nosh to cheer on the marathoners. I had to get back unfortunately or would have seen you there.

I know the T-shirt issue has been debated oft before but, if given the choice, I'm thinking most regular race entrants would forego for a cheaper race fee. I've already 2 drawers full of running tops and, quite frankly, even the 'technical' tees I've collected (the ubiquitous Starworld brand) aren't exactly brilliant. I accept this may be a somewhat selfish opinion that excludes the one-off runners who want a momento of their achievement. There is also the point you made about sponsors' advertising though what value multiple small logos on the back of a shirt? Anyway, at risk of boring everyone, it's "forget the t-shirts" for me!

ps. Mark, I'm assuming you were very content with coming in 5mins under your target?!

Edited: 27/05/2013 at 17:25
27/05/2013 at 19:03

Alwyn...always delighted to get under a 2hours...but yet again nothing left in the tank at the end!!

28/05/2013 at 13:29

Martin, I saw that programme on Friday too, definitely a good thing to see some of the route.  Also, I didn't know that it is an 8.30 start (I thought 9.00!)  I'm slow enough without giving everyone else a half-hour start.

28/05/2013 at 13:41

Paul, check their website the roads to the start line are closed from 7:30am , no parking out there unless you had the presence of mind to book into the Everglades, buses from Foyleside centre from 6:00am   A nice early start allright , im wondering if I headed out about 6:30am would they let me start then , get a bit of a head start

28/05/2013 at 14:02

Paul I think it was to start at 9.00 but it was moved forward as there is a gaelic match in Derry on Sunday. I'm hoping to make it up for the finish too early to make it for the start.

28/05/2013 at 21:12

Great running in Newry guys - congrats on all those PB's. A warm mornings work by all accounts which makes the PB's all the more impressive!.

I have been in Castleward for the Bank Hol weekend and ran 10.5 miles before we left this morning around the numerous trails & single tracks. Not my fastest ever run but incredibly enjoyable - scenery & wildlife fantastic. Even included a close encounter with a Bull when running across open farmland!

Has me thinking that the Castleward Half Marathon or 10k is a must do next year.

So WCM up next in Stroke City - at least the early start will help if it turns out to be warm day? Good luck Martin & Paul OH ... anyone else from here running?

29/05/2013 at 11:10

running W.C.M myself ricky, nerves are kicking in now, looking forward to it, looks like the weather will be ideal (so far). good luck to all running it! 

29/05/2013 at 15:33

Physio today. He is happy with how things are progressing. He massaged my back today with his feet. He said he can get in deeper with them so I think I'll be sore tomorrow. He's not keen on me doing Larne so I'll have to wait and see.

29/05/2013 at 15:55

Kenny , I had a deep tissue massage after BCM to try and get back into shape quicker for WCM, it was brutal , she used a big stone , but I was fantastic a day or so after and really felt the benefits so I hope your the same

Good man Ray, sure what else would you be doing at 6am on a Sunday ??

29/05/2013 at 22:39

Kenny,

I can also give thumbs-up to the deep massage with the foot - my physio (female, I guess weighing about 10st) used to stand on my back and use the heel of her foot!

As regards your physio not being keen on your Larne participation - my physio said she could never recommend anyone running for more than 40 minutes!!

29/05/2013 at 22:57

Kenny i had that injury two years ago It's not that it's a terrible injury but if it gets really tight, which could potentially happen, then it pushes against the nerve and is agony. Simple things like turning over in bed become agony. It's one to be careful with more for day to day life than running.

Not sure about these physios and their feet. The worst i have got is the elbow!

29/05/2013 at 23:36

3 easy miles just to keep things ticking over tonight so that's it rest time

31/05/2013 at 13:21

Anyone get any joy with Larne and getting the money back or deferred entry?

I see the web-site says no refunds.

31/05/2013 at 13:41

TG, Yes I contacted Larne AC and explained my circumstances , email F.A.O John Anderson, received my refund in the post a couple of weeks back

31/05/2013 at 16:07

Thanks Martin.

My circumstances are that earlier in the year it was my target and now it no longer is as the plan was half marathon and then shorter stuff. That may be slightly different from your circumstances and they may not be as forgiving! There are some god races on next Wednesday night and I'd rather do them than a half at present.

31/05/2013 at 17:10

TG, Mark got his back aswell and he just changed to a preferred race ,fire a quick email off to them I think its reasonable that it is going to clash with some peoples planned races so there has to be some flexibility

31/05/2013 at 20:01

Thats 100% Martin...I had always planned for the Mourne Half to be my 'A' race this year..

01/06/2013 at 08:36

Heading up north shortly to get my race pack, best of luck to everyone running WCM in the morning , Jim and Hmm best of luck getting that new group of marathoners over the finish line

19,081 to 19,100 of 20,350 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.