Northern Ireland Running

19,101 to 19,120 of 20,196 messages
01/06/2013 at 13:08

Good luck to all you guys running derry.

01/06/2013 at 14:45

Good luck tomorrow folks,looking forward to the race reports

01/06/2013 at 22:13

Good luck Ray, Martin, Paul and anyone else running WCM tomorrow!

Edited: 01/06/2013 at 22:14
02/06/2013 at 12:29

Great weather for the WCM this morning. I hope it went well.

Over in Scotland, there is a long distance triathlon organised by the Rat Race adventure sports company on this weekend. But this is one with a difference: the marathon run at the end goes over the top of Ben Nevis. One of our forumites, DS, was doing the 'expert triathlon' yesterday, which imeant doing the full race in one day. The swim was in the Firth of Forth at Edinburgh although it was shortened to 1.2km due to the unusually low water temperature. The cycle was the full distance of 180km from Edinburgh up to Glencoe, which yesterday was a particularly hard slog in wet and windy conditions.After that it was the run over to Ben Nevis, up to 4000m (not quite the summit as that was under a blizzard last night), then back down to Glen Nevis and the finish.  DS crossed the finish just after 1.00am, a tremendous achievement.

02/06/2013 at 13:21

Tremendous doesn't even start to describe that achievement! I feel exhausted just reading that. Respect to that man!

02/06/2013 at 20:51

Hats off to that man is right !!

WCM was fantastic today, in my humble opinion I found it a quite tough hilly course,so no PB to be had for me, but 4 weeks after Belfast I was quite pleased with my 4:19, great group of runners today , good craic, support from the people of Derry was quite humbling and very funny at times, great atmosphere coming into Guildhall Square , the flute band out playing for the runners and free Derry corner temporarily saying " you are now entering the last leg of the walled city marathon" summed up a city that was warm and welcoming, even when I finished and took the children for lunch people just came up randomly to ask how I got on, well organised and a great experience

Jim, nice to finally meet you today, hope you had a good one and got all your flock home

Followed the 4 hr pace group for 17 miles then the hills really kicked in and that was me , Kenny if your speaking to Chris Denton tell him he's a fantastic pacer and one day I hope to go the distance

02/06/2013 at 20:54

PS : cool tech top and by far the largest heaviest  cool medal I have ever received

02/06/2013 at 21:21

Very well done Martin - sounds like a great event! Saw some coverage on the evening news earlier.

02/06/2013 at 22:42

Cheers Ricky

03/06/2013 at 10:11

Just back from another visit to the physio so Larne is out for me. I'm getting there but not as quick as I'd like. I had more or less decided this myself over the weekend as I tried a short jog and was still in pain. But you always hope you go to bed and get up pain free. Plenty of other races during the summer.

Great day at the WCM yesterday great atmosphere in round the finish. Super medals. Weather was probably perfect for watching and running.

03/06/2013 at 11:23

Martin I pass your message onto Chris. The pacers did an excellent job yesterday. I was at the finish and they all brought their runners in on time.

HMM
03/06/2013 at 12:45

Kenny who was the Springwell lad I roared at to stop walking with a mile or so to go.  Think he came in a minute or so ahesd if Jim and myself.  Martin my mate Glenn was pacing with Chris.   Did he stop to fix his hair along course lol

03/06/2013 at 13:37

Great day out at the WCM glad i was pacing as that would of been a tough course to chase a time.The atmosphere was different to most marathon I have but in a good way.Loved the bit where we went down through a new housing development and it seem everyone that lived there was out watching and they had made a effort to have food and drinks out music playing.One house even had a sign up saying you could use their toilet  ( have they never smelt marathon runners i was thinking as we run past ).Loved the we short but steep hill in the last mile

Martin good to meet you and well done that's a good time on that course.

I don't know Tommy Hugues but what a man to come back and win a race 28 years later is unbelievable when you think about it   

03/06/2013 at 14:07

Jim at the last wee hill someone in the crowd must have read my thoughts as I mentally slowed down because he shouted " Martin don't walk now all the girls are watching", I had a good laugh and ran up the hill

Hmm I was running with Glenn on the way back over the Craigavon bridge a very nice big fella and I'm glad to report that not a hair was out of place at that stage

03/06/2013 at 15:42

Great stuff Martin, well done.  Yes, a good day all round on a tough enough course.  Good buzz among the runners at the start and it was nice to see a close-up of the leaders as they headed back past us early on.  The support in parts of the city was fantastic. Having our names printed on our numbers was a nice touch and lots of spectators were calling out all the names. Jim & HMM passed me at 23 miles.  The uphill stretch at 16 was hard going, I definitely lost any rhythm at that stage, and the last bit was tough with the hill(!) and the seemingly endless roundabout route to the finish for a time of 4:33.  Wouldn't be surprised if anyone collapsed under the weight of the medal.

03/06/2013 at 16:13

Paul well done !! You picked out exactly the same areas that I had problems with glad I wasn't on my own , my children took it in turns to wear the medal home fearing their father would cave under the weight

03/06/2013 at 16:51

Martin/Paul,

Well Done on your WCM runs! Sounds like a toughie but with plenty of vocal encouragement and a great event. Belfast may need to up their game if Derry/Londonderry makes another bid for the attention of the local Spring marathoners!

My mate who made his marathon debut with me in Dublin last year ran WCM. He had run 03:00:42 in London but he assessed his 03:01:32 on Sunday as a bigger achievement. Also partly as he was carrying an injury from 10 days out - Ricky & I will take some credit for accompanying him on his final training run last Thurs night!

The achievements of all the marathoners have me fired up for my second attempt at the distance in Dublin. Just the next 3 HM Series races and a holiday step-back in mileage before marathon training begins in earnest in late July! 

Kenny, sorry to hear your run of injuries continues to frustrate you . . .  although never seems to rob you entirely of your positive outlook - as much an inspiration as the achievements reported on here! 

Edited: 03/06/2013 at 20:14
D S
04/06/2013 at 21:06

Well done to all at the WCM - sounds like a great event, and some fantastic times recorded too! Those medals look like dinner plates- I hope the ribbons were strong enough!

As Paul mentioned, I was in Scotland where I completed the City to Summit ironman distance triathlon on Saturday. There were triathlon and duathlon (no swim) and 1 or 2 day categories. I was in the  "expert" 1 day category and cringed every time I had to anounce myself as an expert! It was a long, tough but ultimately enjoyable day, impeccably organised by Rat Race. Their entire event team from the 5am race briefing to those welcoming the final finishers from Ben Nevis with smiles, cheers and handshakes at 0130 were fantastic. Kit was transported to where it was needed and aid stations were well stocked - I've never considered pretzels and Bombay mix as part of my race nutrition, but they worked! The hot food and free bar at the finish line were very welcome as I collected my overnight bag and waited for the transport back into Fort William. 

The swim was cut from 3.8k to @1.2k owing to the unusually cold water temperature. on race morning it was 8C, but the mandatory neoprene hoods and boots helped reduce the shock of entering the water at 6am and I felt much more comfortable than during my last open water swim. Swimming a triangular course from the Forth Rail Bridge to the road bridge and back made the sightings much easier than usual, as even big yellow marker buoys are hard to spot if there's much chop on the water. I exited the swim towards the back of the pack but feeling comfortable, a position I'd maintain until early the next morning. The swim exit was followed by a run of @400m into transition where we enjoyed the unbelievable luxury of a heated changing tent! On exiting T1 the bike course took us through the cobbled streets of South Queensferry, lending a Paris - Roubaix ambiance to the event, as well as ensuring that we knew any remaining drinks, Garmins, gels, saddle bags etc were well secured! The bike course was challenging; the 180k took us over the Forth Road Bridge through Dunfermline - Gleneagles - Lochearnhead - Crianlarich and on up the A82 to Ballachulish. The weather wasn't too bad - some heavy showers and general headwinds, but better than I'd expected and the scenery for most of the route was simply stunning and helped take my mind off the hills. The "run" contained @8000 feet of climbing. In a marathon!!  tough doesn't begin to describe the overall effort off road on a mixture of easy trails and boulder strewn paths with uneven steps. unfortunately the group I was trekking with didn't make it to the top of Ben Nevis - we were @300 feet short but the marshalls were descending with a casualty and the weather had closed in on the summit. The perfect weather conditions of lower down the mountain were replaced by snow and my tri suit and base layer were now under fulll body cover of 3 layers, hat and gloves! 

Not too many aches and pains now but I'll rest up for a bit and look forward to meeting up with forumites at races and triathlons later in the season.

04/06/2013 at 21:14

well guys, W.C.M was a toughie for me, I Was cruising till about 14.5 - 15 miles then cramp set in so it was a long way to go jogging/walking. but in saying that, what a day to remember there were energy sapping parts on the course but where there was support it was fantastic, emotiomal almost! so for my first marathon outing a 4:31 finish time i can live with!  really enjoyed it! 

04/06/2013 at 21:50

Ray that's a fantastic time for such a hard course, well done , so where's the next one gonna be ??

DS , man what can I say that is just fantastic, well done, makes me tired and sore just reading it

19,101 to 19,120 of 20,196 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.