Northern Ireland Running

19,381 to 19,400 of 20,302 messages
03/09/2013 at 21:52

Hi Leslie, I'm running this Sunday, have you ran it before? I ran it last year , enjoyed it so going back for more, p.s Welcome ! 

03/09/2013 at 22:09

Kenny, Great action shot of you at Laganside on N.I Running(col3) , shows you definitely weren't slacking 

03/09/2013 at 22:30

Yes, great shot Kenny.  Also good one of Paul O'H in the first picture on the same stream.  Where's your club vest Paul?

04/09/2013 at 09:43

Martin the one a ECOS was worse.

I did Waterside last year I haven't got the miles in the legs to do it this year. Flattish course I hope you don't get the weather we had last year.  Good luck everyone enjoy the race.

04/09/2013 at 11:09

kenny, I completely forgot that it lashed for the whole race last year , thanks for the reminder

04/09/2013 at 11:58

Thanks for the welcome  Yes I've ran it the last 2 years now being on my doorstep, it was my first half  in many years and it certainly was misable last year with the weather and the forecast for sunday seems to be geting worse by the day .

Did my last tempo yesterday and the derry parkrun on saturday then 12 on sunday and my legs are sore today so did an easy 5 miles to get me moving again.

04/09/2013 at 14:05

We will be alright Leslie, sure we will get round it so fast we'll hardly get wet

04/09/2013 at 14:14

Sounds good to me Martin,Pb's all round  but dont mind the rain anyway, light drizzle is perfect and keeps me cool as after 3 hard miles it looks like ive been in a rainstorm anyway ,its the wind I hate unless its pushing me to the finishline.

Edited: 04/09/2013 at 14:15
05/09/2013 at 21:35

Nice wee 6 mile run with my son this evening , too nice not too , I needed sunglasses  Unlike now it's bloody wild out there !! Leslie that's great mileage your doing and it looks like we are in for the usual weather on Sunday ,best of luck and if you see a large man with a lot of children and a Saint Bernard dog that'll be me so say hello 

06/09/2013 at 11:11

Will keep an eye out for you and the big dog   Did 4 easy this morn still strugging to get over the tempo on tuesday legs just starting to free up again, have been walking like John Wayne last 2 days ..

Race pack collected and I see the Walled city marathon is pencilled in for the 1st June next year so get that in your diaries , I ran it this year ( First Marathon) and will be running it again all well

Edited: 06/09/2013 at 11:12
06/09/2013 at 13:09

Leslie I ran Walled City aswell , man is that Waterside hilly, I really enjoyed it but it was only 3 weeks after Belfast so I really struggled on the hills

06/09/2013 at 14:34

No wonder you struggled Martin doing 2 in a month , I was tempted but then thought it was too much and didnt know if the wcm would ever be run again in the next 30 years so wanted to do it  ...cant wait that long for the next one as im 40 now .

I practiced the hilly parts for a good few long runs so no surprises (still do most weeks now) but Fahan street at 25 miles was so steep, like climbing a wall  I could just keep moving .  plus the race started too early at 8:30 anyone travelling must have have to get up at dawn as I was up at 6am. Not sure how Belfast compares as a course hopefully will find out one day., just been doing more local races up to now ,done the omagh half a couple of times too.

06/09/2013 at 16:33

Hello Folks!

I've been a bit quiet on here recently since my disappointing run at Groomsport. I've managed some decent training since, mixture of club interval sessions, a couple of LRs (14 & 15.5m), hill sessions and trying to keep up with Ricky W on some tempo runs - most recently last night when we somehow managed to avoid the heavy rain in our area. Ricky is flying btw!

My injury continues to grumble but the pain is manageable at this stage. Crunch time now approaching as to whether I commit to Dublin or not. Waterside, Great North Run and a couple more longer LRs and then decision last weekend this month.

Looking to erase memory of Groomsport with a decent even-paced effort on Sunday. Given the choice, I would prefer to run a season (and personal best) at the GNR next Sunday as there's sibling rivalry at stake. My brother (younger and much, much lighter) has been training at a club in Cambridgeshire for the past 3 months as he seeks to avenge last year when I ran away from him in the last mile along the seafront in South Shields. He txtd me this week to inform he'd run his club 5-mile time trial in 33:14 so I've my work cut out!

Hope to see some of you at Waterside and hope the forecast rain stays away.

Edited: 06/09/2013 at 16:34
06/09/2013 at 21:52

Leslie, I still see Fahan Street in my sleep  When I hit the bottom of that hill I just thought "I'm finished" and then a guy shouted "Martin don't stop now , the girls are watching !" I laughed and ran all the way to the finish, a great day 

Ahhhh, there you are Alwyn , people told me you had been kidnapped and they only let you out at night to run round Groomsport, I am also doing the family gauntlet this weekend my 3 oldest boys are running the relay against their sad oul dad. Good to hear from you , hope the injury gets better soon, hope to see you Sunday and whatever you do don't let that Ricky fella get the upper hand there will be no listening to him !!

06/09/2013 at 22:17

Hello all - haven't been on here in a while... not long back from 2 weeks away on hols etc etc & welcome Leslie.

Good to see everyone cracking on - were have the long summer evenings gone? I have had the fluoro gear on again regularly!

Training away for Dublin - now entered & hotel booked.

Waterside for me on Sunday also and my first race in Dromore club colours

Hope to see a few of you there & Martin don't worry - no chance of me beating Alwyn. He's like the mechanical hare at the greyhound track that I chase but never catch on our tempo runs!

06/09/2013 at 23:42

Ahhhh, There you are Ricky , the old holiday ruse when you're actually doing tempo runs round Groomsport at night with Alwyn

We have all had our crap runs this year, Lisburn being mine, the bin men cheered me on at it and thank god for them 

I think Belfast was my only PB this year and I'm glad for it ,after knee injury I was just glad to get out running again and decided most runs would just be an out and round and I've enjoyed them all, now I have to race my sons !!!

Ah well heres hoping, but the craic should be good regardless, see u all Sunday 

07/09/2013 at 15:52

Meant to ask, does anyone know how the runners get to the changeover points for the relay tomorrow ? Are they bussed out? cant find the answer on the race webpage

07/09/2013 at 17:03

Martin it says "The precise changeover points and transport arrangements will be detailed in the Race Pack, available in the week before the race"

so id have a look in there or maybe you dont have it yet ?

08/09/2013 at 12:22

I was over at the Run 'n the Bann 5K on Thursday evening doing the results. Great turnout of 222 runners and 100 walkers.

I did the 3rd run in my parkrun tour yesterday. What a disappointment it was for Portrush's anniversary run. The wind, rain and high tide put a lot of runners off. Conditions weren't as bad as I though they were going to be and once we got underway it wasn't too bad. I think I even got a PB for the course.

What a difference 24 hours makes 9.6 miles done this morning in lovely conditions although it was a wee bill chilly at the start we soon warmed up.

Looking forward to hearing of some good times from Waterside. Conditions so much better than last year.

08/09/2013 at 13:57

Conditions were perfect for the Waterside , even the sun made an appearance  Got a stitch at 11.5 miles which slowed me a little but pushed on as hard as I could then near the line as I was on the grass  I heard "last call for 90 mins lets count them in " or something like it and my legs found another min/mile pace instantly , Hit the line just at 90 :00:00, probally a sec over for a new pb  so well chuffed with that .Couldnt see ya Martin but was busy warming up and chatting to a few other runners I knew.

19,381 to 19,400 of 20,302 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.