Northern Ireland Running

19,401 to 19,420 of 20,179 messages
08/09/2013 at 18:21

Well done Leslie.

08/09/2013 at 21:03

Thanks Ken , Id like to do the portrush parkrun one day , not sure about running on the sand though must be hard work compared to the road should have done it in the summer though by the sound of it .

08/09/2013 at 21:20

Leslie you can get some good days during the winter. You just have to check the facebook page for firm sand and low winds.

I enjoy it because you away from traffic etc although sometimes you have horses for company. You have the sound of the sea in the back ground. it's tough going as you don't get the feed back you would from the roads. It's good training the guys from our club who do it regularly are all flying when they hit the roads.

I usually coach on a Saturday morning so only get to do it during our breaks.

08/09/2013 at 22:41

Great running Leslie - I see you in the results. Sub 90mins & just inside top 100 - well done sir & congrats on PB!

I had a decent run - 1:36.37 which was a PB for me too (by over 5 mins from my previous 2006 HM PB).

Happy with that

09/09/2013 at 08:48
Well done Ricky always good to get a new pb , I cant find the results anywhere though where did you see them.....found it now cheers , 99 place and 1.29.53 on the chip.
Edited: 09/09/2013 at 09:59
09/09/2013 at 13:48

Congrats Leslie on your Waterside run!

Big 'public' congrats to my running buddy Ricky W on a fantastic PB! Never mind the 5min improvement on '06, a stunning improvement on this year's previous HMs!! I told him he was going to easily duck under 01:40 but ....!!! The nature of the Waterside course meant I clocked his progress 'just' behind me at halfway and after 11 miles ... couldn't work out if he was flying or if I wasn't going as well as I felt I was!
In all seriousness, a just reward for dedicated training in recent months ... and joining us at Dromore AC!

Martin, sorry not to catch up with you - I had to dash off to my parents' Golden Wedding celebration in Portstewart.

I was content with my own run at Waterside, especially with how I picked up the pace in the last couple of miles. R.I.P. Groomsport.

In terms of balancing Dublin prep versus running my best at the Great North Run, I've decided to err on the side of tapering for the contest with my brother this Sunday. I've been pouring over my splits last year and working out my race strategy, assuming our starting in Pen B (C last year) will allow a relatively free run without the need for constant bobbing & weaving. I'm anticipating high excitement levels as I board the flight this Friday night!

Edited: 09/09/2013 at 13:51
09/09/2013 at 15:17

Alwyn , Ricky , Leslie , FANTASTIC !!!  Lads that is fantastic running and i'm sure you are delighted with the results.

Ricky you were looking fit and ready to race yesterday so a PB is no surprise !

Alwyn, Wheres Groomsport ? My sons seen you pass the relay point and as they put it " that big fella you know with the headband was absolutely flying !!"

Leslie , what can I say , dipped under the 1:30 WOW

My chiptime was 2:00:54 , which I was delighted with, a course PB and a personal PB, I took about 30 mins of my Lisburn time lol ! My favourite part of the day? coming in 2 minutes ahead of my 3 sons who were racing me as a relay team , stuff dreams are made of and one to chalk up for the over 40's

Next stop Belfast Half Marathon !

09/09/2013 at 17:41

Martin, beating your sons who were ganging up against you as a relay team! That is class!! I'm sure you will dine out on that one for some time. Great PB as well .... and left the opportunity to go under 2hrs for the first time in Belfast - all in all a good job, well done!

ps. killing myself laughing at my new moniker: 'big fella with the headband'. John Rambo - eat your heart out!

09/09/2013 at 18:38

Now you have too keep them behind you Martin as in sure they will up their game and break 2 hours next time as well ..no pressure , Still plenty of miles in us olduns yet 

Just checked and I ran  the waterside half in 2h 2 mins in sept 2011 so get keep at it , my first half with only 3 weeks training and it hurt a lot .After that I decided there would be no more races without proper training though they still hurt but only usually the last 2 miles in a half ....

Edited: 09/09/2013 at 19:49
09/09/2013 at 21:03

Guys I can still see the expectant look change to disbelief on the faces of two boys expecting to cheer on their brother and instead seeing their oul Da hahahahahahaha!! I'm still laughing , Leslie your right they won't let it lie , but by God am I going to milk it in the meantime 

Alwyn we will be expecting a variety of colours and fabrics in headbands now that your my children's fashion guru 

09/09/2013 at 22:46

Gee thanks for the flowers Alwyn  ...credit to you also for pacing me on the tempo runs!

Martin - I smiled when I noticed the BRADY BROS RACING THEIR DA relay team in the results yesterday and chuckled to myself when I then noticed you had beaten them - victory is sweet.
Well done on the PB - just tee'd yourself up nicely for sub 2 @ Belfast! Sorry I didn't get a longer chat yesterday - after what seemed like a 20min queue for the loo it was getting near the off and I was keen to take my place on the "starting grid" with my pacer/mechanical hare AKA Alwyn "John Rambo/Fame dance Academy" McKee.... he tells me he is wearing matching leg warmers next time out  (handy for winter runs)

Didn't get out until after 9pm tonight so full night gear on for a 5 mile recovery run... reminded me of winter training again!

10/09/2013 at 09:44

Hey guys I feel like a bit of a stalker on this as I always read it but never comment! Heading over to Newcastle this weekend for the great north run, anyone that has done it before any tips or advice? Thank you

10/09/2013 at 10:08

Nattybow welcome out of the shadows Cant help with GNR,but I know a fine headband wearing man that will ...............................................(Alwyn thats your cue)

10/09/2013 at 11:45

Brilliant running at Waterside folks. Martin I can just imagine you running past the relay changeovers ahead of the chasing brothers .  Enjoyed the day myself, very pleased to dip under 1.49.  Looks like a huge entry for the Belfast HM.  The towpath is going to be crowded.  Good luck at GNR Nattybow and keep posting here .

10/09/2013 at 12:33

Great running Paul, I seen the entry list for Belfast myself that's a lot of people squeezing up the towpath and walking up that hill in Barnetts park 

10/09/2013 at 13:00

Ricky, that was the first and last time I 'publicly' acknowledge your effort - you're getting far too close to me now - and I'm very upset at you 'out-ing' my legwear plans!

10/09/2013 at 13:17

Welcome Nattybow!

The GNR will always be dear to my heart as getting a place for the 2011 running was the impetus for my dragging my morbidly obese body off the couch.

It's a great weekend with the Junior races (which my locally-based nieces & nephews run in) and the GB&NI vs USA City Games at the Quayside on Saturday.

As I say, this will be my 3rd GNR so any questions, fire away ....

What starting pen are you in? Have you sussed out pre- and post-run travel arrangements? 

10/09/2013 at 13:50

Thanks guys, got a great start Alwyn am in pen B. Hoping for about 1:40 finish but am going to enjoy it more than go for a good time so not going to fixate on that too much. We're staying on Jesmond street which I've been told is close to the start? We fly over on Friday night and home again on Monday evening so looking forward to the whole weekend! 

10/09/2013 at 15:01

Nattybow,

I'm also in pen B and flying over Fri night with sl'eezyjet.

You're well situated on Jesmond Rd which intersects the start of the course just over 0.5 miles in and you won't have too far to walk (warm-up jog!) as you're approaching from the right end of the mile-long start!

The baggage drop with your warm after-race gear works well with the busses easy to locate at the start and finish. It's a bit of a chore trying to get back to Newcastle if you hang around and then get involved with the massed ranks of finishers. My advice would be to not stress & hang around anyway as it's a great atmosphere at the finish. Maybe avail yourself of a free BUPA massage, enjoy the Red Arrows display and watch the 1000s & 1000s of runners still streaming across the line.

I need to head back to the 12mile point at the start of the Coast Rd to rendezvous with my brother's family and cadge my lift back to Newcastle which means unfortunately foregoing the best thing about South Shields: the fish n chip shops on Ocean Rd!! Colmans is the famous one but I highly rate Smith's Chippy, a little further down the road towards the Metro station. If the Metro queues are too long, you can walk on past to the river and get the ferry across the Tyne to North Shields, then Metro back to Newcastle. The ferry queues might not be any shorter but it all adds to the weekend's experience!

If I don't bump into you at the airport, the pasta party or in Pen B (I will be the one wearing the headband and the leg-warmers!!!), have a great North Run weekend!

10/09/2013 at 15:33

Nattybow and Alwyn, hope you both enjoy the GNR. I am going over on Saturday morning and flying home on Sunday evening. Unfortunately for me I have to defer my entry until next year as picked up an injury about 4 weeks ago.

I ran a very pleasing 13.1mile training run on the Sunday and was on a high. I then ran a sesons best 5k on the Wednesday and after this race my piriformis and gluteus muscles went into spasm. Had sports massage and a few visits to physio but think rest is going to be the only cure. I am gutted but will cheer on 3 club mates who are also taking part.

19,401 to 19,420 of 20,179 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.