Northern Ireland Running

19,421 to 19,440 of 19,867 messages
10/09/2013 at 16:22

Rodney,

Sorry to hear your injury jinx has struck again! I'm sure you're very frustrated but you've been at this game long enough now to know patience is always the right medicine. Sounds like you have been getting back into decent shape so hopefully only a minor setback.

I am preparing myself mentally to 'empty the well' on Sunday.....  if I am still keeping pace with my brother near the business end of the race. Having said that, I have mile-by-mile splits in my head and if he goes off too hot, I will let him go and hope Mr. Aesop's fable has the old happy ending!  

10/09/2013 at 17:43

Many thanks for the advice Alwyn it's much appreciated. I'll keep an eye out for you as it seems we're both on the same flight over. Best of luck to you too I hope you have a great race!

10/09/2013 at 17:47

Rodney that's terrible luck your having ,rest up and take it easy.

Alwyn , think of me and the boys, the older ,wiser runner will always shine through, so get over to Newcastle and thrash that cheeky young whippersnapper of a brother 

10/09/2013 at 21:14

Hi everyone.  It's ages since I've been on here but glad to see some excellent running at Waterside etc.  Also heading to GNR with a few other runners from our club and also haven't run it before so any advice welcome.  I'm in pen C so might see some of you.  Nattybow - I ran the Newcastle Park run in July in Exhibition Park and it's only a short walk from Jesmond area.  There's also a Waitrose and Tesco express in area which are useful. Flying out Sat morning from City airport.

Hope you get better soon Rodney.

11/09/2013 at 16:03

good luck nattybow and alwyn this weekend - gnr sounds like a great race to do, so enjoy it! 

rodney hope the injury problems clear up soon, bit of rest and then easing back into it with plenty of stretching seems to work - had an achilles issue myself and had to take the rest option but glad of it now! 

last long run for me this weekend before taper time, always the worst part of marathon training as its when the doubts creep in about enough miles in the bank etc...

11/09/2013 at 16:57

Hi Jason - is this Dublin Marathon taper you're embarking on? I'm behind schedule and looking at 20mile runs last 2 weekends this month and - if I conclude I'm fit enough and enter before 1st Oct cutoff - then another LR first weekend October. 

Hi Irene, the big difference for me with other races is the length of time spent before the off in your starting pen - necessitating shrewd judgement in the timing of stopping hydration and that all-important last comfort break! I ran last year's GNR from Pen C. Had hoped there would be fewer issues with getting past people than my debut from Pen D in 2011 but still found there were lots of runners going a lot slower than the Pen C target time. Although in Pen B this time, my brother and I will be looking to get into the pen early in order to get near the front of it. I'm sure you've looked at the course elevation profile - the little incline in Gateshead after the Tyne Bridge is a bit of a shock after the euphoria of crossing the bridge (with the Red Arrows flying overhead) but it's short enough and once crested, you know there is nothing steeper to come for the rest of the journey. The crowd support is great throughout but really picks up in the second half of the route and the noise and encouragement along that last 1.1miles in South Shields is what the GNR is all about!  

Hope you have a great experience and run well! 

11/09/2013 at 19:48

Jason bit of an early taper for Dublin so I presume it's somewhere else, put us out of our misery,where is it ,anywhere nice ????

11/09/2013 at 21:15

no not for dublin!  wish i had the extra weeks, i had planned another 20 miler for weekend just past but struck down by a cold so had to miss that one!  have an 18 and 20 done already though in previous weeks, and so probably will look at 16/18 this week, taking into account its only two weeks out!  have always tapered 3 weeks but thinking maybe two is enuogh?  not sure if this is smart or not, but if anyone has had success with a shorter taper let me know!

the marathon is in berlin, its the first time ive done one outside of belfast (wont miss the industrial estate...) so looking forward to the differences, i hear its much bigger in terms of numbers, but also flat in comparision to the likes of belfast, so hoping the next few weeks go well and fingers crossed for a pb! 

11/09/2013 at 21:48

Thought it might be Berlin , good man Jason, I've a friend going over to run it as well , it's one of the big ones and being in Germany it will run like clockwork. In my limited experience I have been tapering at 3 weeks, in saying that I tapered for Belfast and just ran a few 8 milers and then ran Derry , with your level of fitness have you not done enough, not worth getting an injury and hobbling round Berlin ! Best of luck and I look forward to hearing how it went 

11/09/2013 at 22:18

Jason, Berlin is on my bucket list. I missed the registration for this year - i thought I'd read on the Berlin Marathon thread that it normally filled up within a month of opening for entries but it closed within a few hours this year! Think it's the 40th anniversary this year? Maybe that contributed to the rush of entries! You did well to get a place. 

As Martin says, probably best to err on side of caution at this stage unless you feel you need the confidence of another LR. Wünsch Dir Gesundheit in diesen letzten Wochen und Viel Spaß in Berlin!

Edited: 11/09/2013 at 22:22
11/09/2013 at 23:54

martin - i hear it is well run, im nervously looking forward to it, i dont usually finish marathons strongly!  which is why ive only ever run up to 20 then tapered, and thought for berlin maybe doing multiple 20s was a good idea, but i think 20 two weeks out would be a bad idea...thinking maybe 16 instead, not taking quite as much out of me! 

alwyn - it is the 40th anniversary, i got lucky with a place, as work managed to get a number of places so coming off the back of belfast i thought it was too good an opportunity to miss...i hear that next year they are doing a ballot kind of system?  posting the link below, i dont know if its a good or bad thing going forward!  but i will be sure to report back on how it goes...and Danke schön!

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/news-and-media/news/2013/09/11/registration-for-the-41st-bmw-berlin-marathon-2014-will-open-on-september-30-2013.html

l

Edited: 11/09/2013 at 23:55
12/09/2013 at 08:46

Hey all, thanks for the heads up from an old timer Alwyn about GNR. So I've a question for you. Do we just use our own bags for the bag drops, or are we expected to get specific bags from somewhere? I'm one of the ones from County Antrim Harriers heading over with Irene from the forum. I some how got put in pen A, even though I put in for a 1:30 - 1:45 time! Bit intimidating. I just have visions of being flattened by a pile of 6 foot professional athletes, when it starts.

Sounds like there has been lots of great running and racing out there. It's been a fantastic summer for both weather and events. It's sad to see the nights draw in and the evening races come to an end.

12/09/2013 at 09:35

TLH, yeh,yeh,yeh, I seen you punching people to get past at Mussendun so I doubt a few professional athletes will frighten you much , have a good one

12/09/2013 at 09:43

TLH, you use your own bag which must have the baggage tag from the bottom of your race number attached to it. Pen A! Brilliant!! Full of "celebrities" and "fast-paced club runners" - there's sure to be ones with a 'celebrity' entry who nobody has ever heard of and, if it's the same as with other pens, plenty who stated a goal time well beyond their capabilities .... so I wouldn't worry about it at all. As I said the other day, we will be trying to get to the front of pen B so if you're at the back of A, I will wave to you! think I saw your photo from the recent Downhill run. I did my last piece of hard work last night (with Ricky: 8m with 5 x Yasso 800m). Sports massage tonight and really now looking forward to the weekend!

12/09/2013 at 14:27

Ok Martin, I take your point.  It would take a brave individual to bully this nor'n ir'n wee woman. Bring on the battle.

Thanks for the info Alwyn, I'll spread the word round my CAH chums.  Like you, I'm done training,  and leaving for Newcastle tomorrow morning.  I've heard that if you want to get a quick start out of pen b, you've to stick to the right hand side.   Apparently all the celebs are at the back of pen A and they slow everyone behind them up.  I fully intend to be at the back of A so might well see you. Safe travels over. 

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend 

12/09/2013 at 21:47

Best of luck to all running the GNR, have a safe trip and a good race 

14/09/2013 at 12:16

Good luck to all the GN runners tomorrow and any one else racing elsewhere.

I will be glued to the TV in the morning on bandana & legwarmer alert.

14/09/2013 at 21:08

Given the forecast, arm warmers and leg warmers could be the appropriate attire 

15/09/2013 at 00:12

It's freaky Alwyn cos u have taken our weather with u as we say in Ireland, it would have roasted you here today, I hope it stays the same 20 miles booked in for tomorrow , best of luck "Leroy" to use an 80's adage ,and bring that brothers scalp home 

15/09/2013 at 18:21

20 miles banked today, lucky enough with the weather as well great running conditions, seen a group out practising the hill in Barnetts park ahead of Sunday not a bad idea

19,421 to 19,440 of 19,867 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.