Northern Ireland Running

19,461 to 19,480 of 20,351 messages
20/09/2013 at 10:19

Good luck to everyone running the new Belfast half it looks a good course and maybe even a PB

21/09/2013 at 22:38
Just read very sad news that a man collapsed and died at the Dublin Half today,poor fella, my thoughts are with his family .
22/09/2013 at 13:35

Martin, I passed a young man lying by the side of the tow path this morning in the Belfast half marathon at about 10.37am around the 12 mile mark. He looked unconscious but seemed to be breathing ok and was being looked after by a couple who had him in the recovery position and were phoning for help. Anyone pass him afterwards? Did he seem ok? It's a horrible sight and something I've seen quite a few times now, always close to the finish.

Otherwise it was an enjoyable race. It's a nice course, except for that nasty wee hill going up to the Mary Peters track. There was no-one I knew behind me, so I just walked the hill  and finished in 1.43 or thereabouts. The parked cars outside the track on the road caused serious traffic congestion though, and the organisers really need to do better than provide just 6 or 7 portaloos at the start. 

22/09/2013 at 21:26

Paul i ran and was a bit in front of you (a few minutes but not much).

When i ran past the guy looked like he had a pretty major muscle problem but wasn't unconscious? He seemed to be rolling round a bit and there were a couple in 50s or so phoning presumably for help?

23/09/2013 at 09:41

Paul I was a couple of minutes behind you - the runner was sitting upright and taking a drink and there was someone with him.  Hard to judge when you're running past, but he seemed ok. A runner did collapse on the track shortly afterwards and looked in some distress and they got medical help to him quickly.

Otherwise, I thought it a good day all round, very much like marathon day on a smaller scale with a great crowd at the finish.  The spectators were just ignoring the parking restrictions and leaving their cars anywhere.  Definitely another event that's here to stay.

23/09/2013 at 09:58

well done guys , I ran in at 2:06:43 , good course a few tight turns but overall a good day out and as you say Paul one thats going to stay, one negative was for the people who were maybe trying their first half or just slower runners, my brother came in at 2:43 and they had run out of medals and it was his first half in the city he was born in, I really hate that, it happened in Dublin last year aswell.

Well done to Jim and Peter for another sterling effort at getting their pacing group home, lads get yourselves a copy of the Daily Mirror theres a great picture of you both in it

Now its back to marathon preparation

23/09/2013 at 10:17

Paul OH I notice there's a post on facebook from a guy who collapsed at the end thanking the medical staff and saying he's ok. Suspect that's him.

I see a few complaining about medals.

23/09/2013 at 10:23
No excuse for running out of medals as everybody had paid in advance so no on the day entries, thats a bit slack .
23/09/2013 at 13:52

Great day in Belfast some thought is needed to be made on the water station locations, First Aid on the tow path due to walkers coming the other way and getting knocked over, parking just crazy, medals and Tshirt. The first one and I am sure these issues will get ironed out next year. Loved the finish on the track but hated the hill I had 8 people I was pacing for under 2hrs and had to barge tired runners out of the way to get up the hill but we all manage to get in so very happy.

23/09/2013 at 15:30

You would think they have the experience of organising the marathon they would have got this right. It was a hot day so some people were probably suffering from dehydration. Some good times well done everyone.

I ran the Rock 'n Roll 5K in Limavady on Saturday and suffered in the heat. That and going off too hard on the first lap took it's toll but finished in 27:09 so was happy.

23/09/2013 at 15:55

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-24208223

explains the problems with the half marathon

23/09/2013 at 17:20

Thanks TG & Paul OH for letting me know about the fella on the tow path. He must have suffered a fit. I noticed there were quite a few running for Diabetes UK.

I think this half marathon will get very popular. I've been talking to quite a few people who don't normally run but are keen to attempt it next year.It's great to see, and should raise a lot of money for charities. I'm sure the organisers will learn from yesterday.

23/09/2013 at 21:42

Thanks for link, Kenny, to article in the Tele on the complaints about the Half Marathon. (Just cancelled my morning delivery last week as, although I like the paper, was rarely getting time to read it).

It sounds like the quoted Ms O'Reilly's management company are slow learners! Rather than being "disheartened" at negative comments, she should be asking herself and her colleagues why they didn't get the basics right. I don't know how long they've been organising the full marathon but 6(!!!!) portaloos at the start is a disgraceful lack of planning never mind the other reported inadequacies of organisation. Unlike a lot of race organisers, I'm guessing her company is a business enterprise seeking a profit? If that is the case, their improvement plan should be seriously reviewed before award of future contracts - the current Lord Mayor is a keen runner and ran on Sunday so should be receptive to constructive criticism.

I didn't participate on Sunday but I strongly feel that shoddy organisation can be forgiven when volunteers put on a race, not when part of an entry fee is going to an events company seeking to turn a profit. Too easy to waffle an excuse about "teething problems" when proper planning would have alleviated or minimised easily predictable eventualities!

Rant over. Rest day today - so no running to deal with the day's stresses!!

24/09/2013 at 08:18
On the marathon website they even told you to pee before you arrived as they wouldnt have many toilets .unfortunately most of us still need to go before the start .It was the same at the walled city marathon 3 portaloos for 1500 people , I guess toilet hire is very expensive these days.
24/09/2013 at 13:22

Being part of the Larne Half marathon committee, I am totally amazed that these things could happen!!  We have meeting, after meeting, after meeting for months in the lead up to our race.  To not provide adequate water & run out of medals is unbelievable, especially as they knew exactly how many were entered into the race!!

Well done to all who completed it. 

One week of big mileage to go for me for Yorkshire marathon on 20th October.  Then i am having a very long rest!!

24/09/2013 at 13:36

I would back up all Alwyn says. Was this event not run by the same people who organise the Marathon if so there should have been no teething problems.

Portaloos cost about £100 each. The medals from China take a few weeks to come as they send them by boat unless you pay a couple of hundred pounds to get them flown in.

25/09/2013 at 11:46

from twitter...

Megan Mackay ‏@megan_mackay16h

2 female runners were approached by a man with knife during the Belfast half marathon on Sunday near Ormeau Rd - a 47yo man arrested

Collapse
  •  Retweeted 
  •  Favorite 
  •  More
27/09/2013 at 08:30

Best of luck to Jason conquering one of the big 5 this weekend in Berlin ,look forward to hearing all about it 

27/09/2013 at 13:07

Ja, stimmt Martin! Hope that Jason has a great experience in Berlin and his post-race report confirms it as a bucket-list race for me.

I'm very depressed as I contemplate a weekend (and probably longer) without running. My right calf muscle gave way during an interval session (with Ricky) on Weds night. Could barely walk afterwards. Been RICEing as much as possible since and feels a good deal better - walking -today ..... but big decision now whether I should enter Dublin and pay my Eur 95 on Monday. Planned LR with the crew on Sunday definitely not happening.

Was looking at parkrun website just now - form of self-torture, looking at things you can't have!! - and came across this post from Dave Moorcroft after his recent visit to Belfast. What an amazing endorsement of the brilliant work the folks at Waterworks parkrun are doing. Given the (often deserved) crap publicity that our capital city can generate, this incredibly positive impression of a visitor should be shouted from the rooftops. Well Done, Mags & the Waterworks team!

Hi parkrun UK
I have thought about Waterworks parkrun a lot since I came back and I came to the conclusion that it was the best experience I have ever had of what it feels like to be in a community of runners.
Maybe it was the weather and the location but on that morning it was incredible to experience a group of people of all ages and abilities united, not just by running, but being part of a really special community. There was such a warmth and energy. There was humour, friendship, great cakes(!) and a chemistry that I am struggling to explain but absolutely felt. Dawn from Join In who went with me was new to parkrun, her background is swimming, but she had a similar experience to me.
Matt, Ruth, Mags and all the team there are brilliant and deserve so much of the credit.
I can honestly say that the two most powerful experiences I have had in sport in the past year or so were London 2012 and Waterworks parkrun in Belfast.
Regards,
Dave Moorcroft

Edited: 27/09/2013 at 13:09
27/09/2013 at 14:10

Alwyn , sign up for Dublin you've the miles in the tank and just rest up for now and enjoy it 

Very high praise indeed for Waterworks , well done Mags and the gang 

19,461 to 19,480 of 20,351 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.