Northern Ireland Running

19,841 to 19,853 of 19,853 messages
16/04/2014 at 00:24

Guys , I'm now moving on to a healthy panic as regards what I should be eating before and during the 50k, should I be still using gels or small but regular actual food, answers on a postcard but all very humbly accepted 

16/04/2014 at 08:31

Leave your gels at home, Martin. Just bring with you a bit of what you fancy The best things are cakes, bananas, oranges, nuts & raisins etc. But they supply most of that anyway at their food stations. Their boiled cake is delicious!

There is no need to panic at all. Just take it easy and enjoy the day.

16/04/2014 at 10:46

Cheers Paul your a gentleman that's settled things

17/04/2014 at 13:24

Martin I hope you get a cooled day than last year. Agree with Paul. There are only so many gels you can take. The girls who did the marathon this year had bars and dried fruit.

Last run tonight before Ballyliffen on Saturday. I'm just looking to get round this year.

17/04/2014 at 15:07

Thanks Kenny, and good luck for Saturday

17/04/2014 at 15:24

Kenny - smash it 

Martin- 50k take some gels anyway you never know but if there is cake well that's different 

Another 20 miler for me this morn no gels and sadly no cake either 

Edited: 17/04/2014 at 15:25
17/04/2014 at 22:51

Hello guys....London completed for me, WOW! Brilliant course and the atmosphere was just something else. Was hoping for around the 3:30 mark but I came down with a bad stomach bug the Sunday prior and couldn't eat or drink for 5 days with out my body rejecting it. I went to the doc and got some medicine. Well....you know in the wee leaflet when it says adverse reactions that only 0.000000001 of people experience? Well I was that 0.0000000001 person and at one stage I thought I was going to give birth to a baby elephant (having no current boyfriend human or otherwise this is impossible) off to a&e where I tell them in panic I'm running the London marathon in a few days this cannot be happening!! So under the strict instructions of the doctor not to run due to dehydration and whatnot, I do what we all on here would do and I ran. According to my garmin the top speed I reached was a 3 min mile at mile 14 to the portaloos when the gels had obviously kicked in. All that crap aside (ahem) it was the best run of my life and regardless of the expletives and everything else I muttered in the latter part of the race you can bet your bottom dollar my name wI'll be the first in the ballot for next year! Absolutely fantastic and a must for any runner of any shape or form

18/04/2014 at 10:07

Nice one, Nattybow! We've all been there with the trots and can feel your relief sprinting out of the portaloo showing (I hope) a 'clean pair of heels'. Well done for completing the race; you were just right to go ahead. I'm definitely in for London next year too even if I have to drag my broken old body round to the finish. 

18/04/2014 at 10:51

Paul the crowd alone would get you round I don't think I've ever seen as many people in my life. And hundreds of people shouting your name and cheering you on make you feel 10 feet tall. What's next on the agenda for everyone?

18/04/2014 at 14:34

just back from London myself, and it really was a great race - pretty much perfect conditions and managed a 10 min PB from Berlin myself, so couldnt have gone much better - the atmosphere really was amazing, and getting water in bottles during a marathon is new to me and was appreciated! my only issue was when wanting to lift the pace a bit 2nd half, there were so many people around you it was basically impossible!  enjoyed it so much nonetheless, and cant be displeased with a PB!  Going to be back in the ballot for next year for sure, but i think as a PB course, Berlin would have the edge over London, but anyone wanting to do a marathon cant go wrong with either of them! 

Coming from doing Belfast each year (including in less than 3 weeks time ) the likes of London and Berlin are a real eye opener into how a marathon should be organised and how you can find a good favourable route even in a busy city! 

also well done nattybow for getting it done, took a lot of determination to run after that week you mention! 

18/04/2014 at 20:02

I couldn't agree more Jason! Well done on your PB Sitting here toying whether or not to register for Belfast myself......registration closes this evening but not sure I can justify the £53! 

18/04/2014 at 21:00

Well done Natty and Jason  , I guess once you have ran the big mara's like london everything else is a bit of letdown. 

Did you both enter with the ballot lottery ?

Yesterday at 00:27

Jason , well done and good to see there is someone like me who squeezes in another marathon 

Natalie, well done under gruesome conditions and congrats on the right decision to run it anyway , you've a heart like a lion 

Natalie , to answer earlier question , Causeway Crossing 50k , in exactly (looks at watch) 2 weeks 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19,841 to 19,853 of 19,853 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.